• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

So after much protestation and many months of futile resistance, I am off to Bath this weekend pursuant to a request by my lovely wife.   So having done a search of the board and come up empty, I now rely on you.....

I would greatly appreciate any restaurant recommendations and pub recommendations.  In particular, to the extent it exists, I would be delighted to hear about places that I might not find otherwise.  The locales dont need to be in Bath proper, because we will have car.

Thoughts????

Thomas Secor

Though I would stop lurking and actually post something.

Of my recent visits to Bath the best restaurants have been the Bath Priory and Blinis, both of which are excellent. Bath Priory can be difficult to book in the evenings as they have limited tables for non-residents, the food is always very well done, although the desserts do not appear to be as good as everything else. The wine list is reasonably priced (for Bath) although the set dinner is expensive. Service is formal but pretty friendly.

Blini's is excellent, the food not surprisingly is the same as Lettonie, but the setting and service are less formal than previously, although still what you would expect from a two starred restaurant. The wine list is also pleasantly more reasonable than Lettonie, the room is quite long and narrow with best tables being at the end above the river Avon.

I would not recommend the Fishworks seafood cafe in Green Street, it is pleasant enough but is overpriced for what you get and the quality can be variable, fish soup was OK, sea bass with north african spices was good, spring onion mash was poor.

Thanks Andy and Paul,

Is Blini's the successor to Lettonie?  We are going for my wife's birthday, so we would like to have at least one blow-out dinner. Perhaps Blini's would be the best option (assuming of course that I can get a reservation at this late date).

Thomas Secor

Yes, Blinis is the successor to Lettonie. It is in a parade of shops by Pulteney bridge (used to be Pierre Victoire). The cooking on my recent visit is up to the standard of Lettonie, indeed the menu is very similar. It is a reasonable size so you may be able to get a table.

Best of luck

Paul

i am the bath belly and have beento every restaurant in town. here are my top 5:

1. Blinis

2. Homewood Park (beautiful)

3. The Royal Crescent Hotel Dining Room

4. The Priory

5. Lucknham Park.

Tell me which ones you go to . i can get u a table at all ofthe above at short notice if you need.

good luck,.

ocaptain3@aol.com

Thanks for the recs.  I have made a reservation at Blinis for dinner tomorrow night and we may try Homewood Park tonight.  

At the moment I have reservations at the Queensberry and a B&B outside of Bath highly recommended by friends called the Eagle.  I am leaning towards the B&B, which although most certainly not in the same league on a posh/elegant standard as the Queensberry (or the Royal Crescent, which is simply out of my league at the cash strapped moment), is more our speed, particularly after staying in a fantastic old world hotel in Estonia last weekend (split between the Parc Consul Schlossle and the Parc Consul St. Petersbourg), but more on that in my soon-to-come Estonia posting).  I enjoy the more tranquil and laid back setting of B&Bs usually, and this one is supposed to be particularly friendly.  It also is slightly outside of Bath, which I think I will prefer.

Thomas Secor

Seems I lost my last post somehow, anyway I wanted to follow up, first to say thank you to cappers for your very kind offer regarding the reservations.  Had we not been able to get reservations tomorrow evening, I almost certainly would have taken you up on it.

Second, I was also planning to take in an afternoon tea at the Roman Baths and Pump Room.  Good call? or is there somewhere else we should be taking our tea?

Thomas Secor

nononono..... dont go for twa at the pump rooms. its for tourists from america.

go to the royal crescent hotel. very reasonable prices and amazing Team. Failing the Crescent, Bath Spa is very nice (The hotel not the train station!)

• 2 weeks later...