• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

25 for $25

NOW, THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN' ABOUT!!! :cool:

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

OK folks, so when are we going?

"When are we not going" might be a shorter list of dates....

Doesn't this seem like a big FU! to the official 25 for 25? I'm not critisizing, just saying....

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

Thanks girl chow!

I got a reservation for a pre-symphony dinner. They are still a bit vague on the details - but it is definitely in reponse to the 25 for 25 and how badly that impacted their business last time. And the boredom of the same ol' restaurant line up.

OK folks, so when are we going?

OH YESSSS! When are we going? Dave and I would LOVE to join!!!

BTW: We miss you guys and can't wait to see everyone again :smile:

Edited by seawakim (log)

"If we don't find anything pleasant at least we shall find something new." Voltaire

You managed to pick the best Thursday in March for me! I'm in, but I have a feeling I'll be going more than once next month.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I made reservations for seven people at 6:00 PM on March 25th.

The seven people include:

Ledlund and Paul

Girl Chow

MsRamsey

Blue Heron

Seawakim and Dave

Fred and Ed

I can add to the reservation if anyone else decides to join us.

edited to add Fred and Ed.

Edited by LEdlund (log)

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

Went to Union last night. :biggrin: ya'll will NOT be disappointed.

Started off with an amuse of oxtail, sitting on top of a puree of... beets. YES BEETS. (beets work for me, soooo)

2nd: Tuna Tartare with apple and ginger. Lovely dish. Nice balance of flavors, with the crunch from the ginger & apples.

3rd: Creamy Lentil Soup with bacon and braised lamb shank. Yummy dish, interesting to me to have something so hearty come before another fish course...

4th: Seared Fluke with shaved fennel salad and avocado puree. Fabulous dish, but I might have paired it with sliced avocado instead of the puree. the puree struck me as a bit too 'guacomole-ish'. (or would that be guacamolish?)

5th: Muscovy Duck Breast with rosemary scented oyster mushrooms, port reduction. Wow, garnished with some fleur de sel, this was beautiful. I think the shrooms could have been cooked a titch more, but wow, the duck was perfect.

6th: Fourme d'Ambert bleu cheese with toasted pecans, garden greens. Really great stinky cheese, everything on the plate matched wonderfully. This one also went with our wine quite well :smile:

7th: Goat Yogurt Sorbet with grapefruit soup. A great palate cleanser. this dish did NOT go with our wine :raz: but that's understandable.

8th: Chocolate and Espresso pot de creme. YUM.

This, folks, is a screaming deal. The size of the portions are typical tasting menu size, NOT scaled down in any way.

We had 3 bottles of wine, the first one being something I can't remember, but it was a french red, heavy heavy tannins, which we decided was a bit rich to cover everything. Next two bottles were 2001 Kiona Cab Sauv. This is a really nice wine for not a lot of money. The waiter raved over it, saying it beat out several bordeaux in a side by side tasting.

GO to Union while they are offering this!!!

Born Free, Now Expensive

An article is apparently coming out tomorrow (man at Union didn't know if it was Times or P-I) about the restaurants doing an alterna-25/25. So make that reservation now before everyone knows!

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I went to dinner at Union last week and made two reservations on the spot. Now I'm even more glad I did. That menu sounds most excellent.

I am so excited for March 25th!

I am SOOOO EXCITED! :smile::raz::laugh:

I wonder if we should make the reservations for sooner than that - wouldn't want the restaurant to change their mind or anything.... :blink:

"If we don't find anything pleasant at least we shall find something new." Voltaire

... We had 3 bottles of wine, the first one being something I can't remember, but it was a french red, heavy heavy tannins, which we decided was a bit rich to cover everything...

GO to Union while they are offering this!!!

It was a French Cabernet Franc from the Loire Valley. It definitely needed decanting/swirling, but I noticed by the time the duck course came out (after 60 minutes of swirling) it was somewhat, ummm tasteable. Personally, I'd remove it from the wine menu. You made a good choice for the remaining courses.

This offering by Union is by far the best thing going on in the city; bar none.

DO NOT WASTE ANY TIME GETTING TO THIS PLACE. DO NOT WAIT. DO NOT PASS GO; BUT COLLECT 2OO HUNDRED DOLLARS BECAUSE, AS WITH ALL THE OTHER PLACES, YOU'LL NEED IT FOR THE WINE. GO DIRECTLY TO UNION. YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED!

Eight courses for $25 far exceeds anything going on in the city. They do not hold back on the quantity simply because you're ordering eight courses for $25. Each course was a delight. The GF and I are going again next week; and possibly each of the next three weeks.

OH MY GOD! MY INTERNET CONNECTION IS BACK!!!!! :laugh:

Edited by Really Nice! (log)

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

Welcome back, Really Nice!! We missed you!

I made extra reservations for Union next week too.

Gov. Schwarzenegger.