• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rum Reviews

Ed Hamilton

After lengthy discussions with several rum drinkers about the fine spirits distilled and bottled by Barbancourt, I will go out on a limb and share an observation on which there is a lot of agreement among those that I have had the pleasure of discussing this issue. Undoubtedly, you've seen reviews by spirits writers about Barbancourt Reserve du Domaine, more widely known as 15 year old, but by unaminous agreement any review of Barbancourt that focuses solely on the 15 year old rum and doesn't even mention Special Reserve, aka five star, has not even tasted this spirit that is generally considered to be superior. And I'm willing to go a step further and say that they probably haven't tasted the 15 year old either.

I don't want to discredit anyone, but since the members of this forum have consistently demonstated their determination to the best reviews of our favorite spirit, I hope members, and lurkers, will understand that not all reviews are as credible as we would like them to be.

I enjoy both of these rums, but if you're going to give me a bottle of Barbancourt make mine 5 star.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

I have tasted the 8 year old and 15 year old Barbencourt on many occasions and prefer the 15 year old. However, I am much more of a wine drinker than a rum drinker, and find that the 15 year old is smoother and has an aged in wood feel to it that I like. I can understand that a true rum drinker may find that the 8 year old is more "rummy" and has more oomph.

My vote's certainly for the 8 y.o. Not to say that the 15 isn't good; it's very good and exceptionally smooth. Even after 15 years in the cask it's hard for me to pick up any woody taste at all. On the other hand, the 8 year old just has much more character and seems to be a more rounded rum. I'd glady drink either, but if given a choice I'd take the 8.

Cheers,

Jay

Where there's a still, there's a way.