• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pierre Herme Assisting Wegmans

Upon reading Steve Klc's post, I decided to check these pastries out for myself.  Stopped by the Wegman's in Princeton after work.  Received the same friendly treatment, offered chocolate samples and given proper instruction of how to let it sit on your tongue and melt.  Picked out some pastries, they boxed them up and offered to keep them cold until I was finished shopping so they wouldnt get warm.

On another note the counterperson mentioned that Pierre Herme in the flesh is going to be giving live demonstrations at the Princeton Wegman's.  I think she said the first week of May but if interested I would call for details.

Just wanted to thank Steve Klc for peeking my interest.  Ciao.

"Who made you the reigning deity on what is an interesting thread and what is not? " - TheBoatMan

Picked out some pastries, they boxed them up and offered to keep them cold until I was finished shopping so they wouldnt get warm.

TheBoatMan -- Have you eaten the pastries yet? If so, please consider posting about your perceptions, including in the event, of course, that you don't like them as much as Steve Klc and I do  :wink:

Boatman--thank you for the followup--in this era of declining customer service the example of your experience shines brightly.  What wonderful training and commitment--Wegmans is doing it right and I am glad that you have validated that my wife and I weren't treated differently--that we received what is usual, customary and reasonable.

This would apply, of course, even if you did not enjoy the pastries as much as I do.

More people need to climb aboard the Wegmans bandwagon, for this and for many other reasons.

I will remember your post when in weaker moments I feel it is a hopeless cause arguing for higher expectation and awareness in pastry and desserts.  My neighbors have been complaining about the noise from me banging my head on the wall.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

Steve Klc -- I can see how perhaps on average patisserie is not sufficiently appreciated. However, do you find that, among your clientele (who presumably seek you out) you have comparable problems?  :wink:

Leaving my personal work aside for the moment, we'll have to explore this elsewhere cabrales, it's such a large issue, with many societal and cultural implications that I don't want it to get buried in New Jersey.  (No offense, I grew up in NJ.)  

Actually, average pastries--the stuff "on average" that I call typical American bakery crap--they aren't perceived as too expensive--they have vague innocuous taste and interest--and they are probably precisely "sufficiently appreciated." They are, however, in the grand scheme of things, merely minimally acceptable at best--if not outright dreck--and completely, utterly lacking to anyone who has had occasion to bite into an Herme ganache tartlet or just about every other dessert he created for the Wegmans boutique.

It is immediately apparent.

Gaining greater appreciation, though, requires spending a little money--it's more expensive to produce something good on one side and correspondingly more expensive to be aware and to enjoy what is possible with dessert as a consumer.  But not that much more expensive--.50 cents for a nicolette, $4.50 for the individual chocolate/banana tartlet made with Valrhona chocolate.  Can you imagine someone hesitating paying this for a crappy Starbucks latte?  I can't--yet the same person would likely balk at paying such for an Herme dessert.

To bring this back to Wegmans and NJ--as I've mentioned, they offer many less expensive non-Herme pastry and baking alternatives.  But many, many people shop solely by price.

I have faith that most customers--from soccer moms who also shop at the Price Club to senior citizens on restricted incomes who have never ventured outside NJ let alone France--when they taste and explore the Herme repertoire at Wegmans--the chocolates, the macaroons, the desserts--that they'll get it.  They will "get" that they are tasting something exponentially better and more interesting than what they've had before--and they don't need to know anything about pastry chefs, chocolate, desserts or cooking in order to do so.  And once they do--their outlook and their priorities might be affected and changed forever.  (This is naive, I know.)

Of course I see this reaction in my clientele but the real issue is getting millions of people around the country just to be in a position to avail themselves of this opportunity, like the one the Princeton Wegmans provides.  You New Jersey eGulleteers near Princeton need to know how lucky you are and that I envy you, TheBoatMan, and everyone else a stone's throw from the store.

Steve Klc

chef@pastryarts.com

You New Jersey eGulleteers near Princeton need to know how lucky you are and that I envy you, Boatman, and everyone else a stone's throw from the store.

Steve Klc -- What's the most efficient set of public transportation options to get to the Wegman's, Princeton store, and is it the store with Herme pastries that is closest to Manhattan?

Hmm...good question cabrales, as if you would be capable of any other.  From NY and the north, I drive right down Route 1 and it is on the right at Nassau Park Blvd.  Coming from the Philly/Trenton end of things--probably driving 295 to Route 1, approaching from the south it is on the left after Quakerbridge Mall.

Someone with more intimate local knowledge will have to tell if it is feasible getting to the store from the Princeton Junction train station via taxi, bus or shuttle (that's an Amtrak stop so you could Metroliner it possibly.)

Perhaps someone should suggest an eGullet bus trip from NYC.

As the crow flies, I also can't tell you which is closest--Princeton, Bridgewater or Manalapan--I can only vouch for the excellence of the Princeton store.  Apart from Herme, it is also superb on every level and the finest supermarket I've ever seen in the states.

Steve Klc

chef@pastryarts.com

Perhaps someone should suggest an eGullet bus trip from NYC.

Steve Klc -- Or, due to the wonderful "portable" nature of Herme's patisseries, for a future eGullet get-together of NY members, any NJ members attending and living close to a relevant Wegmans could pick up patisseries for the group.  :wink:  Depending on the restaurant chosen by the NY group, it may be possible to sample the patisseries at the restaurant or not.

Cabrales,

You can take a train from Penn Station to Red Bank, and i'll drive you from there to Manalapan or Princeton.

Helena -- That's very kind of you, but it sounds like a short drive that a taxi could provide. Perhaps we can sample the Herme patisseries together at an eGullet event!   :biggrin:

I agree as I cannot remember the last time I went to a local bakery.  I am not a snob by any means, it's just that my wife and I have made a choice to save and splurge for the good stuff.  We would rather save for the better product and indulge less often than compromise for the cheaper product which we could have more often.  This is just a personal preference and we do not feel we are missing anything by doing so.  To each their own.  I have driven into the city to experience Francois Payard's pastries as well.  Now that I know about Wegman's and Herme that trek will be made less often into the city.  It must be said though my wife is the true pastry connoisseur, as I am a steak lover at heart.  It is for her that I am on the never-ending quest for the perfect pastry.

On another note, I wish Wegman's would replace the King's in my area.  I used to shop at King's for meat, seafood and produce but in my humble opinion their quality is sinking on a daily basis.

"Who made you the reigning deity on what is an interesting thread and what is not? " - TheBoatMan

Based on the location description as given by Steve Klc, it appears the Wegman's is about ten minutes by cab from the Princeton Jct station of Amtrak / NJTransit.  There were cabs available at the station when I last detrained.

I'm not aware of public transport to the Bridgewater location, although the NJ Transit Raritan Valley Terminus (at Raritan) is about ten minutes away.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Thank you all for the heads up on this topic.  I went to the Wegman's in Bridgewater today, specifically to check out the Herme display.  I've been there many times before, but simply passed over the bakery counter, figuring it was better than average, but not as good as I would be looking for.  Phew, what a shock.  This, coming from a former pastry chef.  I found the people behind the counter to be very helpful, just as previous posters who have visited Princeton.  I bought a lb. of chocolates.  They are astounding, and what incredible value at $33 per lb.  Now I know I will be in Wegman's every week rather than every three or four.  I love their vegetables, cheeses, and D'Artagnan game, but before I could do without a weekly visit, since I live 20 miles away.  Now I know I have to sample the entire pastry case.  And I will be buying Monsieur Herme's book!  Thanks again.

Pierre Herme

FYI he was on foodtv's "From Martha's Kitchen" last evening.  Show description:

Meet Pierre Herme,France's famous Pastry Chef, and discover his expert techniques and recipes for baking extraordinary creations, including a Chocolate Carioca Cake. Plus learn to bake a classic Genoise and more good things

Was very interesting, hopefully it will be re-aired if you missed it.

TheBoatMan -- Prior to my edit of this post, it had described the possibility of sampling Conticini (Petrossian Paris)-supervised patisseries at Petrossian NYC. However, below is an update from Steve Klc:

Unfortunately, we don't have the chance to sample those creations in NYC any longer.  We've mentioned on the site elsewhere that Philippe has severed all ties to Petrossian-NYC months ago and that Chris Broberg, the former pastry chef of Lespinasse who took direction from Philippe there, was let go by Petrossian as well.

Hi, e-Gulleteers --

I have been reading these boards for a long time.  Finally decided to take the plunge and register.  This is my first post.  

I found this discussion about Herme and Wegmans interesting since I live in the immediate vicinity of the Manalapan store (in the next-door town of Marlboro) and go there often.  

For those of you who were wondering about getting from NYC to a Wegmans without a car, you can go to the Port Authority, get on a NJ Transit bus to Manalapan, and it will stop on Route 9 South, just a few steps from the store.  No need for a cab.  Non-rush hours, the trip will take about an hour, depending on how many stops the bus makes once it  leaves the Garden State Pkwy.  You can then shop your brains out (if you buy fresh fish or meat, they will even pack it in ice for you), check the bus schedule and pick up the bus going into NYC on the north side of 9.  (Just make sure you cross at the light!)

I have to admit that I have never tried any of the Herme treats because, for the most part, I don't use store-bought baked goods.  But the pastry display does look lucious and, someday, I will probably break down and try something.  

I have bought Wegmans' fresh-baked breads and, while they are good, I think that they are nowhere as good as Amy's Bread which I buy about once a month when I am in the vicinity of her 9th Ave. store.

One of the good things about the arrival of Wegmans in Manalapan was that the three other supermarkets in the immediate area -- Foodtown, ShopRite and Pathmark -- realized that they were going to be up against some stiff competition, so they all expanded and upgraded their offerings, thereby making what has been a good area for supermarket shopping even better.

But the arrival of Wegmans has in no way diminished the crowds at Delicious Orchards in Colts Neck, the specialty food market, which continues to attract hoards of shoppers -- including yours truly -- from all the surrounding towns.

Cheers!

Welcome aboard!

Delicious Orchards is a delight. Seasonal, freshly picked fruit, wonderful pies, people who really care about their food products and take great pride in their venture

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

rozrapp, welcome to egullet!

Finally i have somebody in my neighborhood.

I shop in Wegmans or Delicious Orchards every night, sometimes going to Dearborn Farm as well, mostly to restock on pasta and spanish chorizo. And i agree with you that supermarkets around are trying to improve. I think it's especially evident in Shoprite.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

A recent visit to Wegman's in Freehold uncovered the sad fact that Pierre Hermé chocolates have been discontinued and are no longer carried there. Is this true chain-wide, or on a store-by-store basis?

(I thought Wegman's shoppers had fine taste! :blink: )

According to the Wegmans web site,

You can purchase in person at selected Wegmans. Completely customize an assortment of Wegmans Chocolates by Pierre Hermé, by the box or container, at these Patisserie locations:

New York: Pittsford

New Jersey: Bridgewater, Manalapan, Princeton

Guess they weren't selling enough of them in the other locations! But knowing Wegmans and their stupendous customer service, if you can't get to a store that does sell his collection, I bet you can have it sent/delivered.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."