• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Apple Orchards

bloviatrix

Weather permitting, I plan to go apple picking this weekend. It's been about 10 years since I last did this. Does anyone have recommendations of where to go. Ideally, I don't want to travel more than 75 miles from Manhattan.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Sorry to break the bad news, but you may have trouble finding any apples left. Most orchards are already picked, though there may be some red delicious hanging around.

Dr. Davies in New City (or Congers) may be the closest around...

Good luck!

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

You might want to try Masker's-- www.maskers.com. They are about an hour out of the city off the Thruway. I was there 2 weeks ago and there were a decent amount of apples left. You might still be in luck.

The following are about an hour's drive from NYC (without traffic, of course!):

Battleview Orchards, 91 Wemrock Rd., Freehold

(732) 462-0756 / (800) 662-3075

Battleview Web Page

Eastmont Orchards, Rt. 537, Colts Neck

(732) 542-5404

Eastmont Web Page

Crest Fruit Farm, 82 Thompsons Grove Rd., Manalapan

(732) 462-5669

Since it is rather late in the season, I think it would be a good idea to call them to see if there is anything to pick before driving out.

Seconding the comments that most of apple season is over.

But, there are nice pick your own orchards around near Warwick, NY (a little north of the NY/NJ border - about 45-50 miles from NYC. You can enjoy the fall foliage and also pick pumpkins.

just google for warwick apple orchards

--mh

--mark

Everybody has Problems, but Chemists have Solutions.

A trip to Warwick could also combine a visit to Bobolink Cheese.

Apples are still plentiful and amazing up here in Warren, Wsahington and Saratoga Counties. this has been the best apple season in my memory. I recently bought absolutely amazing Mutsu's and northern spies at a local farmer's market.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I realize it's late in the season. But the jewish holidays gobbled up all my weekends for the past month.

Docsconz, I agree with you about the apples this year. I've been eating multiple apples a day this season. I'm particularly fond of the Rhode Island Greenling.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs