• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I've got a bunch of pears.

mtdew

Ask slkinsey about the pear tarte tatin he made one time. O.M.G. :wub:

he made it in a GIGANTIC cast-iron pan, too, so it used a lot of pears.

Also--pear butter! Same recipe as apple butter (core and peel pears, cook them till they get soft, run them through a food mill, add sugar to taste, cook in oven or on stovetop until it reaches very thick buttery consistency, pour into sterilized jars, cool, eat and use as Christmas gifts!), only with pears. MMMMM.

K

edited to add the pear butter thing.

Edited by bergerka (log)

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

Make a poundcake, and top slices with roasted pears, serve with vanilla-infused whipped cream on the side.

Make a pear chutney, serve with pork or chicken. Or a pear salsa, for use with chicken or fish.

Poach pears in syrup, hollow with a melon baller. Stuff with ice cream or chocolate mousse, dip top half in simple syrup and bottom half in raspberry sauce. Serve in a pool of raspberry coulis, with whipped cream on the side.

Bake in a baking dish, dotted with butter and brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg or allspice. Drizzle dark rum. Bake until pears are tender, serve by itself or with a soft cheese, or topped with crushed biscotti.

Soba

MtDew, with apologies, I copied your heading for my query about dried fruit....

1. Pears mixed with canned pineapple make very nice preserves.

2. Pears poached and served over ice cream with chocolate sauce.

3. Pear & Apple Crisp.

If you bake, what about a pear and frangipane tart? I made one a few weeks back using NeroW's recipe that was delicious.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Make a light simple syrup (four parts water to one part sugar) bring to a simmer and let pear halves simmer until warm but not cooked through. Place in jars, seal and give a hot water bath for about 20 minutes. Delicious all year long.

Make pear breads, they are the batter type of breads and easy to make. Make several, put them in heavy freezer bags and freeze them. You can toast slices for breakfast or for a family dinner for dessert topped with ice cream.

WorldTable • Our recently reactivated web page. Now interactive and updated regularly.

I too have an abundance of pears, this year. I intend to make and freeze pear sorbet. I learned the hard way that lemon juice must be waiting for the pear juice when the pears are juiced or pureed or the juice will turn brown as apple cider in a heart beat if it is not acidified. I have a pear tree that produces pears that grow sweet, but never ripen into the soft pears we are familiar with. Pear sorbet with pears from my own tree for Thanksgiving dessert will be something I will serve with pride this year.

HC

If you bake, what about a pear and frangipane tart?  I made one a few weeks back using NeroW's recipe that was delicious.

ooh-just saw a recipe in the latest saveur- quince frangipane tarts- there's the accompanying recipe for quince "fruit cheese" reckon that pears would work as well.

"Ham isn't heroin..." Morgan Spurlock from "Supersize Me"

the pear frangipane tart is a great idea - the River Cafe Cookbook's version is the best I've ever found. or, make a pear tart with walnut pastry and lots of cinnamon.

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

• 4 weeks later...

pear ice cream is wonderful (Chez Panisse Desserts has a great recipe).

I've also made pear sorbet and served the two together; nice contrast in textures..

or I've served the pear ice cream w/crispy butter pecan cookies.

re: another post above, I just (1 hr ago!) made the quince butter/jam recipe given in November's Saveur (going to use it in the quince frangipane tart recipe for T-day)--it is awesome! My first experience in cooking w/quinces and I am really happy. It looks beautiful (rich rose color) and the taste is a wonderful blend of peach-rose-ginger-apple...

sorry to go off topic! :biggrin:

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

25 years ago I had a salad at The Ranch in Ojai, CA that I have never forgotten. It was a salad of pears in a tarragon viniagrette with crumbled Maytag and toasted pecans (or maybe it was almonds and I just make it with pecans) on a leaf or two butter bib. Nothing "Bammin'" about the dish, but as delicious and rich as anything I've ever eaten.

Aidan

"Ess! Ess! It's a mitzvah!"