• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The eGullet PIE Potluck

SobaAddict70

3 o'clock is exactly what I was thinking. And it's a holiday for some the next day (MLK jr), but yes, for those for whom it is not, that should be a good time.

There's plenty of room for hubbies. And even kidlets (too bad, yeah, I was looking forward to meeting SethG's).

Once again, whoever is coming and needs the address and directions, PM me.

Oh wait wait...I thought this was on the 25th, but if the next day is MLK day, that makes the potluck the 18th?

That being the case, I can't make it...I have a performance that day at 4pm in New Jersey. I'm sorry. :sad:

K

Bummer. Send Sam.

I'm in the process of putting together the list of who's coming with what. Will have it up later today. Remember, if you need the address and travel directions, PM me.

IMPORTANT: Please bring cameras; I have none.

Okay: in no particular order, the expected attendees and their proposed contributions:

SuzanneF + HWOE: (hosts) X-Cultural flatbread pizza; non-alcoholic beverages (teas, coffees, skim milk, vanilla soy milk, seltzer)

elyse: Pecan Pie

alacarte: Vinegar pie; Nana's smashed potato/Crisco pie, plus Tagamet??

MHesse: Lemon Souffle pie

SobaAddict70: Lamb Shepherd's Pie (depending on availablity of really fresh shepherds); or Quiche

Jason and Rachel: Little fillo pies

bloviatrix: Sorbet (even eGulleers cannot live by pie alone)

sherribabee: Potato Pie

Picaman and KirkL: Apple and onion Tart; TBA

jeunnefilleparis: Grilled Cheese Pie

laurenmilan: Chai Spice Apple Pie; White Chocolate Mousse/Pumpkin Spice Mousse Pie; Durian Meringue Pie

forkandpen: Chicken Pot Pie

Al_Dente: Beverage

slkinsey sans BergerK

Pan

wawairis

megc

El Gordo and Ellen

R Washburn and his wife

Bond Girl

Moopheus and spousal unit

JosephB and Donna (late in afternoon)

Nothing on this list is set in stone, except me and HWOE. If you have not stated your intention to come, you still can/may. If you have not declared your offering, you still can/may (or not: surprise us!). And if you're on the list here but can't come after all, we'll miss you. :sad::sad:

Edited by Suzanne F (log)

3 o'clock is exactly what I was thinking. And it's a holiday for some the next day (MLK jr), but yes, for those for whom it is not, that should be a good time.

There's plenty of room for hubbies. And even kidlets (too bad, yeah, I was looking forward to meeting SethG's).

Once again, whoever is coming and needs the address and directions, PM me.

Oh wait wait...I thought this was on the 25th, but if the next day is MLK day, that makes the potluck the 18th?

That being the case, I can't make it...I have a performance that day at 4pm in New Jersey. I'm sorry. :sad:

K

Bummer. Send Sam.

Well, you know, ideally, being my boyfriend and all, he'd come to the performance so there'd be ONE audience member there...

but he'd probably rather have pie.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Now that I think I finally figured out how to navigate the site, I'd like to sign up for the no-doubt sumptous Pie Pot Luck on the 18th. It sounds phenomenal! I'd like to bring a coconut cream pie that I've been perfecting for a while, so please add me to the list. Thanks. :rolleyes:</span> Edited by David K. (log)

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Now that I think I finally figured out how to navigate the site, I'd like to sign up for the no-doubt sumptous Pie Pot Luck on the 18th. It sounds phenomenal! I'd like to bring a coconut cream pie that I've been perfecting for a while, so please add me to the list. Thanks. :rolleyes:</span>

Um . . . when you come, we'll teach you what you do and do not have to do to get your posts up, now that you've been vetted. :wink:

I LOVE coconut cream pie, and haven't tasted a good one in years. Bring it on! :biggrin:

Very sorry, but I found out that I will not be able to attend after all. I'll sure miss all that fun, and I do look forward to the next Burger Club meetup, wherever that may be!

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org

No Durian Meringue Pie? :sad:

You REALLY thought I was bringing that? Oh man that'd be a doozie! :raz:

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org

baw: YAY! Another new face! :biggrin: Not to worry, I've had many more in my loft. Definitely room for one more. PM me with your closest subway line, or bus, if that's what you prefer, or point of entry if you're coming from outside Manhattan, and I respond with the address and travel directions.

Beverage contributions of all sorts will be greatly appreciated. And as for the food, as long as you can make a case for its being somehow related to pie, it's okay with us.

:smile:

The updated list as of now:

SuzanneF + HWOE: (hosts) X-Cultural flatbread pizza; non-alcoholic beverages (teas, coffees, seltzer)

alacarte: Vinegar pie; Nana's smashed potato pie, plus Tagamet??

SobaAddict70: Lamb Shepherd's Pie (depending on availablity of really fresh shepherds); or Quiche

jeunnefilleparis: Grilled Cheese Pie

Al_Dente: Beverage

David K.: coconut cream pie

JosephB and Donna (late in afternoon): Meyer Lemon Tart

baw: beverage; mushroom pie/tart

?slkinsey sans BergerK?

?Pan

?wawairis

?megc

?Fat Guy and Ellen Shapiro

?R Washburn and his wife

?Bond Girl

?Moopheus and spousal unit

Savory pie or pie equivalents: 8

Sweet " " " " 5

Other: Beverages: 2 Sorbet: 1

Shaping up quite nicely and diversely. :smile:

I will most likely be unable to attend the PPL.

I had an accident Monday evening as I was changing a ceiling lightbulb and fell hard on my left foot. Preliminary diagnosis at St. Vincent's today was that there may be a potential calc fracture on my left foot (which is the bone which forms the primary support structure for your foot -- in the area directly in front of your heel). I have an MRI scan scheduled for Monday, and am on short-term disability for the forseeable future. As you can imagine, I'm attempting to stay off of my feet for as much as humanly possible, something that will be impossible if I'm travelling to/from my place and Suzanne's place.

In any event, I expect lots of pictures in my absence!!!

S.

I can't make it either :sad:

Work has intruded upon my weekend plans, and my DC friends who have a pad in Jersey City (where I was going to stay) will not be there this weekend.

I may be able to do the following weekend instead (with Monday thrown in for a 3 day weekend). Will there be a burger club event? Sunday afternoon drinking club? Chopped liver at the deli club? H&H Sunday Morning Bagel club?

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

The updated list as of now:

SuzanneF + HWOE: (hosts) X-Cultural flatbread pizza; non-alcoholic beverages (teas, coffees, seltzer)

alacarte: Vinegar pie; Nana's smashed potato pie, plus Tagamet??

jeunefilleparis: Grilled Cheese Pie

David K.: coconut cream pie

JosephB and Donna (late in afternoon?): Meyer Lemon Tart

baw: beverage; mushroom pie/tart

?slkinsey sans BergerK?

?Pan

?wawairis

?megc

?Fat Guy and Ellen Shapiro

?R Washburn and his wife

?Bond Girl

?Moopheus and spousal unit

Oh, poo. I mean, that Al Dente and Soba won't make it. You will certainly be missed. :sad:

Soba, yeah, you don't want to try to get around, especially if this snow gets worse. And I don't think we'll be able to hold any leftovers to drop off at your place when some of us go to Amma for lunch on the 30th. Hope you are not so badly hurt after all, and recover soon.

And Al Dente -- ain't it a shame that we have to work for a living? :hmmm: Another time. Check the SADC thread for dates; I think the next BC is not until the 31st.

I'll be bringing a bottle of French red wine that a salesperson at Astor Wines loves so much it took some prompting to get her to divulge the information and I wouldn't buy it until I was sure there would be enough left for her to buy for herself.

Soba, that really sucks! I wish you a speedy recovery!

Michael aka "Pan"

The strawberry-balsamic vinegar sorbet is done - although it made less than I expected. Two more to go.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

No Durian Meringue Pie?  :sad:

I think I just lost the will to live.

:sad: I think i am going to have to resort to irational mesures. I will run down to chinatown - screaming DURIAN!! DURIAN!! at all the chinatown produce dealers and one of them will throw one at me to stop - THEN I willl somehow get them to make a meringue with it.