• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The eGullet PIE Potluck

SobaAddict70

Oh, Pan, you silly boy.  This is eGullet: we might be embarrassed at the culinary shortcomings of others, but never by our own.  :raz:  There, feel better now?

(Wo)man cannot live by pie alone -- try as we might.  Got to wash it down somehow.  Yes, please, wine is absolutely necessary.  :biggrin:

All right; then you can count me in. I'll be bringing a wine that a saleswoman at Astor Wines was reluctant to share with anyone. I didn't buy the bottle until I was sure enough bottles remained for her.

Michael aka "Pan"

Ooops. was I supposed to? k.

Ta-Da! Announcement:

The next semi-annual New York Potluck will take place on Sunday, January 18, 2004, in Lower Manhattan, at a time to be determined. The theme will be:

PIE: think outside the crust.

Which is not to say that inside the crust will be ignored, nor the crust itself. :unsure:

Just that if you can call it pie, it is pie. And it is good.

Watch this thread for more details. :biggrin:

Not illegal of course.

But....pie needn't be thought of as something that requires baking skills (i.e., pastry):

you could do for instance:

shepherd's pie

bread pudding

tamales

artisanal pizza

or if you really wanted to think outside the crust (heheh):

any cold weather winter food such as a stew or soup

roasted vegetables

baked ham or loin of pork ("it's just the filling without the crust, yeah that's it") :wink:

See? it's not so bad after all. :laugh:

Soba

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)

Not illegal of course.

But....pie needn't be thought of as something that requires baking skills (i.e., pastry):

shepherd's pie

bread pudding

tamales

artisanal pizza

roasted vegetables

baked ham or loin of pork ("it's just the filling without the crust, yeah that's it") :wink:

Soba

I'm bringing a potato pie (something we kind of made up after Burger Club on Saturday -- I think it will be interesting).

And I've got something else in mind that would be a stretch to call 'pie' but we'll see...

Sherri A. Jackson

I'm bringing a potato pie (something we kind of made up after Burger Club on Saturday -- I think it will be interesting).

We did? What did we say?

We (at least SuzanneF and Bloviatrix) were talking about latkes, and then about how they would make an interesting crust for something -- like a pie -- and how...well...I don't want to ruin the surprise. :raz:

Sherri A. Jackson

We did? What did we say?

We (at least SuzanneF and Bloviatrix) were talking about latkes, and then about how they would make an interesting crust for something -- like a pie -- and how...well...I don't want to ruin the surprise. :raz:

That's right. Slipped my mind.

Oh, NEAT!! Potatoes are, after all, one of the basic food groups, right up there with bacon, steak, and . . . um . . . oh yeah, BUTTER.

You forgot the duck fat group and the chocolate group.

:laugh:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Not illegal of course.

shepherd's pie

bread pudding

tamales

artisanal pizza

roasted vegetables

Soba

ok, lets put it this way, I can't bake or for that matter cook, but I make a great grilled cheese:)

"Is there anything here that wasn't brutally slaughtered" Lisa Simpson at a BBQ

"I think that the veal might have died from lonliness"

Homer

• 3 weeks later...

Just bumping this up to remind people:

The Next NY Potluck:

Date: Sunday, January 18, 2004 (not Superbowl Sunday, but probably conference championship{s})

Time: TBA, probably late afternoon-ish

Theme: PIE: think outside the crust

We did? What did we say?

If you want, I can give you my Nana's recipe for Smashed Potato Pie. It includes obscene amounts of Crisco, but it sure is tasty. I recommend a Tagamet chaser.