• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! (2003-2012)

beans

Invited my korean teacher and my russian friend Oksana for lunch and I made Chicken Adobo for them.

Chicken Adobo

gallery_48583_3621_109471.jpg

Domestic Goddess, hi.

Is your adobo the version that's cooked in coconut cream and vinegar, without soya sauce, it seems pale? Another version I know is cooked in patis(fish sauce) and kalamansi lime(calamondin orange), with coconut cream.

Edited: I finally figured out how to post pics.

Nope, no coconut cream in my adobo, I'm Tagalog from Cavite City (which means we don't put coconut cream/milk in our adobo)... I cooked mine with soy sauce and vinegar. I guess the soy sauce didn't make it dark enough. My soy sauce-vinegar ratio is 1:3 (1 part soy sauce to 3 parts vinegar).

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Thanks Domestic Goddess. Some soya sauce brands, with smaller amounts of caramelized sugar(Burnt), do produce lighter coloured finished products. Tagalog adobo seems similar to my sisterinlaw's version, in terms of vinegar-soya sauce proportions, though she is Cebuana. She also uses a lot of garlic. I guess cocunut milk is a Bicolano style? Bicol loves their coconut and chilli peppers.

Edited by Fugu (log)

You know how sometimes you just stumble onto something that is sooooo good that it suprises you?  That happened to me today!  I toasted some roasted garlic Italian bread, rubbed with fresh garlic, spread a bit of mayo on it, sliced avacado, S&P, Olive oil, lime juice, diced jalepenio pepper, and cilantro.  OMG!  It was Just Amazing tasting!  Course,  :wink:  could be just the time of month for me?!..........But, I don't think so.

gallery_48503_4932_569384.jpg

Add fresh from the vine tiny tomatoes and o.O., how could it be wrong!?

That looks really good--no matter WHAT time of the month it is :biggrin:

Thank you Shelby, that was the last of my tiny tomatoes. :sad: Thank you also for your condolances at the loss of all my babies.

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

My son and I had dolmas, slow-cooked salmon with yuzu miso sauce, plum tomatoes, tabbouleh, a bunch of tiny Champagne grapes, baba ghanouj and Hami melon. Morning prep time: 6 minutes, using leftovers and deli food. Recipes for the salmon and yuzu miso sauce, and detailed packing info here at my blog.

gallery_8185_4873_66914.jpg

gallery_8185_4873_37559.jpg

These are gorgeous! I love packing (and eating and looking at pictures of) bento-lunches.

"Nothing you could cook will ever be as good as the $2.99 all-you-can-eat pizza buffet." - my EX (wonder why he's an ex?)

My eGfoodblog: My corner of the Midwest

Thank you Shelby, that was the last of my tiny tomatoes.  :sad:  Thank you also for your condolances at the loss of all my babies.

Hey, I'd be SO mad if that happened. I live waaaaay out in the country and have been attacked by bunnies many times--thankfully they've never completely wiped me out.

Let me say in advance, I'm a new dig camera owner/user and this pic sucks... but

Lunch was a grilled cheese :wub: but not any grilled cheese... I used 9 Grain Bread, good butter and a combo of muenster and medium sharp ched.

Served with a cherry tomato/fresh basil salad... Eaten with fingers, mixing both the sandwich and salad in mouth!

gallery_51818_4953_269920.jpg

Jamie Lee

Beauty fades, Dumb lasts forever. - Judge Judy

Let me say in advance, I'm a new dig camera owner/user and this pic sucks... but

Lunch was a grilled cheese  :wub:  but not any grilled cheese... I used 9 Grain Bread, good butter and a combo of muenster and medium sharp ched.

Served with a cherry tomato/fresh basil salad... Eaten with fingers, mixing both the sandwich and salad in mouth!

gallery_51818_4953_269920.jpg

Oh but you caught that perfect toasty finish on the bread- a real craving trigger shot, and I totally agree about mixing flavors in the mouth. Keep those pics coming.

Lunch today... more grape toms and fresh basil! Thought I might have mastered the "macro close up" mode of my new (cheap) dig camera... but no...

I call this "Chopped Caprese Salad" - I used grape toms (so, no big slices), a braided cow milked mozzarella (again, didn't lend itself to big slices) and the tail end of a bunch of basil... so "chopped" it is!

Lots of coarse black pepper, coarse sea salt and drizzle of EVOO. Wish I'd had a chunk of great artisian baguette, but not up to a run to the bakery today...

gallery_51818_4953_105763.jpg

yummmmm.

Jamie Lee

gallery_54928_4824_47804.jpg

Umm....I call it: fish taco salad! Leftover reheated tilapia, a roma tomato, the middle of a rather aged bunch of celery, cilantro, lime juice, salt, pepper and chili powder. Fresh and tasty. Hit the spot in a big way.

Kate

• 3 weeks later...

gallery_28691_4819_1314157.jpg

Succotash: fresh lima beans, Mirai corn, orange strawberry tomatoes, a little milk and a little salt.

This is my first time using Mirai corn, and it's almost TOO sweet for something like this -- this was practically a dessert succotash.

Ktepi, I have never tried succotash, what is the taste supposed to be? I will have to look it up and make is "just because" now. (I do that a lot lately, I think it is an e-gullet addiction thing)

I have noticed, IMO, that Mediteranians seem to have written the book on summer dining, so refreshing and delish.

Bruschetta, with vine-ripened tomato, prosciutto, fresh mozzarella, and basil. Yummm!

gallery_48503_4932_181137.jpg

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

Ktepi, I have never tried succotash, what is the taste supposed to be?  I will have to look it up and make is "just because" now.  (I do that a lot lately, I think it is an e-gullet addiction thing)

Well, usually I'd expect it to be a little less sweet than this was, but I associate it with summer-fresh vegetables, so it's always sweet in that sense. For me, succotash is always corn sauteed with cooked (but fresh!) lima beans -- anything goes as long as those two things are in place, and I might add onion or pepper, especially if I have some left from something else.

It's one of those dishes that's simple and just relies on the quality and freshness of the ingredients -- between this and okra & tomatoes, I could practically be a vegetarian this summer.

(And yeah, I do that too -- I've made curried scrambled eggs a lot thanks to the breakfast thread!)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all --

Lunch was so pretty today I had to post... My garden has been yielding huge numbersof tomatoes, some of the best of which are the Kelloggs Breakfast orange tomatoes... Lunch was a luscious tomato salad, with the creamiest feta cheese (those of you who can get the Israeli feta from Wegmans will understand!), my favorite olive oil, salt, pepper, and a well buttered english muffin! Perfect!

gallery_51217_4287_8802.jpg

Emily

Emily, just lovely!

Feeling a little peekid today, so I made french onion soup. Yum! Allways seems to just hit the spot.

gallery_48503_4932_168581.jpg

Edited by nonblonde007 (log)

Brenda

Emily - Your fresh tomato/feta salad is TO DIE FOR! I'm so jealous (not a square inch of soil to grow toms in...)

Nonblonde - I so love french onion soup - yours looks lovely. I especially like how several onions are trying to escape their beefy bath! :laugh:

Jamie Lee

wow that salad looks amazing.

todays lunch was a sandwich thrown together from stuff lying around: oven roasted tomatoes from our garden :wub:, pepper jack cheese, fresh nasturtiums and a little mayo on brioche. It was really good! Husband had one taste & stole half my sandwich :laugh:

The bite from the "nasturtiums is totally different from that of the peppers in the jack, but both were nicely offset by the sweetness of the tomatoes & of course the dairy goodness of cheese & mayo...

I may experiment with the cheese a bit, but I'll be making this again next time I have spare nasturtium blossoms.

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

wow that salad looks amazing. 

todays lunch was a sandwich thrown together from stuff lying around:  oven roasted tomatoes from our garden :wub:, pepper jack cheese, fresh nasturtiums and a little mayo on brioche. It was really good! Husband had one taste & stole half my sandwich  :laugh: 

The bite from the "nasturtiums is totally different from that of the peppers in the jack, but both were nicely offset by the sweetness of the tomatoes & of course the dairy goodness of cheese & mayo...

I may experiment with the cheese a bit, but I'll be making this again next time I have spare nasturtium blossoms.

lunch today at my desk was a chicken salad sandwich on sourdough with onion, tomato, and banana peppers. fries and cole slaw...............really hit the spot :wink:

Edited by tastykimmie (log)

"look real nice...............wrapped up twice"

Wild rice, barley and millet pilaf - with roast carrots, mushrooms, pumpkin, blanched zucchini, walnuts, orange zest and lemon juice.

However, I wisely averted the boyfriend's inevitable protest of "I'm not eating this! It's rabbit food!" by showering the whole lot with crispy, crispy bacon just before serving.

Went to St. Jacobs ( Ontario ) on the weekend. There is a tremendous market there. I bought a tub of "Polish Stew" for my lunch today ( and probably tomorrow too ). I will have to save some to try to determine what all is in it. There is sauerkraut, cabbage, bacon, sausage, ham, onions and some seasonings that I can't quite place yet. My goodness it sure is tasty. No need to post a picture as it is not pretty but the flavour sure makes up for the presentation!!

If you ever get a chance to hit St. Jacobs at harvest time it is a wonderful experience. I got enough basil to make at least a years worth of pesto for four bucks. In my small apartment I don't have space to take advantage of all the great deals on large quantities of tomatoes, peppers or apples. There may be a thread on this market on eGullet somewhere. If not someone with some good camera skills could make a great photo blog of a trip there.