• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hello! Room for an eGullet Newbie?

mrs-j

Hi everyone!

I discovered eGullet while looking up information on Zaytinya. My husband and I will be going there on our anniversary!

From there I found the D.C. & DelMarVa forum. What a great find! I know so many of the restaurants being discussed here!

2941 is a new one - I went to a pre-opening party that one of the owners held, but it's a little far for me to get back there except for a special occasion. I'm glad to hear it's doing well.

Connaught Place - old favorite. Best service and Indian food I've found to date.

So many others!

Hope you don't mind my jumping in and saying hello!

Welcome, Mrs-j. Of course we have room for newbies here. :biggrin:

You might want to consider posting a bio to our Member Bios forum, to introduce yourself to the board.

From one newbie to another, Welcome.

Navigating your way through this board can be a little crazy. Other than FAQ's, is there an egullet 101 somewhere? I had no idea about the member bio's until I read about them here. Will post one when life calms down.

From one newbie to another, Welcome. 

Navigating your way through this board can be a little crazy.  Other than FAQ's, is there an egullet 101 somewhere?  I had no idea about the member bio's until I read about them here.  Will post one when life calms down.

i think it's better for people to slowly explore more and more of the site. too much at once and we'll overload your precious newbie minds.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

i think it's better for people to slowly explore more and more of the site.  too much at once and we'll overload your precious newbie minds.

Precious newbie minds... hehehehe that's pretty funny! :laugh:

Edited by mrs-j (log)

Hi and Welcome.

On the main page, click "discussion forums", and mark that as a bookmark. Look through the different folders that interest you like the local folder (DC&DelMarVa) and any others. When you read through there, go back to the forum main page and click "Todays Active Topics", this is where you get a flavor for what people are discussing here on a given day. You get exposed to lots of different topic areas. Have fun!

Mark

Hi and Welcome.

On the main page, click "discussion forums", and mark that as a bookmark. Look through the different folders that interest you like the local folder (DC&DelMarVa) and any others. When you read through there, go back to the forum main page and click "Todays Active Topics", this is where you get a flavor for what people are discussing here on a given day. You get exposed to lots of different topic areas.  Have fun!

My preference is to click on View New Posts. THat gives me everything that has happened since my last visit. That way I don't miss any of the interesting (or completely inane) stuff that goes on here. And I can choose what I want to read and what I don't.

Bill Russell

not a dc person, but in general, you'll probably be better liked if you don't behave.

Not behaving? That can certainly be arranged! :raz:

also a relative newbie-i've been lurking in 2 geographic areas. this site seems to be the culinary equivalent (at times) to wwf/minor league hockey/ monster truck races. if you want bloody chicklets ( not a side dish) just put in your two cents about a new fast food joint. oh yeah-any tips for navigating the site are more than welcome. victoria

"Ham isn't heroin..." Morgan Spurlock from "Supersize Me"

Hi and Welcome.

On the main page, click "discussion forums", and mark that as a bookmark. Look through the different folders that interest you like the local folder (DC&DelMarVa) and any others. When you read through there, go back to the forum main page and click "Todays Active Topics", this is where you get a flavor for what people are discussing here on a given day. You get exposed to lots of different topic areas.  Have fun!

Marc, how sweet and helpful of you.

Mrs. J-despite what they say, people here tend to be much kinder than in the real world. They say they are sorry and let you state your opinion, even when they know it is wrong. What they say is true about the addictive quality of this board. A day that is suppose to be spent working somehow disappears in the blink of an eye! Be careful.......

Any random threads out there we should know about?