• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The eGullet PIE Potluck

SobaAddict70

Uh oh, there goes one of the best cameras! Sherribabee, forkandPen, anyone else, HELP!! :shock:

I'm bringing mine -- it's a good one!

I"m off to the store right now to get my ingredients (yes, I'm a procrastinator -- but that's what makes me special :raz: ).

Sherri A. Jackson

The updated list as of now (Sunday morning, about 11:37am):

SuzanneF + HWOE: (hosts) X-Cultural flatbread pizza; Leek Quiche (bought locally); Fruit Pie (ditto); non-alcoholic beverages (teas, coffees, seltzer)

elyse: Pecan Pie

alacarte: Vinegar pie; Nana's smashed potato pie, plus Tagamet??

MHesse: Lemon Souffle pie plus extra lemon fluff if not already eaten up

bloviatrix: Sorbet (even eGulleers cannot live by pie alone)

sherribabee: Potato Pie

Picaman and KirkL: Apple and onion Tart; TBA

jeunefilleparis: Grilled Cheese Pie?

forkandpen: Something else, I forget what :biggrin:

David K.: coconut cream pie

JosephB and Donna (around 4:30-5): Meyer Lemon Tart

baw: beverage; mushroom pie/tart

Moopheus and spousal unit: ?

Pan: I forget what; plus French red wine :wink:

Bond Girl (around 5:30): Apple Tart

?wawairis

?megc

?Fat Guy and Ellen Shapiro

?R Washburn and his wife

My apologies that we won't be able to make it today. I had the Sephardic meat pie recipe all ready to go, and Ellen was advocating an ice-cream pie, but events intervened and there's no way we're going to be able to make it out. I promise someday to bake each of you a pie.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Suzanne,

I have bad news. We were planning to drive back into the City in time to get to the party by 5:00, but with the bad weather forecasted to continue until 9:00pm I don't want to drive. I have worse news. The Meyer Lemon Tart is ready, and here with me! The best that I can do is to take a photo of it and post it online tomorrow when we're home. Donna and I send our sincere apologies. We’ll make it up to you soon.

I feel like Weebls friend Blob (er Bob) after his Christmas Holiday.

Thanks to Suzanne and Paul for hosting to to all the bakers for bringing their tasty confections. :wub: They were all my favorites.

--mark

Everybody has Problems, but Chemists have Solutions.

Suzanne and HWOE are the BEST EVER! :wub:

Once again, all pies were amazing. Finally, I can sit comfortably without my stomach feeling like it'll burst. Who was talking Creosote?

Ooh! I have pie for tomorrow!

sherri, I LOVE how the knife glints in Burger Gothic! Priceless.

And definitely, Burger Pie was the show stopper. But I'd say that wouldn't I?

I figured you'd like that, Elyse! You should make that your avatar. Oh wait, that would only be suitable for 'Burger Bitch'. Hee-hee.

Sherri A. Jackson

Great pics, Sherri!

Nice meeting you, too.

I also think the wines are worth mentioning, and not just because I brought one. I didn't get to try all of them, but I loved the Riesling from the Finger Lakes (super clean and great with dessert!) and the red wine from Long Island (good initial taste, wonderful aftertaste!). Nice Belgian-style beer, too.

I also did like the Cotes de Rhone I brought, but if I didn't, I'd admit that, too. I think the wine from Long Island was better than the Cotes de Rhone, though!

I hope those who have been ailing are feeling better, but with all that slippery slushy snow, it was a good day for you to stay home. But come next time!

I encourage all you expert piemakers to post recipes on RecipeGullet, except Elyse, who has to maintain her secret formula for professional reasons. And in her case, having another chance to eat that ambrosial Pecan Pie is enough of a treat without having a recipe!

Michael aka "Pan"

sherri, I LOVE how the knife glints in Burger Gothic!  Priceless.

And definitely, Burger Pie was the show stopper.  But I'd say that wouldn't I?

Yes elyse, we make a lovely demented couple. :laugh: As to the Burger Pie, which I guess was actually CheeBurgerFry Pie, :wub:

K.

Not of the Potluck, babe! :wink:

The dishes have all been washed, the forks and spoons and knives and servers have all been washed, and lots (but not all) of the glasses have been washed. The floor was vacuumed. Very little cleanup remains. (HWOE did a big part of it, of course. :wub: )

I will post the complete list of the bounty tomorrow (including wines, some of which never made it out of the fridge, oops :blush: ). It was, needless to say, all terrific. And a delight to meet some of the new folks -- an astrophysicist, a copyeditor, among others -- and to see some others again. And now,I've got to go to bed. Thanks to all who came, and those who couldn't, there will be other potlucks, I expect!

PS: Someone left a plaid umbrella in a cute little plaid carrying case. Who?

Just a real quick note. Thanks to everyone who made me feel so very welcome as a total newbie. The wine was Bedell Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon (1998) and some Ommegang Beer. Next time I'll bring a rhubarb pie!

It was a pleasure to meet so many nice people who enjoy good food as much as I do. Suzanne and Howe, you are wonderful hosts - I love Suzanne's fridge list, esp when you pulled out the curry leaves.

BTW - at the risk of showing favortism, the best thing on the table was the Balsamic/Strawberry Soebert (sp). I want the recipe!

See you at Burger Club or Chinese New Years or.....possibly the Pizza Club!

Just a real quick note. Thanks to everyone who made me feel so very welcome as a total newbie. The wine was Bedell Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon (1998) and some Ommegang Beer. Next time I'll bring a rhubarb pie!

Rhubarb pie! :wub:

It was great meeting you, as well.

Michael aka "Pan"