• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The eGullet PIE Potluck

SobaAddict70

OK, I'm in!

I heard about this potluck at the Burger Club meeting today, and would love to participate..

Okay, I want some of Elyse's pecan pie. There, I said it... : :blush:

So far, I'm thinking of contributing some white chocolate mousse&pumpkin mousse pie in a gingersnap crust, and some chai-spiced apple pie (with 5 spice whipped cream to garnish - think they'll let me fire up the handblender?)

This sounds like a lotta fun...

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org

Lauren -- handblender, hand mixer, stand mixer, whisk, whatever you need, you shall have; you won't even have to bring it, I've got all of the above. How neat if you come! Only please, no durian. :laugh:

Damn, and I was gonna wow the crowds with my Durian Meringue pie (Tony Bourdain might show up, ya never know...)

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org

I am in for the pie potluck - getting to try that much pie has to be good for you.

I am not decided yet but tomorrow i am going to try out a chicken pot pie that might make the cut - any already making that (not that we both can't) ? Of course i might want to be more adventurous - hmm

Joe

Lauren -- handblender, hand mixer, stand mixer, whisk, whatever you need, you shall have; you won't even have to bring it, I've got all of the above. How neat if you come! Only please, no durian.  :laugh:

Damn, and I was gonna wow the crowds with my Durian Meringue pie (Tony Bourdain might show up, ya never know...)

I'll eat the Durian pie if you bring it.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I'm bringing my very inventive (and yet to be invented) potato pie. :rolleyes:

I distinctly remember experiencing a durian at the zoo in DC. One of the other panda people brought one on for a 'show and tell' exercise. It looked and smelled like something that no human being should be allowed to go near, but it tasted quite good.

Sherri A. Jackson

I'll eat the Durian pie if you bring it.

If I don't pass out halfway through preparing the custard...

Heh, we could disguise the smell under the layer of meringue... hmmm....

Edited by laurenmilan (log)

Oh please, no durian. Please. Not unless cooking removes the stink and you are planning on cooking the filling.

I'm still planning on doing little fillo pies.

Lauren, this is obviously EXTRA reason for you to bring a Durian pie.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Kirk and I will be there. I'm bringing an apple and onion tart and Kirk will bring something as well--yet to be determined and probably made on a whim as he's baking all the time anyway.

:smile:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

I know that I will just seem like a "bumpkin from Flyoverville" by asking this but-Is Durian easy to find up there in that Culinary Mecca that is New York? I once made a fairly serious effort to find it in New Orleans, but no dice.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I know that I will just seem like a "bumpkin from Flyoverville" by asking this but-Is Durian easy to find up there in that Culinary Mecca that is New York? I once made a fairly serious effort to find it in New Orleans, but no dice.

Durian trees grow like weeds in Central Park. I've never seen them, but I've smelled them.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Oh please, no durian. Please. Not unless cooking removes the stink and you are planning on cooking the filling.

I'm still planning on doing little fillo pies.

Lauren, this is obviously EXTRA reason for you to bring a Durian pie.

Unlabeled, of course.

I love you guys. You may not all be certified, but you're certainly all certifiable.

The Pie Potluck has been entered into my calendar in INK!!

Now, do you guys want something I know works or an experiment?

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs