• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! (2003-2012)

beans

I'm home today for an audition (tis the season), so...a garlic bagel from Lenny's with Saga cheese on one half and Edel de Cleron on the other. Good thing no one else is home...I'm probably toxic from twenty feet away. :blink:

Oh, and Fresca.

I'm considering a little coffee heath bar crunch ice cream for dessert.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

beef patty, coco bread and ting.

Ting! I love Ting!

I met Monica Bhide for lunch at David Greggory. We shared the devilled egg starter and an asparagus starter with smoked salmon, serrano ham and sieved quail egg. We both had crab cakes with cabbageless slaw and new bay potato chips. Limeade to drink. Followed by coffee and plenty of good conversation. :wub:

cabbageless slaw?

today i had barbecue! from Daddy Dz. It was some ribs in their sweet, tangy, spicy sauce, and some yummy baked beans, with bread and sweet tea. just might be my best bbq in Atlanta to date.

Today I had some left-over vegetable tempura from last night and then angel hair pasta with a tomato-garlic sauce.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

A bacon cheeseburger, french fries and a diet Coke from Scotty's diner.

When slkinsey, our friend Ben and I walk in there, the waiter just looks at us and says "the usual?"

It's pretty funny.

I had sourdough buns, 2 chocolate bars (Oh Henry), a Twoonie Tuesdays meal from KFC (2 pieces of chicken, small fries) and a Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia Peace bar. I was really craving junk food today. :biggrin:

And the Ben and Jerry's ice cream was pretty expensive ($3.29 from 7-11) but I decided to try it after reading the raves on Egullet. It tasted like raspberry ice-cream to me.

Leftover Muffelletta 1/2 from Central Grocery (added Zatarains mustard, wrong I know, but delicious)

Bag of dried shrimp (can you buy these anywhere but the gulf south?)

Ice Tea (as per usual)

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

An everything bagel, toasted, with butter.

Two Reese's peanut butter cups.

Shared a bag of crunchy cheetos with slkinsey.

A diet coke.

Just a carb kind of day, I guess. :blink:

K

An everything bagel, toasted, with butter. 

Two Reese's peanut butter cups.

Shared a bag of crunchy cheetos with slkinsey. 

A diet coke.

Just a carb kind of day, I guess.  :blink:

K

Did your everything bagel include coarse salt? At my old job there was a bagel place next door and my standard lunch was a salt bagel, toasted, with butter. Sort of like a big fat Auntie Ann's pretzel. :smile:

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Oh no! babyluck, you poor thing. If I had co-workers like those, leaving kimchi in their desks would be the least of their worries. :unsure:

Today, nothing in the regular hot food section of our corporate cafeteria looked even remotely appetizing, so I settled on a salad. All green: various lettuces, including a nice handful of spinach, some broccoli rabe and roasted peppers, a sprinkle of scallions, some juicy tomato wedges, julienned carrots, a couple of hard boiled eggs and freshly ground cracked black pepper. EVOO and balsamic vinegar on the side. Poland Spring. A banana to top things off.

Salad is my default option when things go bad...

Soba

Did your everything bagel include coarse salt? At my old job there was a bagel place next door and my standard lunch was a salt bagel, toasted, with butter. Sort of like a big fat Auntie Ann's pretzel.  :smile:

Yes, yes it did. The salt, the garlic, the butter, the crunch of the toasty bits...JUST what I was craving.

Leftover cold soba noodles (is that redundant?) with soy sauce and slivered almonds.

I had run out of sesame seeds, and the almonds at least added the necessary crunch component.

Miss Tenacity

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

I'm at home most every day, so lunch is usually a study in improvisation on the previous night's leftovers. Today's lunch was:

Leftover pork chop, diced and sautéed in evoo with a small onion, sliced, a small handful of frozen corn, and one seeded and minced chipotle pepper in adobe. This was then split between two soft corn tortillas and topped with diced tomato and shredded queso blanco. (I was going to top it with some cilantro, but the bunch in the rotter drawer of my refrigerator had turned a corner.)

All in all, a quite delicious, if not authentic, taco lunch.

baked potato with hummus, grated beetroot + grated carrot, chopped coriander, squeeze of lemon juice. this from the liver-cleansing diet sheet. ho ho ho.

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

question? what exactly is the texture of prosciutto?

i had a baguette today with prosciutto, apricot preserves, sweet butter and parmesan cheese, with a roast fingerling and green bean salad in lemon vinaigrette, iced mango tea and half a smore.

but the prosciutto was not like prosciutto i've had int he past and was pretty much the texture of raw bacon, minus the flavor.

am i just hopelessly uncultured?

Had a slice of "lasagna" pizza, which seemed to be 'za with ricotta, mozzarella and ground beef, from the place across the street from where I work.

It was ok. Crust was nice & crunchy.

Oh and a diet coke.

K

Malawry delivered some decorated Halloween cookies, and stayed for a chaotic lunch in the Shorter house. We had tuna salad, with chopped onions, cornichons, celery & Duke's mayo, on toast schmeared with dijon mustard. Garnished with leaves of butter lettuce. Blackcurrant nectar cut with water.

I finished up with about six of the cookies that Malawry brought over. :biggrin:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Sautéed some chopped bacon, drained most of the fat, lowered heat, added two eggs and a splash of milk, scrambled, added a healthy chunk of Maytag blue cheese, crumbled. When eggs were set and cheese melted, served in two warm corn tortillas, taco style, with diced tomato.