• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

the perfect kir

prasantrin

I'm trying to make the perfect Kir (okay, it doesn't have to be perfect, but close would be nice :smile: ). I have the Creme de Cassis (Lejay-Lagoute) and now I need to get some white wine. But what kind should I get? I know little about wines--the only thing I know is that dry white wines are preferred for Kir. I used to just buy whatever white wine had the nicest bottle (I probably shouldn't admit that, but oh well!). Any suggestions out there?

At the restaurant we've always made it with house chardonnay. If you want to use a drier white wine try a sauvignon blanc.

I wouldn't suggest using a "high quality" type. The creme de cassis is so sweet, it masks any finesse the white wine might have.

Or try a Kir Roayale with champagne. That's more fun, more sparkle.

Hi all,

Here in France we made Kir with aligoté white wine.

For the créme we use diferents flavoreds such cassis, pêche, mûre or framboise.

I suggest you to use the double créme if available in your area.

Also, We call kir bourguignon a kir made with red wine such red Merlot.

Cheers

Thanks, all, for the replies. I'll see what my local wine store has to offer of the recommended wines. Glad to know less expensive wines are satisfactory, since those best suit my pocketbook right now :biggrin: .

I had never thought of using creme de mure or any of the other fruity cremes. With peche, it would be a perfect summer drink! Too bad we're experiencing our first snowfall today :sad: . For some reason, I've never cared for Kir Royale--I think it's because I don't care for carbonation--even in Champagne (the exception being root beer, heathen that I am). But the red wine version sounds interesting. Who'd have thunk it?

The best brand créme for kir is Cartron.

http://www.cartron.fr/

Sigh :sad: ! I live in Winnipeg, so there's no chance of finding that here! I was lucky enough to find Lejay-Legoute--a few years ago I couldn't even find creme de cassis at all!

Now I'm thinking it I might try pear liqueur, too. I love ice pear wine, so I imagine pear liqueur and white wine would be smashing!