• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TDG: Wine Camp: A Wine List in an Italian Village

Fat Guy

An Italian Village in Chicago, that is . . .

+++

Be sure to check The Daily Gullet home page daily for new articles (most every weekday), hot topics, site announcements, and more.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

It sounds very professional.

Very well written / put together.

Thanks again Craig.

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.

OH MY GOD! I was just at the Italian Village last week. I was there on business from California and my business partner wanted to go somewhere "in" for dinner. He thought Italian Village was kind of a touristy thing to do.

We went and had a simple fresh salad, a even simplier bowl of pasta and 1995 Castello di Fronterutoli 600 anniversary bottle of chianti that was killer. That was fine dining to me.

Thanks for writing about this fun wine friendly restaurant, Craig.

Laura

Craig,

Once again a very well written, informative, and entertaining piece.

I have never been to Chicago but if that wine list isn't reason enough I don't know what is. As I went through the "Reserve List" on the website, the prices seemes inordinately reasonable.

My mouth is literally watering now!

:laugh:

Msk

All weekend I was thinking I need some Italian; Italian in Chicago sounds really good.

I felt a bit of smug satisfaction reading that sommelier Balter dissuades people from ordering the Santa Margherita. I steer my customers away from it for the same reason- there are simply better pinot grigio values out there. For five bucks less (retail) than S. Margherita, I recommend the fresh apple and spice in Abazzia di Novacella's pinot grigio; for five bucks more, there's the range of Schiopetto's gorgeous, elegant whites. Compared to either of these wines, S. Margherita is waaay overpriced.