• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I've got a bunch of dried fruit now what?

TrishCT

As a get well gift, a friend gave me a 2 lb box of dried fruit, including white nectarines, peaches, Angelino plums, October Sun Plums, Blenheim Apricots and Pears. All are pretty good eaten straight, except the pears which are rather mushy and mealy-like.

Other than raisins, dried cherries and cranberries, I don't have much experience with dried fruit...

Would love you to share any good recipes and ideas.

Thanks in advance!

Trish

If they're super-premium dried fruits, it's probably best to eat them straight, just as you'd want to do with really good caviar or whatever. It sounds as though it would be kind of a waste to dried white nectarines and varietal plums in recipes, such as a compote (dried fruits, fresh apples, nuts, wine, spices) or a slow-roasted meat dish (e.g., pork chops with dried fruits).

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Or have a buffet of fruit cakes, each made with a different dried fruit and a different spirit. Makes for a great holiday tablea and amazing memories. People will remember your effort for years, and will eat copious sums of what most often is not the favorite holiday sweet preparation for many.

Dried apricots are good poached in a sauternes or late harvest reisling. You can add a vanilla bean if desired.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

It sounds as though it would be kind of a waste to dried white nectarines and varietal plums in recipes, such as a compote (dried fruits, fresh apples, nuts, wine, spices) or a slow-roasted meat dish (e.g., pork chops with dried fruits).

It may sound like a waste to some... but good product makes for great end results when you make the right decision in all steps. :smile: Certainly I belong to the school that says do not hesitate to make something for you do not have access to what would be considered the best product in that category, but if one has access to these higher quality items and can afford them, it would be a mistake not to use them. A slight difference it may end up being, but to many, that little difference is enough to make a great difference in the end.

My friend David Karp (fruit detective, based in CA) had brought me back some amazing dried apricots from a farm growing what he considered to be some of the highest quality and tasting apricots. They package small amounts for sale. And at a very high price point. The resulting fruit cake, apricot fool and stuffed lamb and chicken are still remembered by all that ate them years ago.

Dried apricots are good poached in a sauternes or late harvest reisling.  You can add a vanilla bean if desired.

Reminds me of our very own Wingdings poached quinces. I must make some today.

Where is she???? I miss her.

She had made them for the IHMRS last year.

Never had quinces treated so wonderfully.

Would love to try these dried apricots poached in sauternes or late harvest reisling.:rolleyes:

Dried apricots are good poached in a sauternes or late harvest reisling.  You can add a vanilla bean if desired.

Would love to try these dried apricots poached in sauternes or late harvest reisling.:rolleyes:

The idea for poached apricots comes from a book by David Lebovitz. It calls for apricots, and a poaching syrup of water, sugar, sauternes and vanilla bean, He serves them with a pistachio and cardamom cake. The combination is sublime. But I frequently will make the apricots by themselves.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

The idea for poached apricots comes from a book by David Lebovitz. It calls for apricots, and a poaching syrup of water, sugar, sauternes and vanilla bean, He serves them with a pistachio and cardamom cake. The combination is sublime. But I frequently will make the apricots by themselves.

Sounds wondeful.

What is the pistachio and cardamom cake like?

Could it be similar to the one we have discussed on eGullet? If so, it is a sensational cake.

My recipe is similar to the one on the egullet recipe archive. Lebovitz does it with a sugar almond crust, but I think that's overkill.

I love cardamom. It has a great flowery flavor and yet it's warm like cinnamon at the same time.

My recipe is similar to the one on the egullet recipe archive.  Lebovitz does it with a sugar almond crust, but I think that's overkill. 

I love cardamom.  It has a great flowery flavor and yet it's warm like cinnamon at the same time.

I would tend to agree with you.

And cardamom and pistachio work very well together. I find it a lovely winning pairing.

And with great quality fruit, I can only imagine the combination becoming even more compelling.

Here you go.... at least some details on the Riesling.

I usually cook with sauternes that are not too expensive. But if I had only one bottle at home, I am the type that would use even a precious one with little fear, for I know it would be just fine..... even if a tad expensive overall. But certainly would be enjoyed by all.

Ethnic dishes that use the savory spices are wonderful with dried fruits, imo -- Middle Eastern, Indian, Mexican.

A wondeful traditional filling for a variety of dishes in Mexican cooking is the picadillo, which is a chopped (the word picada in Spanish) meat or ground meat sauteed with aromatics, savory spices, nuts, and dried fruit. Often there's a salty element, too, like Spanish olives or cotija cheese. You can use chorizo for the meat or use it as an additional flavoring element. Then take this and you can use it for a variety of Mexican entrees, such as enchiladas, gorditas, tacos, whatever you're familiar with, or look into my favorite dish using picadillo, Chiles en Nogada: poblano chiles stuffed with picadillo and sauced with a walnut/sour cream sauce and sprinkled with pomegranate seeds.

But I'm always tossing dried fruit into dishes whenever I think they could use a little sweetness. I always keep golden raisins and dried apricots in the pantry.

Dried fruit and pork go hand in hand this time of year. Either as a chutney/relish as said or for stuffing. Try plumping the fruit up in port and stuff a pork loin, sear and roast. Serve with a port sauce.

Would also work with venison, small game birds....for the fall thing.

hth, danny