• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The eGullet PIE Potluck

SobaAddict70

Oh, what a beauty! :sad: Well, I hope you can share it with others who will appreciate it.

I will try to put a caption on a copy of Sherribabee's photo of, um, PIE. If I can't do that, I'll just do a list

The Libations consumed at the Pie Potluck were (list prepared by our house sommelier, HWOE):

RED WINES:

- Cabernet Sauvignon: Bedell Cellars 1998, North Fork of Long Island (Thanks, MRX)

- Côtes du Rhône: Domaine de L’Oratoire St. Martin, Cuvee Prestige 2001 Cairanne (Thanks, Pan)

- Pinot Noir: Salmon Run (a label of Dr. Konstantin Frank & Sons) NV, Finger Lakes, NY (HWOE)

WHITE WINES:

- Chenin Blanc: Paumonok 2001, North Fork of Long Island (SuzanneF)

- Dry Reisling: Dr. Konstantin Frank, 2002, Finger Lakes, NY (HWOE)

DESSERT WINE (just a little of it):

- Orange Muscat: “Essensia” 2001, Quady Winery, Madera, California (HWOE)

BEERS:

- Ommegang Belgian Style Abbey Ale (Dark), Brewery Omegang, Cooperstown, NY (Thanks, MRX)

- Red Hook IPA “Ballard Bitter” India Pale Ale, Red Hook Brewery, Portsmouth, NH (unless BAW brought these bottles with her from Red Hook’s home base in Seattle—Thanks, BAW)

OTHER:

- Vintage “Original” Seltzer, NV

- Coffee (high test): Cuvée of Café Bustelo (Mexico) & Café Santa Clara (Brazil)

- Tea: Twining's Irish Breakfast (Assam), which I don't think anyone drank

- Half & Half and Whole Milk from Tuscan Dairies, Skim Milk from Enron, er, Parmalat—same as Enron.

- Water: NYC DEP 2004

And thanks to those who left a couple of unopened bottles of wine:

- Riesling Kabinett, Freinsheimer Musikantenbuckel, Erich Bender 2000, Pfalz (put in the fridge to chill and then accidentally forgotten. Honest, it was an accident!)

- Jumilla, Altos de Luzón 2001, Spain

We’ll let you know how we like them when we try them.

Edited by Suzanne F (log)

i2305.jpg

Before

Clockwise, starting in the upper left corner:

Vinegar Pie, alacarte

Potato Pie, Sherribabee

Pecan Pie, elyse (who else? :wink: )

Green Tea Cream Pie, forkAndPen (that's meringue on top; the filling was gloriously green!)

Cold Lemon Souffle Pie, MHesse

Leek Quiche, SuzanneF and HWOE (bought at La Casse-Croute)

Chocolate/Peanut Butter Mousse Pie, Moopheus and Terra

Squash, Apple, and Onion Tart, picaman

Indian "Pizza," SuzanneF

Blueberry Pie, SuzanneF and HWOE (bought at The Little Bigger Place)

Coconut Cream Pie, David K.

And top to bottom, in the middle:

Giant Burger-and-Fries "Pie," KirkL.

Mushroom Pie, baw

Not pictured "before," but you can see traces in the "after" shot:

Apple Crumb Pie, Bondgirl

Trio of sorbets: Banana, Strawberry/Balsamic, Mango/something :blush:, bloviatrix

Haagen Dazs Praline and Cream Ice Cream (hand-packed), jeunefilleparis

Yesterday was fun. I can't think of a better way to spend a snowy sunday afternoon. Everything looked gorgeous. I'm in complete awe of Kirk's burger pie. Especially the supersized homemade bun.

The third sorbet was mango-star anise.

MRX - I need to figure out an exact recipe for the strawberry balsamic sorbet, but once I do, I'll enter into RecipeGullet.

Anyway, here's the Meyer Lemon Tart, which is still meant to be shared.

Party at Joe's!! :laugh: What time should we be there? It would be a shame to let that tart go to waste.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Yesterday was fun. I can't think of a better way to spend a snowy sunday afternoon. Everything looked gorgeous. I'm in complete awe of Kirk's burger pie. Especially the supersized homemade bun.

The third sorbet was mango-star anise.

MRX - I need to figure out an exact recipe for the strawberry balsamic sorbet, but once I do, I'll enter into RecipeGullet.

Anyway, here's the Meyer Lemon Tart, which is still meant to be shared.

Party at Joe's!! :laugh: What time should we be there? It would be a shame to let that tart go to waste.

Waste? Not in my building. I've already turned people away! I'll get you next time Bloviatrix.

Yay!

As for me, I had take out Indian from Chola. Lamb and mint biryaani, saag paneer, spiced potato patties with chickpeas, tomatoes and tamarind chutney, kulfi, carrot halwa.

Nice pix. :biggrin: How was the burger pie? (Er, what exactly was it?)

Soba

Thanks to everyone for their creatvity and contributions. Special thanks to Suzanne and The One Who Only Eats for their hospitality and square footage.

I really think a gumbo/jambalaya shindig would make a fab Mardi Gras event for next time.

:laugh:

Man am I sorry I couldn't make it (I got the Martian Death Flu or something, and who wants Flu Pie?) It looked fantastic, especially "Burger Gothic."

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org

I encourage all you expert piemakers to post recipes on RecipeGullet, except Elyse, who has to maintain her secret formula for professional reasons. And in her case, having another chance to eat that ambrosial Pecan Pie is enough of a treat without having a recipe!

By the by Pan, thanks for that. it's always hard explaining why I can't post a recipe or two.

The second most amazing thing about the giant burger (the first being simply its existence) was that there was still a hint of pink to the meat, even after being cooked, assembled, wrapped, transported (in a cast-iron skillet, no less!), unwrapped, and finally reheated.

And nobody needed to use the ketchup I brought out. (Maybe because it was obviously very ancient ketchup??)

I've added the strawberry-balsamic sorbet to recipeGullet. Here it is.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

hey all - thanks for a great sunday afternoon eating exstravaganza (sp?) and thank you Suzanne and HWOE for very gracious hosts. As usual the company was great - and so was the food. I still laugh a bit when i think of Kirk making that burger to end all burgers - and that it turned out so good!

Pictures should be up sometime tomorrow or the next day.

Belated thanks to Suzanne and HWOE for the great hospitality and the tasty wines, and to everyone for their various pie contributions. I had a fabulous time and the bottomless pit known as my stomach completely enjoyed round one of savories, round two of savories, and rounds three, four and five of desserts!

By way of update, I think the Giant Burger Remnants may soon become tacos or something. I think Kirk may have a thing or two to say about it, though.

:laugh:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

I also want to add my belated thanks to the lovely hosts, suzanne and hwoe, and to everyone else for their hospitality (and tasty pies). Im still amazed at how nicely the monstrous burger bun came out. thanks for that treat, kirk!