• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Restaurant for a Large Group on a Sat night?

Swankalicious

Also, not to be prickly, but resis for 30 people around Christmas time should be made with a little more advance planning. Especially at prime time on Saturday when there are only two of those left.

I'll be curious to find out who ends up taking them, what their reservation policy is and how the service ends up being. Popular places have to be booked already...

Edited by meaghanfitzgerald (log)

Also, not to be prickly, but resis for 30 people around Christmas time should be made with a little more advance planning. Especially at prime time on Saturday when there are only two of those left.

Swankalicious started this thread October 24. Is two months not enough time?

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Also, not to be prickly, but resis for 30 people around Christmas time should be made with a little more advance planning.  Especially at prime time on Saturday when there are only two of those left.

Swankalicious started this thread October 24. Is two months not enough time?

sorry. didn't pay attention.

It almost felt like eGullet there for a few minutes - angry, edgy, a little humor.

I almost fell off the chair laughing when Tom told the first angry vegetarian to "order three desserts".

I wonder if they offer mincemeat pie...

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Mystery solved--it was I, swankalicious, who received the less-than-stellar service at Zaytinya the other week.

In fairness, the food was terrific, as usual, and our waiter was incredibly sweet.

But people were put off by both the clueless reservationist and the host, who essentially took me aside to berate me ... for more than $500 and with two months of advance notice for a res, I expected more. Anyway, Tom's chat suggested I contact Jose, which I haven't had time to do b/c of the holidays. I will this week.

Tom's chat suggested I contact Jose, which I haven't had time to do b/c of the holidays. I will this week.

It was the executive chef Jose Andres who made the offer. You should definitely have a chat with him. His level of commitment to quality food and customer service is exceptional, as evidenced by his immediate response on Tom's chat, quoted below.

Washington DC: Hi!; Jose Andres...I'm so sorry to read about your experience at Zaytinya the other day.....Please if you don't mind to call Zaytinya,202 638 0800 and leave me a message with your phone number. I would love to chat with you about what happen.Believe me when I tell you that our approach is to serve and make sure you the Customer leaves the restaurant with a great impression. Sorry if that day we did not meet expectations...

Jose R. Andres

Tom Sietsema: Now THAT is customer service!

Thank you, Jose.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code