• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Restaurant for a Large Group on a Sat night?

Swankalicious

Please help me! I am planning a party for about 30 people in December, and am looking for a restaurant that can comfortably accommodate that many. I also don't want to go anywhere incredibly expensive. I tried Zaytinya, but they do not have a private-ish dining area. Any suggestions? Please? Thank you!

Ortanique may be more expensive than what you want to spend, but they can accommodate 30 (or however many you have) in a semiprivate space. The food is fun and Emilio's mojitos are rightly legendary.

I second Mark's recommendation of the Zaytinya communal table. I ate there with a group of 20 or so once and had a great time. They just kept bringing us little plates of stuff and they were patient with our constantly getting up and moving around to talk to different people.

Yeah, but that long table is not "private-ish" dining--at least not in the sense of a private room like Firefly's back room--how many does that seat John?--which is much more separated from the rest of the dining room. And Zaytinya is more packed than ever, always a scene and can get loud. 30 people, though, does put you into that upstairs Z. space, swank, looking down on the main floor, if that were to be available that would seem much more private--and 30 people fit very nicely in the whole upper level of Cafe Atlantico, which can be a fun party space though more expensive. Guess it depends on your price point. December will likely be a tough time to find space around town. What about taking the whole upstairs of Sushi-Ko in Georgetown? Or that back area of Marcel's, their dining room kind of wraps around back and could hold 30? Both have very strong food. Restaurant Seven in Tysons has a really nice totally private space, free valet parking, though I can't vouch for the current state of the food since I haven't been there in a while. Good luck!

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

Butterfield 9 has an upstairs area, with a balcony section and another room that is enclosed, I don't know how many it can hold, but might be worth looking into... oh, and

Olives as a cool private area downstairs behind the curtain. That might be a nice place for a large group of 30.

Went to a group dinner at Signatures and they have a couple of back rooms that I think they could combine to accomodate 30 people. They did a nice job with our group as well.

Mendocino Grille and Wine Bar

Sonoma Restaurant and Wine Bar

Yeah, but that long table is not "private-ish" dining--at least not in the sense of a private room like Firefly's back room--how many does that seat John?--which is much more separated from the rest of the dining room.  And Zaytinya is more packed than ever, always a scene and can get loud.  30 people, though, does put you into that upstairs Z. space, swank, looking down on the main floor, if that were to be available that would seem much more private--and 30 people fit very nicely in the whole upper level of Cafe Atlantico, which can be a fun party space though more expensive.  Guess it depends on your price point.  December will likely be a tough time to find space around town.  What about taking the whole upstairs of Sushi-Ko in Georgetown? Or that back area of Marcel's, their dining room kind of wraps around back and could hold 30? Both have very strong food. Restaurant Seven in Tysons has a really nice totally private space, free valet parking, though I can't vouch for the current state of the food since I haven't been there in a while. Good luck!

The curtained part of Marcel's could easily hold 30, but, it is very expensive.

Mark

Thank you for your suggestions. How about anything metro-accessible in Arlington or Alexandria? Zaytinya was reluctant to take a Sat. night reservation for that many people, in essence I didn't get a very confident vibe from them, and this is a special occasion, so I don't want anything to go wrong ... I am thinking a price range on par with places like Jaleo, Zaytinya, etc. Nothing quite as high-end as Marcel's.

Yeah, but that long table is not "private-ish" dining--at least not in the sense of a private room like Firefly's back room--how many does that seat John?

It seats up to 16, we generally will accept large parties either early or late. For discussion's sake, we have to break up something that large into two tables, as it really buries us.

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

A few years back I was with a group of about thirty that had a dinner at Nola, in their "wine cellar." I have no idea about cost, but the service was quite good, and they had the sense to limit the menu to a couple of choices per course, which helped the kitchen a great deal.

This trick of limiting the menu is one worth considering at almost any venue when dealing with a large party. The clerical manager where my partner used to work regularly would be the planner for their gatherings, and would pre-select two or three items per course from the menu with the restaurant's help. She then had everyone attending make their selections a day or two in advance, which she then had written down on cards. All the servers had to do, when taking the orders, was collect the cards. Not only was the taking of orders already done for them, since the cards were collected in order they knew which person around the table had ordered which dishes, which made serving a breeze. (This was for an office of engineers, which is probably why they were so logical. :cool: )

We'll not discriminate great from small.

No, we'll serve anyone - meaning anyone -

And to anyone at all!

A few years back I was with a group of about thirty that had a dinner at Nola, in their "wine cellar."  I have no idea about cost, but the service was quite good, and they had the sense to limit the menu to a couple of choices per course, which helped the kitchen a great deal.

This trick of limiting the menu is one worth considering at almost any venue when dealing with a large party.  The clerical manager where my partner used to work regularly would be the planner for their gatherings, and would pre-select two or three items per course from the menu with the restaurant's help.  She then had everyone attending make their selections a day or two in advance, which she then had written down on cards.  All the servers had to do, when taking the orders, was collect the cards.  Not only was the taking of orders already done for them, since the cards were collected in order they knew which person around the table had ordered which dishes, which made serving a breeze.  (This was for an office of engineers, which is probably why they were so logical.  :cool: )

From the waiter's point of view, it is much more entertaining when you make the guests wear either fish hats or little cow horns on their heads. :biggrin:

Mark

Fish heads or cow horns? To be worn by a group of engineers? Nah, can't picture it.

Do-it-yourself hats made from Erector Set pieces is an idea, however. :rolleyes:

More seriously, though, Mark, what I've found is that the larger the group, the lower the general food education level. At that dinner at Nola, I'd estimate that one third would have been comfortable with the regular Nola menu, one third would have muddled through somehow, and the final third would have found the menu at TGI Friday's too complex. This wasn't an uneducated group, but their food education was lacking.

The previous night, a quintet of us had gathered at Red Sage for dinner, the five being two from Long Beach CA (myself and partner) and three from New Orleans. I would have assumed the New Orleans background of the three would have meant they all would know something about food, but for one of the trio the menu was a complete mystery and cause for much grief. If we had known in advance, the rest of us could have helped guide him, which in turn would have made for a better evening for everyone.

There are people who need their hands held during the ordering process. By cutting down the number of selections available to them, the odds are reduced that they will order something that will disappoint them. It's a bit like handing them a children's menu, but in this case that's exactly what they are. I'd much rather reduce my own choices in such a situation than risk a childish snit-fit from the company I'm with, and save my finer dining experiences for those times I'm with people who can understand those experiences with me.

We'll not discriminate great from small.

No, we'll serve anyone - meaning anyone -

And to anyone at all!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

I am having a large, important business party at Zaytinya in a few weeks. For some reason, I feel somewhat intimidated, because when I made my reservation for 6:30pm on a Saturday night--speaking with the manager directly--they seemed less than thrilled with the prospect of such a large party hogging such a large portion of space during a prime time.

The party is a surprise and I want everything to go smoothly. In fact, I would like to prepay (so there is no awkwardness with the check), and I would like to let the management know this is a special occasion. What is the etiquette for this? Do I call the manager back and say, you know, this dinner is really special and important to me, I've chosen your restaurant, please make it happen? I'm nervous, I've never hosted a "dinner" party like this before, and could use some tips! Do you think Zaytinya would be more accommodating if I explained the situation?

when I made my reservation for 6:30pm on a Saturday night--speaking with the manager directly--they seemed less than thrilled with the prospect of such a large party hogging such a large portion of space during a prime time.

The party is a surprise and I want everything to go smoothly. In fact, I would like to prepay (so there is no awkwardness with the check), and I would like to let the management know this is a special occasion. What is the etiquette for this? Do I call the manager back and say, you know, this dinner is really special and important to me, I've chosen your restaurant, please make it happen? I'm nervous, I've never hosted a "dinner" party like this before, and could use some tips! Do you think Zaytinya would be more accommodating if I explained the situation?

most successful restaurants do not want a large party on prime time on Saturday night because they bring in more money with the multiple small tables during the same time frame. i'm slightly suprised they're being as hospitable about it and accepting the large party anyway.

if you really want them to be okay with it, prepaying is good.

it would be nice if the per person price was above the average for the restaurant. and maybe there are a decent number of drinks and bottles of wine ordered.

that'll help smooth things over.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

"Smooth things over"? I don't think I understand your point. I would think that a restaurant, being part of the hospitality industry, would be grateful and appreciative of all customers and happy that someone chose their restaurant for a special occasion. Who knows, maybe some of my guests would return in smaller parties. What's to be gained from being annoyed with a large group? It's not like Zaytinya is hurting for business ...

"Smooth things over"? I don't think I understand your point. I would think that a restaurant, being part of the hospitality industry, would be grateful and appreciative of all customers and happy that someone chose their restaurant for a special occasion. Who knows, maybe some of my guests would return in smaller parties. What's to be gained from being annoyed with a large group? It's not like Zaytinya is hurting for business ...

my point is that the restaurant is being grateful and appreciative.

their decision not to tell you they are fully booked, committed, etc.

is proof of that.

restaurants are businesses. while they appreciate that you would choose their place for a special occasion, they have to watch the bottom line.

if they don't make money, they will not be in business.

more importantly, things always just spring up out of the blue that need a few hundred thousand dollars thrown at them (HVAC repairs, water damage, re-carpeting, re-upholstering) on top of the many normal operating costs.

they are out to make as much money as reasonably possible, as are the service staff.

in part, it's building reserve, because unprofitable times can be just as easily on the horizon.

i think they were being quite courteous in not expressing their disappointment. were they making it particularly obvious as to their displeasure, or was it more like uneasiness?

can't say whether or not they're hurting for business. i'm guessing they usually fully booked friday and saturday. at least reasonably good business on thursday and sunday. anyone know about monday thru wednesday?

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

while not the mob scene of the weekend Zaytinya does brisk business on Monday-Wednesday. The bar area was packed until 11pm last Wednesday.

I would imagine large parties on Saturday nights would make any restaurant nervous...from my own restaurant experience large parties have a way of gumming up the works, however, with the high volume of business Zaytinya handles, I would imagine they should be able to handle it (with a smile on their face!)

• 1 month later...