• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Is it ok to keep Liquor in a freezer?

thrasymachus

I keep vodka in the freezer just so it pours cold. There are experts here, though, who may have additional reasons.

It not just pours cold but the viscosity of the liquid changes at a lower tempature. This is for both gin and vodka, and ideal for doing shots.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I keep vodka in the freezer just so it pours cold. There are experts here, though, who may have additional reasons.

It not just pours cold but the viscosity of the liquid changes at a lower tempature. This is for both gin and vodka, and ideal for doing shots.

FWIW, and interestingly enough, the viscosity and mouthfeel of many liquors also notably "thickens" upon the introduction of a small amount of water. I have observed this adding a bit of water to blended and single malt scotch, and also with martinis when they come out of the cocktail mixer (one argument, in my book, for not freezing the gin if it is for use in martinis).

--

:laugh:

My freezer solely serves the purpose for the much needed ice on hand at all times deemed necessary for a cocktail and to store my vodkas, one bottle of gin and one bottle of Jägermeister.

I enjoy the muted effect on the juniperness (like drinking a Christmas tree!) of the gin and having my alcohol as cold as possible so as not to melt my little ice cubes at an alarming rate and muddling up a perfectly good cocktail due to procrastination. (I'm still working on that acquiring the taste of gin thing, however the botanicals of Tanqueray 10 seemed to be more to my preference).