• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

anniversary resto rec in Philly

slobhan

helllloooooooo, eGulleters -

Just signed up here after a few days of reading posts and I'm hoping you can help the new girl out.

The LONG version (skip directly to "The Question" if so inclined):

I live in Alexandria, VA. My husband and I are approaching our first wedding anniversary and had begun planning for a romantic dinner in the DC area. BUT, turns out we won't be in the DC area for our anniversary. Why? B/c my brother is turning 40 in early November and we're having a party for him in Philly. The weekend of the party is ... you guessed it, the same weekend as our anniversary. We think it will be kind of cool to return to Philly for our anniversary since that's where we got married. I grew up in Philly, but I'm not familiar with the current restaurant scene.

The Question

Where can we go in Philly for a romantic anniversary dinner when our budget (including wine) is about $200? We like pretty much any kind of food.

Thanks in advance for any help!

slobhan

my motto: taste, savor, share

circulation manager, imbibe magazine

celebrate the world in a glass

Greetings Slobhan

... and welcome to eGullet. Nice you chose the Pennsylvania forum for your first post.

Romantic isn't my forte, but top of mind for me is Deux Cheminees - but that might be pushing your budget.

CitySearch does both Reader's Picks and Editor Picks for most romantic in Philadelphia. City Search - Most Romantic In Philadelphia. Astral Plane was my second choice, "romance" up the wazoo - so there's some agreement here. Fri Sat Sun is a good restaurant, but a tad crowded for romantic.

I am sure some more romantically inclined Philadelphians will have some good suggestions too.

If you can get away for breakfast during your stay try Carman's Country Kitchen. Let Carman know it's your anniversary. She'll make it special.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

If you can get away for breakfast during your stay try Carman's Country Kitchen.  Let Carman know it's your anniversary.  She'll make it special.

Ummmm.... YUM! Ok, given that review I may be looking forward to breakfast more than dinner. Thanks, Holly.

I was looking into Astral Plane, too, but saw mixed reviews on Digital City (I think that's where it was). Still may keep it on the possibilities list.

Astral Plane is a wonderful place! Deux Cheminees is, too, but Holly provided the qualification.

Philly has many byob places that can help you keep your budget as you enjoy an excellent meal.

Are location and/or transportation issues? If so, qualify your geography and we'll do our best.

The locals will steer you to many favorites in Old City, South Philly, Rittenhouse Square, Society Hill, Manayunk, etc.

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

Where can we go in Philly for a romantic anniversary dinner when our budget (including wine) is about $200? We like pretty much any kind of food.

That's cool. What's your idea of romantic? An intimate place, dark, eclectic, where the two of you can eat with one hand as you hold hands with the other across the table and gaze longingly over the small candle? That's more like Astral Plane. Somewhere big and fancy and nice, in a gorgeous old building where you can sit in the middle of several hundred people and pretend you're the only ones there? That's more like Striped Bass. A little neighborhood taqueria where... oh wait, there's no way you can spend $200 at Veracruzana. :laugh:

Um, yeah, anyway--what kinda atmosphere defines romantic for you?

is that $200 also including tax and tip?

wondering if striped bass will fit the bill.

other than that, have shola do a private dinner for you at studiokitchen.

if you like interesting stuff, $100 pp inc. tip (wine you'll hafta bring yourself) will blow your mind. although it might be too private just the three of you.

search www.citypaper.net for their article on studiokitchen if you want more info.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Hi and welcome

First, I have to strongly disagree with the Astral Plane recommendations--I was taken there recently on a 'romantic' date and honestly, this place isn't romantic at all. It's like being in an old moldy attic with overstuffed uncomfortable chairs, obstrusive yet inept service, and terrible food served in dim lighting so they hope you won't notice. Yuck! Honestly, I imagine the place was a big deal when it first opened, but that was decades ago! Skip it. Skip Friday Saturday Sunday too --- very boring, not terribly romantic, except for the upstairs bar. Both of these places are popular with the gay crowd, and they are very friendly in that respect, but that aside, they're totally missable.

My recommendations--again, depending on what you find romantic--

1. Django--small, cozy, friendly, consistently delicious farm-fresh food. The tables a bit close together and it can be a little noisy, but this wouldn't bother everyone.

2. Alma de Cuba--this is a bit more glamorous, low lighting, comfy seats (especially if you ask for a nook on first floor), sexy food--i.e. ceviche.

3. Beau Monde--this is a less expensive option, french creperie, fireplace, very bistro like.

4. Lacroix at the Rittenhouse--I haven't been yet, honestly, but I have friends going there for their anniversary this week and can report back. The price isn't unreasonable--I believe it's $55 for 3 courses.

5. Pigalle--french bistro in Northern Liberties, low lighting, great food, this might be a very nice choice.

6. Angelina--again, going just on what I'm hearing about this place recently, the food is well reviewed, it sounds reasonably priced (entrees around $20), and the setting is supposed to be beautiful.

Have a great time--

And Definitely do go to Carman's for brunch!!

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Wow! Thanks everyone for the slew of recommendations. I'll have to check out some of the places you mentioned over the weekend via Internet research. To answer some questions that came in:

1. Transportation is not a problem. We have a car or we could take the R8 into the city from my parent's house in Chestnut Hill. So the Yunk (as I affectionately call Manayunk), Society Hill, N. Liberties, etc. are all options. But FYI, we are starting out in Chestnut Hill (thought I'd like to get out of there for the evening)

2. Romantic for me: hmmmm. Don't know if I have a clear definition. I like lowish-lighting, the ability to be able to talk to my date without shouting over any music or other conversational noise. Enough environmental noise and space between our table and others aroond us that we can flirt with each other without the world overhearing. :smile: Whether it's a tiny place or a big classy place doesn't really mean much to me. Does that description work for you?

I forgot about the prevalance of BYOB places in Philly. Is there a corkage fee for BYOB? In DC, it's a standard $15.

Thanks again, all!

Although it is not one of my favorites, i think Holly is right to recommend "Deux Chiminees". Beautiful, old townhouse setting, and the food can be quite good. La Croix is also a good choice, but might be a little too lively to qualify as romantic.

okay,

1) i think pigalle is a great choice.

2) i also think pasion would be a better choice, if you can get a res.

it probably would be my top choice.

3) too many BYOBs in Philly, both very good ones and in general, that such that a corkage fee, would probably drive customers away after the first time.

4) deux cheminee and vetri are both good options. being former townhouses, the small rooms have no choice but to be conducive to romance. having never been in either, i cannot comment further. anyone?

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Great recommendations so far by everyone! I'll second and third Pigalle, sexy/romantic French Bistro with very good food, easily within the $200 limit. I'd also second Pasion, though you'll be a lot closer to and maybe even at that $200 mark (their wine list is overpriced I'm sorry to say). I'll also say that Alma de Cuba would be a very good choice as well, sexy, sleek and very good food. I'll throw two more out there: Tangerine, with it's wall of inlaid votive candles and low light it is very romantic. And a new restaurant that we've been to in Olde City: Red Sky. Now this place has a very New York/Miami minimalist atmosphere with a steel bar and bar chairs, red backlit wall and ceiling, and a very loungy/cool vibe. And, by the way the food is very good and you'd be within your budget. Many great choices to choose from so I don't think you'll miss if you choose any of them! Happy anniversary! :biggrin:

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."

4) deux cheminee and vetri are both good options.  being former townhouses, the small rooms have no choice but to be conducive to romance.  having never been in either, i cannot comment further.  anyone?

I went to Deux Cheminees a couple years ago. It was excellent, but a little stuffy, formal, and the food as everyone knows is classic french, with lots of cream sauces and reductions. If you're not used to that sort of food, it can sit real heavily. When I was there, it was dark enough, it was quiet enough, the service was excellent if formal, and all told it ran us a little over $200 for a couple. Maybe closer to $250. It was nice, but it was a while ago, so I don't have much more to say.

I was at Lacroix this past June, and while it is relatively lively, is still an expensive hotel restaurant, and as such is not lively like, say, Django or one of those smaller, louder restaurants. The tables might be a little closer together than you'd like for real romance, but if you can get one that overlooks the square, it's real pretty. But the key thing: the food. Three courses plus dessert for $55 is... well I can't quite bring myself to say it's a bargain, but I'll definitely say it's not overpriced by any stretch of the imagination. Everything we had was exquisite, just perfectly done. And if you're bigger eaters than we were, get four for $65 or 5 for $75. I've heard good things about the cheese cart, but we didn't have it. Service was excellent--attentive but not obtrusive. Wine was kinda pricey--a bottle of gewurtztraminer I was getting for $10.50 or so at the liquor store was $40, or $10 a glass.

I can't say enough good things about our experience there. We had a great time.

(Edited to say: you said Vetri, and I babbled about Lacroix. Um, duh? I'm leaving it anyway, since I haven't been to Vetri in about three years).

Edited by mrbigjas (log)

4) deux cheminee and vetri are both good options.  being former townhouses, the small rooms have no choice but to be conducive to romance.  having never been in either, i cannot comment further.  anyone?

I don't think Vetri is romantic at all. It's nothing specific I can pinpoint, but the aura there is very business-like, and a bit cold--maybe it's the tone set by the maitre d, or by Vetri himself, who is rather a cold fish except to his friends. More importantly, the place is a ripoff. Skip it.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

I second Duex Cheminees, thought it can get whoppingly expensive with drinks and wine; Pigalle is very romantic and affordable and a great dining value. I would also add Bridgid's in the Art Museum area (2401 Meredith St.)to the list. It is very cozy and romantic with very personal service and very good simple food; Rembrant's on 22nd St. just abover Fairmount Ave. is also very romantic, especially in the evening.

And not to be a shameless shill, but I think of Striped bass as very romantic is very dramaric sort of way, but you can very easily exceed your $200 budget without some wine advice from our resident Philly wine geek, Katie Loeb.

Edited by Rich Pawlak (log)

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

I second Duex Cheminess, thought it can get whoppingly expensive with drinks and wine; Pigalle is very romantic and affordable and a great dining value.  I would also add Bridgid's  in the Art Museum area (2401 Meredith St.)to the list.  It is very cozy and romantic with very personal service and very good simple food; Rembrant's on 22nd St. just abover Fairmount Ave. is also very romantic, especially in the evening.

And not to be a shameless shill, but I think of Striped bass as very romantic is very dramaric sort of way, but you can very easily exceed your $200 budget without some wine advice from our resident Philly wine geek, Katie Loeb.

Thanks for the plug Rich! I've avoided answering this thread so as NOT to appear to be shilling for the home team. I'd be happy to assist Slobhan with planning a lovely dinner if that's what is desired. The staff is extensively trained in assisting with pairing wines by-the-glass and my partner-in-crime, Melissa, our on the floor sommeliere, would be delighted to make wine suggestions that would both compliment your dinner and stay within budget. The room is gorgeous and romantic, if I do say so myself, and the service is fabulous. I love the staff here as they all take a lot of pride in their level of professionalism. Our new chef has changed a few dishes a bit and there are some truly outstanding and interesting new dishes on the menu these days. Melissa and I have really tried to find wines that compliment the more savory and ethnic flavors in these new dishes. We have a new wine by the glass from Alsace (Domaine Barmes-Beucher Sept Grains 2001), which is made of the free run juice of seven different types of grapes. It's aromatic and delicious and a perfect pairing to several items on the menu.

Please let the reservations staff know that this is an anniversary dinner, and all care will be taken to be certain your meal is memorable and worthy of such a special occasion. If you have any other specific questions about the restaurant, the menu, or particularly the wine list I'd be happy to assist. Feel free to PM me or call the restaurant's main number and ask for me and I'll do whatever I can to help.

The other suggestions you've received are also excellent. I'm very fond of Deux Cheminees for special occasion dining, as well as Pigalle. There is no corkage fee customary at BYOB restaurants in Philadelphia, only at those with liquor licenses. There are any number of excellent BYOB restaurants in our fair city that would serve you a fantastic meal, if that's the route you chose to take.

Happy Anniversary!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Katie, you bring up a question that I have had. What IS the typical corkage fee in Philly anyway? I'm sure it's more at more expensive restaurants but I'm also sure its gotta be cheaper than in NYC. I have always been embarrassed to do such a thing at a fine restaurant, should I be? Is it considered bad taste to bring a bottle to a fine dining establishment? I'm sure they'd blow a gasket (or perhaps a cork?) if you showed up at LBF with your own bottle! Just wondering what the attitude (now be honest) at SB is regarding this. Thanks!

Katie, you bring up a question that I have had. What IS the typical corkage fee in Philly anyway? I'm sure it's more at more expensive restaurants but I'm also sure its gotta be cheaper than in NYC. I have always been embarrassed to do such a thing at a fine restaurant, should I be? Is it considered bad taste to bring a bottle to a fine dining establishment? I'm sure they'd blow a gasket (or perhaps a cork?) if you showed up at LBF with your own bottle! Just wondering what the attitude (now be honest) at SB is regarding this. Thanks!

David:

Corkage varies depending on the establishment, but at least at SB, the fee is $25.00/bottle. I suspect it is approximately the same at other high end restaurants. I've seen it vary from $10.00/bottle up to about $35.00 in places where they really want you to buy their wine. Of course this is meant to discourage BYO at a place that both possesses a liquor license, and that makes a hefty portion of their revenue from said license. The corkage is sometimes waived for very "regular" customers. The presumption, I think, is that you should be able to locate something on the list at a restaurant that prides themselves on their wine selection and service. However, if you were celebrating your birthday or anniversary and had that special bottle that you'd had lying down since the appropriate date and it wasn't something replicated on the restaurant's list, the appropriate procedure is to call ahead and either speak with the sommelier or have a notation put with your reservation so as not to offend anyone. It doesn't happen too often, but every once in a while we have clients that have that oh-so-special bottle that will make their dining expereince complete, so that's where corkage fees come into play.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

which BYOB is it that has really nice glasses (Riedel?) that they charge like a $7 corkage fee for?

I think that's Pif, but I might be wrong. I heardthere was another place west of the city that does same. No clues on the name but I think it was in a LaBan review.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

You guys/gals may blow a gasket after reading this, but...... my bro's party has been moved because of a family issue with his wife's family -- nothing conflict-related, actually health-related. So -- his party is now the weekend after our anniversary and we will be in DC for the evening of the anniversary after all. :wacko:

I couldn't have seen this coming -- so I came here for your help. I have been VERY impressed with your generous help, and Katie, maybe we'll come to SB next year -- thank you for being so generous to offer your help to me, a complete stranger!

Sorry, folks. I have made a list of your great recommendations and promise to make my way through them when I can. (For simple starters, you better believe I'm heading to Carman's for breakfast soon!)

Thanks again for your generous help and for your detailed reviews. I am surely going to become addicted to this site if everyone out there is as nice as yous (a little Philly grammar fun) are.

Thanks,

Slobhan

which BYOB is it that has really nice glasses (Riedel?) that they charge like a $7 corkage fee for?

I think that's Pif, but I might be wrong. I heardthere was another place west of the city that does same. No clues on the name but I think it was in a LaBan review.

You're thinking of the pretentious Spezia, in Bryn Mawr. Silly, that Reidel charge.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Thanks for the information Katie and it makes perfect sense to me. $25-$35 corkage fee is reasonable and if and when I have that 1990 Brunello or Barolo perhaps I'll call ahead and make sure it's OK (though I'm sure SB has them in their cellar!). Thats a good idea so everone knows what's going on and no one is embarrassed.

Thanks for the information Katie and it makes perfect sense to me. $25-$35 corkage fee is reasonable and if and when I have that 1990 Brunello or Barolo perhaps I'll call ahead and make sure it's OK (though I'm sure SB has them in their cellar!). Thats a good idea so everone knows what's going on and no one is embarrassed.

David:

I see the reasoning with this as being similar to bringing your own cake into a restaurant that has a full time pastry chef/department. If you call ahead and clear it, it's almost always OK. They might charge you a nominal fee per person to "plate" your dessert, i.e. slice it and garnish it with whipped cream and a sprig of mint or whatever, but if you check it first with management, no one is offended.

Oh - and when you decide to uncork that Brunello, make sure to let me know :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!