• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

San Antonio, Texas

diner

As far as BBQ goes, she needs to rent a car (if she doesn't have access to one already) and drive over to Luling and Lockhart on a "BBQ Day."

At Luling, go to City Market. At Lockhart, go to Smitty's, Blacks, Kreuz's.

Luling is a short drive east from San Antonio (not even an hour), interstate highway all the way, and Lockhart is just up the road from there. She can snack her way through the heart of Texas BBQ country, and pack up some to take back with her for you to sample.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I know its kind of a cliche, but when I used to go to SA for work, I always liked going to the Mexican places on Market Square. Good food and fun environment.

Other than that, the best place I ate was at Boudro's on the River Walk. Contemporary bistro kind of food with Texas influences.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

You don't say what she likes to eat, or what type of atmosphere. So, in addition to the BBQ joints mentioned and staying away from chains,

Downtown, within walking distance or cheap cab ride (definitely go to Produce Row, at least once):

Mexican - Las Canarias, (210) 518-1000, 112 College St. in the La Mansion Hotel.

Tex-Mex - Mi Tierra, (210) 225-1262, 218 Produce Row. El Mirador, (210) 225-9444, 722 South St. Mary's St. La Margarita, (210) 227-7140, 120 Produce Row.

Continental - Polo's at the Fairmount Hotel, (210) 224-8800, 401 South Alamo St.

Eclectic - Biga on the Banks, (210) 225-0722, 203 South St. Mary's St., Suite 100.

Southwestern - Zuni Grill, (210) 227-0864, 511 Riverwalk St.

French - Le Reve (best restaurant in town, must call for reservations), (210) 212-2221, 152 East Pecan St.

Steak - Little Rhein Steak House, (210) 225-2111, 231 South Alamo St.

Home style (fantastic German deli-style) - Schilo's, (210) 223-6692, 424 East Commerce St.

Very San Antone - Boudros Bistro, (210) 224-8484, 421 East Commerce St. Liberty Bar, (210) 227-1187, 328 East Josephine St.

And, of course, for the 750 foot view - Tower of the Americas, (210) 223-3101, 222 HemisFair Plaza.

Rent a car and go the the Grey Moss Inn. It is a drive and looks completely whacked in the middle of nowhere. It does absolutely fantastic food like a smoked prime rib. Very good wine list and great people. Well-worth the excusion.

I will second Biga on the Banks for more modern cuisine and La Reve for classical French.

A.

And for BBQ, head elsewhere like Lockhart.

As far as BBQ goes, she needs to rent a car (if she doesn't have access to one already) and drive over to Luling and Lockhart on a "BBQ Day."

At Luling, go to City Market.  At Lockhart, go to Smitty's, Blacks, Kreuz's. 

Luling is a short drive east from San Antonio (not even an hour), interstate highway all the way, and Lockhart is just up the road from there.  She can snack her way through the heart of Texas BBQ country, and pack up some to take back with her for you to sample.

Jaymes and I tend to second one another on this emotion, but Lockhart is worth the drive. Kreuz is raht on the highway, S183 past the RR tracks, and packs 'em in on weekends. Smitty's is just off town square in the shadow of the newly renovated courthouse and down a block from the newly renovated library. Smitty's has better pork chops and prime rib, while Kreuz' sausage seems to be more flavorful this year. Smitty's will also have pork ribs on weekends that are mighty fine. Chisolm Trail is further S. on 183, like the last BBQ joint before city limits, and has the convenience of a drive-thru if she's in a hurry. Chisolm is one of only two joints in town that serves good chicken and ribs every day, and has a larger, if dubious array of sides. Black's is the other chicken, ribs and sides place, but somehow it's never seemed as outstanding as the bickering big two houses of smoke in Caldwell county, even if it does have a picture of one of our Mebane forbears on the wall--throw a cottonseed at him for luck......

grey moss is excellent and the drive is quite nice (although i'm sure s.a. has expanded out there too) biga was a favorite of mine. can't go to s.a. without a visit to mi tierra. i use to hang out at the liberty bar on st mary's- funky homestyle menu and a really cool structure- the whole house tipped to one side. try any beers from celas (sp) brewery.

"Ham isn't heroin..." Morgan Spurlock from "Supersize Me"

Thank you for all of these recommendations!

She's staying at the Westin La Cantera on a business trip. She's read your suggestions and will post a response when her registration is confirmed (new member). Thank you, on her behalf, as well.

I'm tempted to hop on a plane and head over to Lockhart, myself!

• 1 month later...
Mexican - Las Canarias, (210) 518-1000, 112 College St. in the La Mansion Hotel.

Las Canarias isn't Mexican - it's definitely french influenced American cuisine. More French meets huitlacoche and ancho chilis kind of food.

The pastry chef (Mark Chapman) is awesome.

(disclaimer - I work at La Mansion del Rio - the hotel where Las Canarias is)

Welcome to the Texas Forum, bobdavis. Hope to see more posts from you about the San Antonio food scene. Restaurants and chefs of course, but if you know about ethnic markets, farmer's markets, or special SA homecooked food, we would like to hear more about those things, too.

Welcome to the Texas Forum, bobdavis. Hope to see more posts from you about the San Antonio food scene. Restaurants and chefs of course, but if you know about ethnic markets, farmer's markets, or special SA homecooked food, we would like to hear more about those things, too.

Thanks for the welcome.

One thing to look forward to at the end of December is the opening of Pesca on the River - a new restaurant in the new Watermark Hotel & Spa. The Chef is Johnathan Parker, formerly of the Manhattan Ocean Club, and the menu features wild fish.

It'll be a cool place.

There's not really a fish place in SA, so this'll be pretty interesting.

I'm learning about San Antonio ethnic food - being a recent transplant from New Hampshire. My wife is a native Texan though, so I'm picking it up fast!

A big Texas welcome bobdavis.

Why is it that Mark Chapman's name is familiar to me? I am not exactly on the leading edge of knowing about the latest chef venues but that name does ring a bell. Any background?

Is La Mansion del Rio the old convent? If so, I have stayed there. Lovely place with more history than most Texas places. Aren't they supposed to have a ghost or two?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Thanks again.

Mark Chapman worked for years in NYC at various top flight places, and is a fairly high profile chef in San Antonio.

Of course, there's another Mark Chapman...who's more notorious than famous....(think about the Beatles).

La Mansion is a former Marianist boys school, then a law school, so I think we're talking about the same place. It's a very nice hotel.

And, of course, for the 750 foot view - Tower of the Americas, (210) 223-3101, 222 HemisFair Plaza
I don't know if I can recommend this. The view is great, but as covered on another thread, great food and revolving restaurants rarely coexist. The meal was expensive and not really worth it. The deserts, on the other hand, were awesome.

My wife and I went to SA for our honeymoon. The Hilton on the Riverwalk has a small cafe type of setup on the banks of the river. The best tortilla soup I have ever had. Period.

I do have to admit eating at the Hard Rock, but I was a Zippo collector at the time. Otherwise, it's not worth it.

We weren't there for very long, but that's all the food I can remember. Except for the pizza we ordered when we finally got into our hotel room at 11:30 on a Sunday night. It was about the only option.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

My wife is in San Antonio for a week. Any restaurant recommendations? Texas BBQ?

Well? :unsure:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Isn't one of the old Pig Stands still in operation in SA?

Absolutely. It's on Broadway. I believe there are two, but that's the one I drive past every day. They still have those little juke boxes on the tables too. Fridays they have hot-rod night in the parking lot.

Great place. Total greasy spoon.

Another great place for burgers and cars is called Buck's Landing. It's out on the 1604 access road near Thousand Oaks. Very good burgers and tacos, lots of outdoor seating, a sandbox for the kids and an old Lockheed on a pedestal out front.

And, of course, for the 750 foot view - Tower of the Americas, (210) 223-3101, 222 HemisFair Plaza
I don't know if I can recommend this. The view is great, but as covered on another thread, great food and revolving restaurants rarely coexist. The meal was expensive and not really worth it. The deserts, on the other hand, were awesome.

I don't know when you went, but there has been a change at the Tower. Mark Bliss, formerly of the Silo, is the chef there now. Time will tell if he can turn the place around (he's only been there for a few months, I think), but Silo has very good food. He might be able to fix it.

No locals eat there. It's expensive and the food has historically been disappointing. There are other options that are more accessible and more enjoyable for the money (see Biga, Fig Tree, Las Canarias, etc.).

My wife is in San Antonio for a week.  Any restaurant recommendations?  Texas BBQ?

I mostly get BBQ from Rudy's, which is out I-10 at Leon Springs (on the way out to Fredericksburg/Hill Country).

They have very good BBQ, in the opinion of this gringo yankee.

My wife says they have the best bbq turkey she's ever had - and she's a native Texan.

My wife is in San Antonio for a week.  Any restaurant recommendations?  Texas BBQ?

I mostly get BBQ from Rudy's, which is out I-10 at Leon Springs (on the way out to Fredericksburg/Hill Country).

They have very good BBQ, in the opinion of this gringo yankee.

My wife says they have the best bbq turkey she's ever had - and she's a native Texan.

Actually, I was wondering if "Diner" was ever going to get back to us. His initial post was October 25th. Can't help being a little curious as to what his wife did -- like did she take any of our recommendations, and what did she think?

• 4 weeks later...

Okay,

I may be somewhat late but this will help next time you or your wife go.

First stay offf the beaten path, no one in SA eat downtown. All that is for the tourist. Try Tom's Ribs, on 410 and Vance jackson, or 281 and 1604 or Nacogdoches Rd. Or the awesome County Line on IH10 in the collonade. I lived there for twentyeight years I know what I am talking about. Laters

Chef Rob

Welcome! I haven't seen your posts before but that may have been lack of attention due to the holidays. Great to see another member in San Antonio. I hope you enjoy our little community and continue to post.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Hi there,

I am sorry to say that my wife never made it anywhere in San Antonio. She was there on business, and though she was dying to get out of the hotel, she was forced to work night and day and attend business dinners.

Hopefully, all of these great restaurant recommendations are being put to use by other eGullet members.

Thanks again to all who posted.