• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Any Mexican Updates?

:biggrin: good one, Marina.

...which leads me to my next olive anecdote;

Picture the scene; the subburbs of Norwich, 1992

Two students enter supermarket in search of olives to garnish pitiful attempts at home-made pizza. In the condiments section there is only ketchup, brown sauce, pickled eggs, etc. to be found. An assistant is called and asked where the olives are kept in the shop. The assistant takes the two students down to the drinks section where 3 dusty jars of green olives are stacked next to bottles of Martini. After all, as your kind Blackpool waiter demonstrated, what else would you do with an olive other than float it in your drink?

Mind you, this was a proper supermaket - not a corner shop and long before the advent of tapas.

Oh, thems were the days...

don't bother. went back in the evening and it was very disappointing. and expensive ...

m

Agreed -

I had lunch there yesterday - Gravadlax tacos? Mozzarella, tomato and basil burritos? So Mexican it gave me goose bumps.

The corn tortilla tacos were very stiff and folded in half, a la "Old El Paso" and the mole was way too sweet...

The guacamole was very good, as was the salsa verde and the habanero salsa... so I might go back for drinks and guacamole.

Apparently it is still the same chef from Down Mexico Way days, so that could explain a lot.

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

Gravadlax tacos? Mozzarella, tomato and basil burritos? So Mexican it gave me goose bumps.

How depressing. Maybe we can raise a subscription and send the chef to Mexico - or at least buy him a Mexican cook book.

:sad:

I guess this means that the quest continues...

As a Texan who pines for a fix of Tex-Mex when even across the border in another state, I sincerely feel your pain and longing.

It sounds like it would be a fantasitc opportunity to open a really good Mexican place in London!

For your viewing pleasure, here is a link to my favorite Mexican restaurant - it has a 50 year history here in Houston. Pictures!

http://www.spanishvillagerestaurant.com/

Good Luck in your quest! :smile:

If you can't act fit to eat like folks, you can just set here and eat in the kitchen - Calpurnia

• 4 weeks later...
According to Restaurant, young Tom Conran is going to open a Mexican place on Westbourne Park Road.

He is currently 'testing recipes at home'.

Doubt it's anything to get excited about

Interesting.........

One of the Conran Kids wives came to my Mexican workshop for the Guild of Food Writers in November. (she is the daughter in law of a friend, a member of the guild). She was very excited about Mexican food, being from California, and I shared many good recipes with her, I even gave her a bag of fresh white corn tortillas as i was heading out to california the next day. and i promised to bring her back a jar of nopales (which I did, in my carry on case on the plane, and she hasn't collected yet......).

does anyone know the date of launch? i wonder if it involves my "student" or a different member of the family.

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

Spanish Village Restaurant?

I have only one thing to say:

Blah

well, blah blah blah blah blah.

this is cute.

but menu doesn't impress me, alas, but then i'm one spoiled muchacha when it comes to mexican food. and if it were available here in britain i admit i WOULD be running. there. now.

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

• 1 year later...

As its now been over a year since anyone last posted on this, I thought I'd revive the question:

ANY IMPROVEMENTS ON THE MEXICAN FRONT IN LONDON????

Please. Its cold. Its January. I'm getting desperate.

"ANY IMPROVEMENTS ON THE MEXICAN FRONT IN LONDON????"

Actually.... YES...

Go and try Sol y Luna on 103 Hampstead Road - Just across from Tottenham Court Road...

My friend Marisol, ex-Si Señor, has just re-branded this resto from Venezuelan to Mexican, and she is doing a good job - it's not quite finished yet, and they are open only at night so far... but it's worth a try -

I've been a couple of times and the food is very nice...

buen provecho!

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

Sandra, this is very exciting. Its so close to my work as well!

What's on the menu?

See, persistance pays off. I'll keep reviving this thread and asking the same question until the streets of London are running with mole and hand-made tortillas are available in my corner shop...

...well, maybe that's being a bit too hopeful...

"ANY IMPROVEMENTS ON THE MEXICAN FRONT IN LONDON????"

Actually.... YES...

Go and try Sol y Luna on 103 Hampstead Road - Just across from Tottenham Court Road...

My friend Marisol, ex-Si Señor, has just re-branded this resto from Venezuelan to Mexican, and she is doing a good job - it's not quite finished yet, and they are open only at night so far... but it's worth a try -

I've been a couple of times and the food is very nice...

buen provecho!

Hallie, on the menu are taquitos, ensalada de nopales, queso fundido, and then filete con salsa de chipotle, pollo con mole, some fish and shellfish and the usual flan and crepas de cajeta, ice creams - loads more in terms of starters and mains, I juxt can't think of specifics right now...

Give them a try, their phone number is: 7387 4064

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

Hallie, on the menu are taquitos, ensalada de nopales, queso fundido, and then filete con salsa de chipotle, pollo con mole, some fish and shellfish and the usual flan and crepas de cajeta, ice creams - loads more in terms of starters and mains, I juxt can't think of specifics right now...

Give them a try, their phone number is: 7387 4064

Thanks Sandra! I can't wait to give them a try!

• 1 month later...

The cool chile company will be opening a taqueria very near where I live!

It is on the site of that African restaurant on Westbourne grove near the junction with Chepstow Road. Just next to Alastair little's shop Tavola.

There are builders there now. I will keep an eye on it.

update on the new Mexican on Hampstead Road - Marisol has changed the name to Mestizo and it is now fully up and running, open at lunch as well - details still as above...

:wink:

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

• 4 weeks later...

Right, another full update on Mestizo - I went again today...

Saturdays they do a special of pozole, which was excellent.

More of the new menu items:

Filete a la tampiquena, flautas, a molcajete, a big mortar filled with all the taco makings you can want, meat, chicken, cheese, avocado, cilantro, chorizo, onions, suces, tortillas, both corn and flour, come on the side and you roll your own tacos - sopa de tortilla, a beef dish with chipotle sauce, a stuffed chicken with a creamy tequila sauce.. the list goes on and on...

On Thursday evenings they will also be having "taco nights" in the bar downstairs, which is open til late...

oh... and crepas de cajeta for dessert....

Do go and try it... you will be happily surprised...

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

I went to Mestizo on Sunday. Worth the trip. Slightly clueless but friendly service, and I had a brief chat with the friendly owner who seemed to be pleased to be bringing enlightenment to the masses.

They have a large selection of tapa type things, which we ordered since I was with a slightly picky eater.

We had some tacos and some queso fritto whcih had a very good tomatillo salsa but was a bit heavy. Also some flautas which are crisp fried tortillas rolled up with chicken inside. Lots of other tempting things on the menu.

Overall I was pretty impressed -- very good value by London standards, quite a nice cool room.

I have never been to Mexico so I can't vouch for its authenticity, but it compared pretty well with stuff in Santa Fe.

(a not very helpful website here )

Edited by balex (log)

• 1 month later...

Tomatillo alert...just found some very nice specimins at the Islington Farmer's Market. It's the stall that sells tomatoes, I think they may also be at Borough. Anyways, they have a WHOLE GREENHOUSE of tomatillos.

*makes salsa*

Edited by Suzi Edwards (log)

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum