• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oatmeal used in savory cooking?

newsbabe

Other than haggis (ewww!) does anyone have any interesting ways of using oatmeal in cooking? Not that we don't like our steam bowl of oats and brown sugar, but I'm interested in find ways of pairing it with meats, or other ways to serve it in a main meal?

someone, I think it's Jane Grigson, has a recipe for oatmeal pastry, which she uses for a tomato tart with Lancashire cheese. I think. will go home tonight and check.

my dear ole mum (yuck) used to talk about her grandparents letting leftover porridge cool, cutting it into strips and frying it. this would be savoury/salted porridge, them being Scottish. sort of like a Scottish version of polenta? god.

it occurs to me (only now) that this tale may be apocryphal.

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

As a breading for lamb, venison, or pork.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

my dear ole mum (yuck) used to talk about her grandparents letting leftover porridge cool, cutting it into strips and frying it.  this would be savoury/salted porridge, them being Scottish.  sort of like a Scottish version of polenta?  god. 

it occurs to me (only now) that this tale may be apocryphal.

Where your family from the West coast or the islands? Many families in these parts had a porrage/porridge draw for storing the cooked and cooled item. I work with somebody who is 30 and he use to tale cold cubes to porrage to school as lunch.

Where your family from the West coast or the islands? Many families in these parts had a porrage/porridge draw for storing the cooked and cooled item. I work with somebody who is 30 and he use to tale cold cubes to porrage to school as lunch.

West coast. And she did talk about them pouring it into the drawer to set, but I dismissed that as clearly rubbish - ha, shows what I know. Thanks for enlightening! And now I'm trying to imagine a worse lunch than cubes of cold porridge, and not really succeeding.

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

.... And now I'm trying to imagine a worse lunch than cubes of cold porridge, and not really succeeding.

There just isn't one! That's why I learned to eat it hot because if I didn't finish it at breakfast it re-appeared at lunch and if it wasn't finished at lunch - guess what was for my tea that day? Horrid as it is hot, it's indescribably worse cold!

Anna N

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Last week I used the excess oatmeal from a too zealous batch of overnight oatmeal made in a crock pot to make deliciously fragrant,nutty,slightly sweet bread(well 2 loaves actually).While wonderful on it's own...my husband decided that freshly ground into bread crumbs,it would make a nice/different addition to the meatloaf he was concocting.Skeptical at first...it really was good and savory.In fact...I am making more of the same bread right now so that we can use some this weekend...possibly in some other dish.