• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

chicken 65?

mongo_jones

whaddaya know, i'd even posted a couple of messages in that thread!

will try it some time soon--hopefully my local indian grocer carries sambhar powder (normally one wouldn't ask such questions, but they also carry only one brand of basmati rice).

This is the basic recipe as posted earlier:

500 gms boneless chicken cut into thick shreds(Approx 1 cm by 2 cm)

Marinate for 1 hour in 1 cup hung yoghurt(dahi), 2 tbsps sambar powder, 2 tbsps red chilli powder, 2 tbsps ginger garlic paste and salt to taste.

Drain and stir fry in 1/2 cup oil till just cooked, serve with a tadka( freshly sauted garnish) of curry leaves, mustard seeds and slit green chillies.

Adjust the chilli powder as per your level of tolerance.

My Malabar Chicken 65

500 gms boneless chicken cut into thick shreds(Approx 1 cm by 2 cm)

Marinate for 1 hour in 1 cup coconut milk, 2 tbsps sambar powder, 2 tbsps red chilli powder, 2 tbsps ginger garlic paste and salt to taste.

Stir fry without any oil till just cooked and all the coconut milk is absorbed into the chicken, serve with a tadka( freshly sauted garnish) of curry leaves, mustard seeds, crisp fried peanuts and slit green chillies.

Adjust the chilli powder as per your level of tolerance.

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

I am surprised to hear that Chickent 65 comes from Hyderabad. There are so my versions within my own family. The ingredients of this dish is mostly chinese. If Chicken 65 comes from Hyderabad, I wonder why this dish is also named the same. I learnt it from my mother-in-law.

2 lbs Chicken

4 T Worcheshire Sauce

2 T Green Chili Sauce

2 T Soy Sauce

1 T Vinegar or ½ Lemon juice

1 T Tomato Sauce (hot and sweet) – optional

1 t Ajinomoto

2 t Ginger-garlic paste

salt

1 t Red chili powder

Red color

Mix all & marinate for 3 hours.

Just before frying, mix small chicken batches with ½ t of cornflour (Total of ½ c cornflour for the entire recipe) and deep fry. Serve hot.

I am surprised to hear that Chickent 65 comes from Hyderabad.  There are so my versions within my own family.  The ingredients of this dish is mostly chinese.  If Chicken 65 comes from Hyderabad, I wonder why this dish is also named the same.  I learnt it from my mother-in-law.

2 lbs Chicken

4 T Worcheshire Sauce

2 T Green Chili Sauce

2 T Soy Sauce

1 T Vinegar or ½ Lemon juice

1 T Tomato Sauce (hot and sweet) – optional

1 t Ajinomoto

2 t Ginger-garlic paste

salt

1 t Red chili powder

Red color

Mix all & marinate for 3 hours.

Just before frying, mix small chicken batches with ½ t of cornflour (Total of ½ c cornflour for the entire recipe) and deep fry.  Serve hot.

Thanks Sujatha for sharing this family recipe. It sounds delicious. :smile:

Would it be too personal to ask where your family comes from?

What are some of the other versions within your family for Chicken 65?

Suvir,

Here is another Chicken 65 Recipe. I learnt it from a chef at one of the restaurants in Hyderabad (where I come from) long long ago. Please be warned that it is spicy. Reduce the chili powder & green chilies for a less spicy version.

1 kg chicken

1 1/2 t ginger garlic paste

1 t Ajinomoto

1 t peper

1 1/2 t Red Chili powder

1/2 t Garam Masala

1 t Garlic (finely chopped)

1 t Green Chili (finely chopped)

1 T Maida

1 t Corn flour

1/2 t Dhaniya

2 Eggs

Pinch Red color

1 T Coriander

Mix all & marinate for 2 hours. Deep fry & set aside.

3 T oil

2 t Garlic

20 chilies (cut into long slice)

25 Fresh Curry leaves

1 t Pepper

1/2 t Garam Masala

1 1/2 t Dhaniya powder

3 t full Red Chili powder

1 1/2 c Curd

Pinch Color

1 5 salt

1/2 t Aginomoto

1 Lemon juice

Coriander leaves

Heat oil. Add Garlic, chilies, curry leaves, curd, color, salt, ajinomoto, pepper,garam masala, dhaniya powder, red chili powder & lemon. Now add Chicken pieces & coriander leaves. Serve hot.

Edited by Sujatha (log)

:biggrin: Let me think.....

I remember another dish of my mom that she calls Chicken 65 :laugh:

Now, this one is so easy to make & everyone seem to love it. But again, I wonder why it is called Chicken 65 as it also have an sauce accompaning it!!

Around 6 chicken leg pieces

1 t ginger garlic paste

1 t garam masala

2 t red chili powder

salt

1 c tomato juice.

Pressure cook all until one whistle.

Separate the chicken pieces from the sauce & fry well in 5-6 T oil. Sprinkle with coriander leaves. Serve the sauce and chicken pieces separately. My mom serves it wth any flavored rice and with some onions and lemon wedges to the side. Very very easy to make & always a hit wth adults & kids. You can also add a tarka with lots of curry leaves to the sauce.

If anyone has tried making any of the 3 recipes above, please let me know how they turned out. Looking forward..

Edited by Sujatha (log)

My personal favorite from my first book. Originally a deep fried dish served in South India, I have modified it to be lower in fat. The taste is still wonderful and very flavorful

Chicken 65***

1 cup / 250 mL fat-free plain yogurt

1 cup / 250 mL water

1 pound / 500 g skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cubed

¼ teaspoon / 1 mL turmeric

2 drops red food coloring

2 tablespoons / 25 mL ginger garlic paste

1 teaspoon / 5 mL red chile powder

Salt to taste

2 tablespoons / 25 mL finely chopped fresh coriander

1 teaspoon / 5 mL chaat masala

1 teaspoon / 5 mL garam masala

½ teaspoon / 2 mL carom seeds (ajwain)

FOR THE TADKA:

1 tablespoon / 15 mL vegetable oil

1 tablespoon / 15 mL finely chopped fresh mint

¼ teaspoon / 1 mL mustard seeds

3 to 4 green chiles, slit lengthwise

Leaves from 2 sprigs curry

IN a large saucepan, whisk together the yogurt and water. Stir in the chicken. Bring to a

boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally.

Lower the heat. Stir in the turmeric, red food coloring, and ginger garlic paste; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in the chile powder and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid starts to dry out. Add the coriander, chaat masala, garam masala, and carom seeds; mix well. Sauté until the liquid completely dries out. Remove from the heat.

In a small nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the mint, mustard seeds, green chiles, and curry leaves. As soon as the mustard seeds start to crackle, add to the chicken. Mix well.

Serve hot.

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice