• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! (2003-2012)

beans

I'm hanging my head in shame and guilt, but I had a hamburger (medium-rare, with tomato, lettuce and mustard) with REALLY crispy fries and a Diet Coke (nectar of the gods). :wub:

Salad for dinner tonight, I think. :wacko:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

I work from home, so my lunch today was...

--the sad-looking remains of some flat scones I accidentally baked with cake flour

--gourmet hummus

--one or two excellent breadsticks

--leftover potstickers

--part of a green pepper

--some dried apricots

--hazelnut-studded dark chocolate bits

:biggrin: I don't lunch, I graze for an hour.

Leftover eggplant parmesan (with my first batch of garden-raised tomato sauce! yeah!), cracked peppercorn pasta w/ EVOO, and half a Bartlett pear.

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

And they were oysters two.

Two oysters met two oysters

And they were oysters too.

Four oysters met a pint of milk

And they were oyster stew.

Today, I had leftovers from Saturday night's dinner. I had my sister and a girlfriend over for some wine and homemade pizzas and was lucky enough to have a couple of slices leftover to bring to work with me. We made one pizza with a pesto base and the other with a blend of roasted garlic, sun dried tomatoes with a bit of olive oil that was processed until smooth. Toppings were mozza cheese, homemade roasted red peppers (much more flavorful than the pre-made stuff!), shrimp and caramelized onions with feta cheese sprinkled on top.

Both were delish but my fave was the one made with the roasted garlic and sun dried tomate base. :wub:

A truly destitute man is not one without riches, but the poor wretch who has never partaken of lobster. - anonymous

A flatbread wrap from Fresco with chicken and roasted veggies, dressed with herb aioli. Eaten during a training class - good catering choice. Yum!

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

After a pretty Hellish couple of weeks on the job, I treated myself to a restaurant lunch at Singapore Bistro in DC. I've been having a major sushi/Asian noodle soup craving lately and decided to indulge it. I had:

- Sushi Appetizer: Tuna, Salmon, White Fish, White Tuna, Shrimp

- Crispy Spring Roll: pork, bean thread noodles, mushrooms

- Singapore Lamb Noodle Soup

And for dessert

- Spicy Tuna Rolls

The Good: the soup was delicious, wonderful, flavorful broth with chewy, pieces of lamb that was really "lamby" not that wimpy, mild stuff that mimics a boneless, skinless chicken breast. The bowl of soup was huge and I ended up having to take half of it with me. The crispy spring roll was wonderful, luscious meaty porky-ness with a light, tasty dipping sauce.

The Bad: the sushi appetizer. I do not proclaim to be a sushi expert; as a matter of fact, I'm pretty much of a novice. But I am an expert about what I like and this was just so so. IMHO, the rice was too warm, the fish didn't "pop," and the fish-to-rice ratio was off: too much rice, too little fish.

The Ugly: I ordered these because I was rather underwhelmed by the sushi appetizer and felt that I hadn't had a proper sushi fix. Well, the rolls weren't even spicy and the tuna had a leaden quality to it.

The Verdict: I'll definitely go back again, but, unfortunately I'll have to avoid the sushi or maybe get some better recommendations from fellow diners on what to order from their sushi menu. Most likely I'm just spoiled since my first sushi experience was at Sushi Taro, also in DC. Excellent.

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Feeling a little off-balance--oh, I know why!--lemon-poppyseed bread, free macaroon & apple pie samples from Whole Foods, a brownie, coffee, red bull...

Ah two jobs and school.

And catering a fundraiser tomorrow---at least there will be good food available.

Drink maker, heart taker!

Ooooh, today it was sliced grilled chicken with sprouts, tomatoes, carmelized onions and pesto on an eight-grain baguette. Watermelon and honeydew for dessert, courtesy of some more office catering.

Queenie Takes Manhattan

Ritz crackers with various toppings, the tablespoon or so left over from making each of the wraps for Daughter's birthday party tomorrow:

Corned beef cheese ball with scallions; chicken salad with minced apples and toasted pecans; pimiento cheese. A handful of celery sticks and snow peas.

Diet pepper fizzed over ice.

The scent of luscious marinated chicken breast hunks stir-frying for a mushroom/chicken/broccoli/bechamel dish.

Tried out the new (and only...) thai restaurant in town and got the Tom Yam Goong to go. Was quite tasty with a healthy serving of shrimps in the soup. I don't have a whole lot of experience with thai food but I enjoyed it and am looking forward to going back with some friends and trying out a few more dishes.

A truly destitute man is not one without riches, but the poor wretch who has never partaken of lobster. - anonymous

A six-egg omelette with shrimp and red pepper. Some very average chocolate someone gave me...it was milk chocolate from Lindt. Very, very sweet.  :wacko:

Lindt is only great for the white chocolate truffles, and they have to be a perfect temperature so you can nibble the little "cap" off and slurp out the ganache. :unsure:

lunch hmmm yesterday was 3 pieces of toast...generic white bread, Cabot butter.

Today will be leftover chunks of pork butt that was braised in hot sauce and maple syrup, maybe wrapped in a tortilla.

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Lunch today was Teriyaki Beef over noodles and salad. Yum.

Tomorrow it's some sort of weird ham/cabbage/onion strudel thing.......I don't know. Onions and cabbage were cheap. :blink:

Just found out one guest will be coming for lunch....hope he likes wacky strudel.

Hell, we can always skip straight to dessert, if things go haywire: Sweet cheese tart with nut-cookie-crumb crust. :cool: