• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

info on Cachaca

khoiberg

It depends on what label that Santo Grau you have, there are two. They don't make the cachaça, they just buy what they think it's the best batch from selected producers to bottle and sell it. The label "Coronel Xavier Chaves" is made in Minas Gerais by the Engenho Boa Vista, the oldest producer of cachaça in the state. The master distiller is Rubens Resende Chaves and their own label is "Século XVIII" (because they make cachaça since the 1700's). This cachaça isn't influenced by wood, since it rests for 6 months in underground stone tanks, giving it a neutrality ideal for cocktail making.

Here is a

that shows a little bit of the farm were the sugar cane is harvested and the cachaça is made in the beginning and an interview with Rubens. In this other
the interview continues but there's a lot of footage of the production taking place and more footage od the farm at the end.

The label "Paraty" is made here in Rio, in the state city of Paraty in the Engenho D’Água of the Fazenda Cabral. Their own label is Coqueiro, made by the master distiller Eduardo Mello. The cachaça is rested in oak and amendoim (Pterogyne nitens) between 12 and 24 months. I had the pleasure to visit this still and meet Eduardo, a humble young lad in his early 30's, but with a vast knowledge about the making of cachaça. The fourth generations of the family making cachaça he is responsible for introducing technology to the process to optimize the production without compromising the artisan touch of small batch distilling.

Hope I helped a bit, my english is a little rusty :sad:

Paulo Freitas

Bartender @ Bar do Copa (Copacabana Palace, Rio de Janeiro - Brazil)

http://www.bardocopa.com.br

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, Paulo! The bottle I have is the "Coronel Xavier Chaves". You said it's ideal for cocktail-making. Any suggestions?

BTW, you're English is excellent.

Edited by brinza (log)

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

Here in the hotel we have a Daikiri/Sidecar variation called Raul Roulian

2oz Cachaça
1/2oz Cointreau
3/4oz Lemon Juice
2 barspoons Raw Sugar

Shaken and Strained in a cocktail glass

You could start with experimenting with some aged rum cocktails and adjusting the ratios of the sour/sweet ingredients slightly, as cachaça is sweeter than rum

Paulo Freitas

Bartender @ Bar do Copa (Copacabana Palace, Rio de Janeiro - Brazil)

http://www.bardocopa.com.br

There are a few cachaça cocktails on the menu at a Hawaiian themed bar in Soho (NYC) called Lani Kai, which we visited last night. I liked this one --

THE TIDES: Cachaça, falernum, cane syrup, lime, grapefruit juice and Peychaud's Bitters.

Served in a tall glass with ice cubes. I didn't get the proportions, but it was fairly potent.

Edited by David A. Goldfarb (log)