• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Epernay in Montclair

Rail Paul

We were way in the corner against the wall (to the left when you enter) by the vent. I had a blue-ish polo on, my wife had a black shirt on...maybe you saw us. My wife was not feeling too well, so I basically finished off our entire bottle of wine myself. :laugh:

So sorry. Didn't see you . It would have been fun to run into another eGulleter! We were at the opposite end of the restaurant. BTW--the people next to us had the rabbit and said it was fabulous.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Haven't been to Epernay yet, but after reading all the positive reviews, we'll have to get there. Does anyone know if they have a website? I searched, but came up with nothing. Thanks.

www.cookstour.netMy Blog

• 8 months later...

Perfect! Perfect! Perfect! I don’t get to Epernay 6 Park St, Montclair often enough.

Four of us shared an entrée sized order of mussels in white wine, garlic and parsley. We were using our spoons to scoop of the delicious broth after we finished all of the mussels. Also shared one order of French fries.

I had the plat du jour, short ribs, which came with mashed potatoes and baby carrots—excellent. If you like tuna don’t miss the herb and pepper crusted tuna with lentil salad, and a shallot vinaigrette. Lowell had this and I kept stealing tastes from his plate. Friends had the free range chicken with mashed Yukon gold potatoes, tomato confit and braised mushrooms and the braised lamb shank with polenta, baby carrots and scallions. There was not a morsel left on anyone’s plate. Of course we couldn’t bypass dessert and had the chocolate mousse served in a soup size cup; lemon tart; crème brule; and apple tarte Tatin. BURP!!! Chef/owner Mark Papera is very talented and I love his cooking! Reservations: 973-783-0447.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

You just made my mouth water. Saturday afternoon and I am not too too far drom Epernay. I agree 100 % with your rave reviews, however, the last time I was there, the waitress discouraged me from getting the mussels as an entree because the dish was so plentiful. Anyway, think we had the duck, which was tasty. Now I have to have mussels and a good glass or two of wine.

Heuriger Wein is mein Lieblingswein!

• 4 months later...

My comment in the Great Notch Inn thread got me thinking about this place and the fact that I never see it mentioned here on eGullet. What do people think of it? We have been there a number of times and have always had a good meal. I love a tasty hangar steak, and they are one of the few places we have been that I enjoy it.

So, do you Epernay?

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

In the words of Popeye, "Well blow me down!!" There ARE lots of posts about Epernay....I guess we should talk about it more...

Should we merge these threads?

This place was beaten up pretty badly on the old board when it opened, but I had a pleasant experience.

The thread Rosie has pointed to is 99% favorable. I think Rosie has called it one of her faves in NJ. I had a nice meal there last year as well. Place didn't really need a renovation, as I recall.

A very good idea!!

This place was beaten up pretty badly on the old board when it opened, but I had a pleasant experience.

The thread Rosie has pointed to is 99% favorable. I think Rosie has called it one of her faves in NJ. I had a nice meal there last year as well. Place didn't really need a renovation, as I recall.

A very good idea!!

The "old board" refers to Rosie's former FoodBytes site. A number of regulars on that site, including me, joined eG in July and August of 2001

Several people beat Epernay pretty hard on food and service. I believe my post was the first about Epernay on eG, and it was quite favorable

I would not presume in a December 2001 post, to predict what subsequent eG posters might write in the 2002 and 2003 threads which have now been merged. If I had that gift, I'd apply it in the stock market or the commodities field. :biggrin:

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

• 2 months later...

Ate at Epernay on Saturday night. Were seated promptly indoors at a cramped table. Table behind us was way too close--we didn't change table as they were just finishing dessert and we could move their table a bit. Upon being seated, nicely crusted bread and herbed butter were placed on the table. Waitress came over promptly to recite the special-- Duck confit on mesclun salad with figs and vinaigrette.

My wife started off with the Bacon, Bleu cheese salad with mustard vinaigrette and a poached egg. This salad was fantastic--- you were supposed to chopped the egg up in the salad. Bacon was large chunks of meaty country bacon. I had the steak tartare-- when i ordered, the waitress asked me, "how i wanted it cooked?". I looked at her as if she had 2 heads, and she responded,"oh, sorry, but a lot of people asked for it medium or medium rare and don't understand that it's raw meat." That may be so, but if I ordered it and didnt know it was raw-- think that's a bit of an embarassing way to tell someone that. Regardless, was a generously spiced mound of chopped tenderloin, served with garlic toasted baguette slices, cornichons and a dijon mustard sauce. We also split an order of fantastic fries served with a garlic aioli.

For the main course, my wife had seared tuna on a mixed salad, which was just ok, while I had the duck special. My duck was very good, although not great. It was served over mesclun salad with a vinagrette and roasted figs. Confit was a tad too dry, however flavors were good. Had 2 forgettable desserts and coffee. Service was attentive. Bill before tax and tip was $82. Overall, very good, although not the best meal I've had there.

Dined at Epernay a few weeks ago on a busy Saturday night.

The range of what my boyfriend (and dining companion) will and will not eat is very small and unvaried. So, when the appetizer salad of frisee with blue cheese and lardons arrived, he would not crack the oozy yolk over the top. I did and thought that the yolk brought all of the flavors in the salad together. The frisee was still crisp, and the sharp dressing complemented the creaminess of the cheese and the richness of the egg yolk. This is one of my favorite salads, and Epernay's rendition was almost perfect. I also ordered the pate, which was served with cornichons and a spicy mustard. The pate was good, not smooth as I like, but made with bigger chunks of meat. It was tasty, but I will substitute it for one of the mussel dishes next time.

Our dinner was lovely as well--the steak frites straightforward and tasty. I ordered the Saturday special--duck confit. The portion was almost shockingly generous--two very large duck legs atop a salad of favas, asparagus tips, peas, and artichoke hearts all in a basil pesto. The confit was warm and very duck-y tasting. Delicious, if not too rich with the oil from the pesto and the fat from the duck! Desserts were profiteroles with an addictive warm chocolate sauce and chocolate mousse. Both tasted as if they'd been made with high-quality bittersweet chocolate. YUM!

My only complaints: Our server came to our table three times in 5 minutes (no exaggeration) to take our order. I did not want to be rude, but I thought this was very pushy. Our appetizers arrived almost instantaneously and our dinners arrived shortly thereafter. After that, our server disappeared. This was fine, as we wanted to linger after our harried beginning. Still, as another poster remarked, following-up and keeping good and even timing between courses are both important points. I also thought that the food looked very quickly put together--but then again, it probably was, and that is me being a perfectionist.

Walking by later that week, I stopped to tell Courtnay that I enjoyed my meal. She told me that Mark is the only person in the kitchen cooking everything and that he has one other person in there helping with salads. What a feat! I look forward to going back.

A question--when dining at a BYO, do you tip as if you had bought a $20-or-so bottle of wine?

Edited by emilymarie (log)

"After all, these are supposed to be gutsy spuds, not white tablecloth social climbers."

• 4 weeks later...

In these days of Fascino-Rocca-Village Green induced bliss, I thought it would be fun to head back to an old favorite of ours, Epernay. I've always enjoyed this place for its light-hearted approach to what is one of my favorite cuisines, french bistro food. Something about being there on a busy night, fighting for space, trying to hear my dinner guests, energizes me and reminds me that dining with people is more fun than dining alone. They also serve two of my favorite things to eat, frisee salad and hangar steak. It is with rare exception that I don't order these two. Last night was no exception...

We arrived a few minutes late and were promptly seated by Courtnay without giving her our names. Considering it had been nearly a year since we had been there last, I was happy to see she somehow remembered us. Our server happily opened our wine (both bottles, need both a red and a white! :biggrin: ) and told us of the special (cote du boeuf). She was very nice and we enjoyed her service.

I ordered my usual frisee salad and hangar steak. Amy ordered a tomato salad and halibut. Having eaten the frisee salad many times, I feel they really overdress their salad, so I requested they go light on the dressing. I was annoyed when it came out swimming in dressing. Ugh, its frustrating, and i am going to start a new thread about this subject. Anyway, Amy's salad was good. Entrees were terrific.

I still love this place, even with all the new stars out there. The service is always warm, and I like the fact that one of the owners is always on the floor watching everything. The food is a terrific value and the atmosphere is charming. I wonder why we don't talk more about Epernay on eGullet. If you haven't been in a while make a reservation. For a friendly night out, it can't be beat...

No surprises at Epernay last night. This restaurant is consistently outstanding. Started with our favorite appetizer-- mussels in white wine, garlic and parsley. Finished the sauce with a soup spoon rather than bread to save some calories! Also shared their addictive French fries and country pate with cornichons and Dijon mustard.

Two of us ordered the wonderful roasted wild salmon. The accompaniment of chunky ratatouille and red pepper coulis made for a most pleasing dish. The roast poussin was juicy and tender with crisp skin. All that was left on the plate were bones. Also loved, Lowell’s herb and pepper crusted tuna served rare with lentil salad and shallot vinaigrette.

Desserts should not be missed. Chocoholics will love the profiteroles filled with ice cream accompanied by a pitcher of warm chocolate sauce and the chocolate mousse. The lemon tart and crème brulee were also delicious.

Epernay is quieter in the summer and parking in Montclair was much easier. If you live in the area and want to “order in” Epernay has curbside pick-up Monday through Thursday. Reservations: 973-783-0447.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

I've eaten here three or four times in the past month, and have had only overwhelmingly positive experiences.

The mussels and the famous Thursday Cote de Boeuf are every bit as fabulous as the many postings here describe, and in fact such other offerings as the Friday Poussin and the Saturday duck confit are equally sublime. It's pretty clear that the chef cooks with a very sure hand and pulls off perfect executions every time - and he has just a wonderful sense of French eating - dishes are rich, and bold, and thoroughly satifsfying each time. I've found no mis-steps, and no badly conceived dishes whatsoever.

And he and his wife Courtnay have a most winning attitude towards their customers and their line of work - it shows not only in what he sends forth from the kitchen, but in the warm, welcoming, and caring attitude of everybody who works there. It's just a very winning combination all around.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

• 1 month later...

Have you seen the new Fall menu here? It looks fabulous !!!

I ate (yet another outstanding meal) there just before they closed for vacation, and they had the menu available. Things that are new on the standard menu include:

Duck Confit on Pumpkin and Blue Cheese Risotto, Fried Sage, Walnuts

and

Smoked Pork Chop with Polenta, Braised Cabbage, Bacon and Dried Cherries

Mark says that the pork chop is "really good", and I believe him!

New daily specials are:

Monday - Cassoulet

Tuesday - Choucroute

Friday - Pot au Feu

Saturday - Short Ribs

The night we were there they brought us a preview tase of the Pot au Feu, and it was absolutely sensational !! (Gee, what a surprise.) There's also a whole new batch of soups that include:

Mussel Bisque

Tomato in Puff Pastry

Lentilles du Puy with Foie Gras Crouton

Vegetable and White Bean with Herb Oil

Good Lord, it all sounds obscene, and I'm sure it is. I cannot wait for them to reopen !!

Edited by markk (log)

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

Thanks for the preview, markk. My husband, the cassoulet addict, loves Chef Mark's version. Now that the weather is beginning to turn autumn-like and it's back on the menu, that assures another visit to Epernay in the very near future.

We were last there a couple of weeks ago. We went specifically because my husband had a yen for the splendid bouillabaisse. Despite its gigantic size, he didn't leave a lick. Since it's not my cup of fish soup, so to speak, I ordered the roasted salmon. It was of the wild Atlantic variety, a huge piece that was done exactly as I requested -- cooked through but not dried out. Delicious! I have to admit, though, that I was a bit disappointed with the accompanying soup-like ratatouille because it didn't contain any eggplant, which I think is an essential ingredient in the perfect ratatouille. (I adore eggplant in any way, shape or form.)

We began the meal by sharing the heirloom tomato appetizer -- excellent -- and ended by sharing the profiteroles. We've had the profiteroles before, so I was surprised that the chocolate sauce was not warm this time. I thought about mentioning it to Courtney or our server but, since we had already poured it all over the profiteroles and it all tasted just fine, we decided to let it go.

Before we left, we talked with Courtney for a couple of minutes. During the meal, I mentioned my suspicions to my husband and she confirmed them -- she and Mark are expecting their second child in January. She said she plans to continue working at the restaurant after the baby arrives.

I have to add (again) that the frisee salad is outrageous. I keep wanting to try something new, like the mussels that everyone raves about, but I end up ordering it every time I'm there.

Well, one doesn't preclude the other, you know. I frequently make a meal of the frisee salad as an appetizer, and the dinner-sized mussels as my main course - and it's a wonderful meal!

I thought the same thing when I saw the menu in the mail. Cold weather is here, time to break out those Rhones and start eating real food... :biggrin: