• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Neighborhood Faves?

lano

A friend and I recently were talking recently about our favorite all time restaurants.  While these are more than "just a dinner", more of an experience, sometimes they are too much of a production.  For example, although I've had several wonderful experiences at Ryland Inn, I don't think I could eat there frequently (disregarding cost).  Sometimes, I prefer going to a local place because of ease, cost and relative good food.  Although the food may not be on par or even nearly as good as the best, they are still noteworthy.

One that I love is Formia in Bloomfield.  It is a tiny store front restaurant that is able to produce much better than average, inventive italian for a reasonable price.  Dinner for 2 the other night was $60 including tip for salad, apps, entrees and 2 glasses of wine.  While this is probably far from the best italian experience, it is a favorite.  It is reasonably priced, unpretensious and offers some interesting dishes compared to the local "overcooked-pasta-slopping-pizzeria-around-the-corner."  This place ain't Il Mulino or Il giglio in NYC, but it is very good in it's own respect.  

What are your local favorites?

I like Formia except for the fact that they aren't BYO. Locally, we like Stretches in Livingston, Sofia's in North Caldwell, Corso 98 in Montclair, Blue Sky in Montclair, Epernay in Montclair, American Grill in Randolph. GEE--there are alot of places I like alot.  :smile:

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Local to me would mean very local, as in a place you can drop in on a weeknight without a reservation, wearing jeans and less than a 10 minute drive. Those would include Tea Garden in Tenafly (fabulous Chinese take-out, that would be rated just a notch or two under China 46), The Road House in Cresskill (that large bar & grill feel, like a TGIF, only locally and independantly owned with much better food (amazing beef pot pie), and live music), Bennies in Englewood (oft discussed), and even Jerry's Osteria, also in Tenafly (only I wouldn't wear jeans on the weekend and also would probably make a reservation or at least call ahead).

HMM.... if the husband is away i feel comfortable at

thirsty moose - wings, ostrich burgers and game

plaza bistro - american cuisine and a byo

krogh's - brew pub with great burgers

i'm trying to get a bit more comfortable going out on my own and trying places for lunch(if i ever get a day off )- red barn in ledgewood, a new spanish place in mine hill, a new peruvian place in dover.  got to red barn so far on this list.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Krogh's - third time in a week somebody has spoken well of it.

brew their own beer, great burgers, sounds like a win!

In Sparta, on old 15, just south of town?

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Krogh's - third time in a week somebody has spoken well of it.

brew their own beer, great burgers, sounds like a win!

In Sparta, on old 15, just south of town?

krogh's, restaurante il porto on the boardwalk, arthurs and plaza bistro are just off of 181(old 15) in what is called the plaza.  

only draw back to krogh's is it can be very smoky, especially at night when there are bands playing. the beer is yummy, the burgers are good and somtimes the music is really good.

if you want further directions i can supply them or check out krogh's website - www.krogh's.com

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

krogh's is one of the best microbrewerys in nj!  another, further away, is the long valley brew pub...still krogh's is the best, not only for their pub food (which is very good!) also their dinners are good-even better are their dinner specials-one of the best is the blackened mahi-mahi with fresh pineapple salsa!-use to call up before going there to see if they were running it for that night!

great beers, although long valley brew pub has hands down the best micro brews around. in their bar area they have all their banners for gold and silver medal winning beers from the state brew fests!

nice places to go for lunch on a nice spring day when you want to take the time to drive into the country for the day! :)

I live in Hunterdon County, which is a sort of wasteland for good food, but here goes:

Miel's in Stockton -- Great "comfort" food, my fave in the nabe.

Franks -- really the best for a red sauce place.

Rosemont General Store -- for desserts to take home

Alberto's -- on Rte 31 just above Flemington -- the best pizzettas and veal in the area.

Etzel's -- on the corner of Rtes. 12 and 579, my local lunch place, and a total dump.  They make everything from scratch.  They make the best onion soup in the county, and maybe the world.

I live in Hunterdon County, which is a sort of wasteland for good food, but here goes:

Miel's in Stockton -- Great "comfort" food, my fave in the nabe.

Franks -- really the best for a red sauce place.

Rosemont General Store -- for desserts to take home

Alberto's -- on Rte 31 just above Flemington -- the best pizzettas and veal in the area.

Etzel's -- on the corner of Rtes. 12 and 579, my local lunch place, and a total dump.  They make everything from scratch.  They make the best onion soup in the county, and maybe the world.

I've spent some time in Hunterdon; I agree on Meil's and would add the following:

Il Mulino and Roberto's (Flemington)

Mom's (breakfast) (Ringoes)

Manon and Church Street Bistro (Lambertville)

Concina del Sol (or something like that) (Frenchtown)

The Critical Diner

"If posts to eGullet became the yardstick of productivity, Tommy would be the ruler of the free world." -- Fat Guy

In Dumont, NJ, there's Uncle Frank's, a great pizzaria with a side dining room.  I love their

seafood salad.  Then there's Italian Connection.  Molinos, just down the st. from Uncle

Frank's is very good.  Then our favorite is Andiamo's in Haworth, good for a full meal or just

a pizza.  Another quickie place is Hannah's in New Milford.

Life is too important to be taken seriously.[br]Oscar Wilde

One of our local favorites is Gigi's on Market Street in Clifton (just across the way from Home Depot).  They are consistently very good and it's a BYOB.  

Another great little find is Bella Notte on Main Street in Little Falls.  Their food is just wonderful and they too are a BYOB.  In fact they are just opening up another restaurant up the road off Steven's Ave (the former site of Pasta Pomadora) and am really looking forward to trying their sister restaurant out.

Also, just found a great pizza place - Paulie's Pizza on Rt 3 West in Clifton.  We have been passing it for years and just tried one of their pies and it was really good  - thin and crispy - yum!

One of our local favorites is Gigi's on Market Street in Clifton (just across the way from Home Depot).  They are consistently very good and it's a BYOB.  

Another great little find is Bella Notte on Main Street in Little Falls.  Their food is just wonderful and they too are a BYOB.  In fact they are just opening up another restaurant up the road off Steven's Ave (the former site of Pasta Pomadora) and am really looking forward to trying their sister restaurant out.

Also, just found a great pizza place - Paulie's Pizza on Rt 3 West in Clifton.  We have been passing it for years and just tried one of their pies and it was really good  - thin and crispy - yum!

Do you have the address of Gigi's? Would we need a reservation during the week or on a Sunday? Also, Do you know the name of the new restaurant that is opening on Steven's Ave. in Little Falls?

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

My sister lives down the road from Wildflowers and i've enjoyed it the few times we've eaten there.

I wasn't too impressed with Conte's (although we got the pie "to go", so i'll have to give it another try when we can "eat in").  Next pizza venture when i'm down her way is DeLorenzo's in Trenton.  Last nite i ate at Denino's in Staten Island which is one of the best pies i've ever had (you can read short review on the NY Board).  Can you tell i LOVE pizza?

We've also eaten at an Itlalian restaurant a few times lately which is in a stip mall (near a Stewart's Root Beer place) which is pretty good and fairly inexpensive (however, if you're easy going enough, sit in the back of the pizzeria side (as opposed to the other side with table cloths) as many of the entrees are a few dollars cheaper).  They do serve pizza in the back of the pizzeria side, but not on the other side (and the pizza was decent).

These are all nice alternatives to the "chain" restaurants on Route 1.

Tried Delorenzo's for the first time 2 weeks ago.  Was pretty good, although the wait for a pie was long.  Place is tiny.  I feel like I was in 1967 while there.

Ray's Seafood in Little Silver, Blue Marlin Jamaican in Bradley Beach, La Chalupa Mexican in Red Bank, Mie Thai in Woodbridge, Little Szcechuan in Little Silver, Memphis Pig Out in Atlantic Highlands, Atlantic BBQ in Belmar.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

I think Conte's beats DeLorenzo's, but pizza is a personal thing.  I think the Italian Pizza/rest combo place might be TJ's,  which is ok with kids cause the pasta is good, but if you try to order anything beyond pizz or pasta, ita a 50/50 chance to get something decent, and sometimes inedible.

Mark, I had a great lunch recently at Mie Thai, it really is great, but I wish I knew what I was eating!  Luckily, I've gone three or four times, with Thai afficianados, so I have not been steered wrong, but I'm still not an independent Thai person yet!  Hope all is well.

Kim

My favorites at Mie Thai are the green mussels sautéed in Thai basil and chili sauce appetizer and any of the half dozen or so dishes featuring the crispy roast duck.

So, why haven't you made any of the eGullet dinners? :wink:

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

oh, ok, I cannot figure out how to quote....however, I guess I have not been out the e-gullet dinners because: three kids, three schools,  four sports and one who does regional, local and school theatre. A husband who is a workaholic. A lost Fall, working full time on the Campaign Staff of our current gov., and a full time REMAX real estate life  that is thriving..every hour not worked is a lost sale....and, truthfully, at the first  dinner  Bob was away, and I felt a little shy ( this egullet is different from the old board!) and the second, I was returning from a Caribbean cruise just the Thursday before, it was a bad time. But I lurk at the threads that describe it, and enjoy your pictures!  Next one for sure, though I vascilate  between wanting to meet Tommy..and not.

tommy's fine. He's much less obnoxious in public and his wife is very nice. I'm pretty sure the next dinner will be at Bella Rosa in East Hanover on May 18th, but I've been busy with tax stuff and will do the final planning later this week. Hey Mark! I think we should plan something down towards your way, wanna help me plan something?

Maybe we should consider having a NJ eGullet dinner in NYC some day.

Whenever it is, it will probably be before they have an "official" dinner.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo