• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trio Gains Mobil Fifth Star

jeffj

Wow - one of only 14 five-star restaurants in the US. A fantastic achievement, chefg!

Though clearly not in the same league award-wise, congratulations on being named "Best Chef" by Chicago Magazine and 3rd best restaurant (Everest was number one? :hmmm::huh: )

Edited by nightscotsman (log)

Is it me ? or did the 5 star list shrink considerably?

There were 14 last year as well, although a few restaurants closed during the year. Lespinasse....Ginza Sushi-ko. I wonder why Daniel Boulud's place lost it's star. That's pretty surprising isn't it? Mary Elaine's in the Phoenecian (sp?) is also no longer on the list.

mike

Edited by mikeczyz (log)

I see that the Inn at Little Washington is the only place to receive five stars for food and lodging. How expensive is that place?

I think our meal for two with wine for one of us was about 350. Didn't stay there, but rooms run 400+ per night. Very nice if a little stuffy.

Bill Russell

I see that the Inn at Little Washington is the only place to receive five stars for food and lodging. How expensive is that place?

Nope, Woodlands, a Relais et Chateaux property outside of Charleston, SC, got elevated to 5/5 this year.

As to prices at the Inn, expensive with a capital E -- but worth every penny in my opinion. I haven't been there for a couple of years, 2001, I think. If I recall correctly, the 3 course (plus) prix fixe dinner was $88 Sunday, Monday, (closed Tuesday except during October), Wednesday and Thursday. Then it went to something like $98 on Friday and $118 on Saturday.

Rooms ran from maybe $400 something to around $800. The Inn itself has perhaps 12 rooms (odd numbers overlook the garden and evens the street) and there are a few rooms in out buildings.

There were 14 last year as well, although a few restaurants closed during the year.  Lespinasse....Ginza Sushi-ko.

Ginza Sushi-ko closed?

Does anyone know the story?

Bruce

closed for relocation to the aol time warner building from what i hear

mike

What kind of food does the Inn do? And what makes the lodging so special? Geez, i have never been able to justify paying $400 a night to sleep in a room, no matter how nice. But here's to the folks who can afford it.

It is pretty straightforward American cooking with a lot of Local Virginia ingredients. Nothing cutting edge but still very well done.

The decor is a little frilly for my taste, but my wife loved it.

I think they are able to charge the rates they do because there are so few rooms and most of the guests are there to eat in the restaurant. Washington Virginia is a VERY small town about an hour outside of the DC beltway. It has some nice, but pricey shops and a number of bed and breakfasts that have grown up around the Inn.

My wife and I stayed in another B&B two blcoks away that was perfectly fine for $200 a night.

Bill Russell

What kind of food does the Inn do? And what makes the lodging so special? Geez, i have never been able to justify paying $400 a night to sleep in a room, no matter how nice. But here's to the folks who can afford it.

As bilrus said, very American, very Virginia southern. In many cases, put a very high end feel to traditional southern cooking and you are in the ball park. About half the menu are things that have been there for 20 years; but very seasonal too -- if that makes sense. I stole the crab salad that is often on the menu after I helped Patrick do the dish for the 50th anniversary event at the Maisonette (since are talking about 5 star places). I do several variations on the theme quite often.

A simple jumbo lump crab salad layered with large flakes of avocado and molded in a ring. Puddled sauce of cantaloupe and pineapple puree. Baby kiwi garnish.

Patrick's cooking is all about letting the flavors of great ingredients shine. I have never had anything at the Inn that wasn't an absolutely perfect example of exactly he wanted.

If you think you are paying $400 (or any other number) to "sleep in a room," you won't appreciate the Inn. Hotel and resort properties at that level are not places to stay -- they are theatre. You, the staff and the property are all actors in a play. Everyone and everything around you is there to make you feel a certain way -- exactly which way you have some control over, within limits, and that's what makes it fun and exciting. When a property does this right, the experience is unforgettable, whatever the price. The Inn is one of a very few number of places that I have experienced that do it right -- every time. Maybe we are now to an entirely other thread; but you asked.

Bill, the Inn owns a whole bunch of those shops as well as I understand it.

Edited by MichaelB (log)

We had an incredible meal at Trio last month. It is a well deserved star. Congratulations.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad