• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! (2003-2012)

beans

Today's lunch was much less exciting than yesterday's. It was supposed to be a reuben, but I forgot to buy kraut at the grocery store because I had both kids with me and they were NOT on their best behavior. :angry: So, it was grilled corned beef and swiss, an apple, and diet A&W.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I caught an early (noon) matinee performance of Two Noble Kinsmen, so afterward, while running my errands I was famished. I bought a macoun at the Union Square greenmarket and then a pretzel croissant at The City Bakery. Not what you would call a balanced meal. :laugh:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Taking advantage of my current spate of funemployment, after heading down to the county courthouse to sit on an arbitration panel that didn't actually arbitrate anything (plaintiffs failed to show, but I still get my arbitrator's fee (yee hah!)), I stopped by my favorite fish market and picked up a bounty of seafood... lunch was an experiment in what can be done with baby octopi. Marinated them in olive oil, lemon juice, herbs de provence and garlic, and threw them on the grill... took grilled beasties and threw them on some bagged salad leaves and called them lunch.

Need to work on my octopus cookery skills, I think... the tentacles were done just fine, but the bodies left something to be desired...

Any suggestions?

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

I'm on a diet so I had whole wheat tube pasta with roasted garlic marinara and diced up green onions. It was actually pretty good. Oh yeah, and 3 Nonni's biscotti and Earl Grey tea. That probably wiped out the calorie savings.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

I'm so envious after reading this thread.

I ate 3 cold hardboiled eggs and some deli meat (packed in a tupperware container) on a jam-packed bus on my way to school. (Slept in and missed my first class).

yea i know.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Took a cooking class from Rosemary Barron on Greek Meze - a bit of this and a bite of that but the dates stuffed with goat cheese and herbs was a huge hit, and the best semolina cheese pies, warm from the oven with thyme honey and lemon syrup.

Factoid I learned today - the Greeks do not serve the olivada with bread/ toasts etc - just a small dollop on the plate to season the other foods- it was delicious on the dolmas. To tell the truth I like it that way much better .

I ate 3 cold hardboiled eggs and some deli meat (packed in a tupperware container) on a jam-packed bus on my way to school. (Slept in and missed my first class).

yea i know.

You're envious too?

Or were you the funny little man sitting beside me on the bus who kept looking at my lunch? :hmmm:

yea i know.

You're envious too?

Or were you the funny little man sitting beside me on the bus who kept looking at my lunch? :hmmm:

see how envious i am?

i'm even envious of those 3 eggs and deli meats.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I started eating my lunch over an hour ago (10:30AM!). Almost two cups of steamed jasmine rice, chicken stirfry with red peppers, sichuan peppercorn truffle, hot lipton tea. I'm extraordinarily hungry today.

I had the leftover pad thai for breakfast (Dinner! last night) with some iced coffee sweetened with coconut syrup, so I wasn't that hungry by lunchtime. I seared off the rest of the pak choy with soy sauce, ginger, sherry, sesame oil and chili oil and a dash of sugar and ate that as a light lunch. I'm currently cooking a big pot of applesauce and making some Joy of Cooking sugar cookies. I was noting how the applesauce sweetness level seems to vary when I check it, it's a lot less sweet after eating some cookie dough yet tasted very sweet when I checked it after eating the pak choy.

Mmmmmmm. It doesn't get any better than this: I ran home, made myself a PB&J with Malawry's sour cherry jam, grabbed a bag of chips, and came right back to the office. Thank god for the jam, as otherwise, it would have really been a sucky lunch. Oh, I had a Moon Pie left over from the pig pickin'.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

yea i know.

You're envious too?

see how envious i am?

i'm even envious of those 3 eggs and deli meats.

stop making fun of me :raz:

Today I'm having a can of chilli. :laugh:

Edited by Ling (log)

Went to Spade's Noodles & More on 37th and 3rd and had shredded beef with string beans in spicy garlic sauce. YUM. With diet coke. At $5.25, it's a hell of a deal, and the service was actually both polite and quick today (we've taken to calling it the place that serves "rude Chinese").

Picked up a Halloween-themed black & white cookie (which is to say a black and orange cookie) at Zaro's on the way back. It's a little dry, but the frosting is good.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

Half a culatello sandwich with peppers, onions, and various sauces from Salumi, last night's Food Network star. Also had some leftover roasted cauliflower at home. I'll have the other half of the sandwich later today, since the last time I ate the whole sandwich in a sitting I wanted to die. :wub::blink: Also tasted the much-talked-about lamb prosciutto, which was indeed heavenly--but I worried that an entire sandwich of it would make me feel like I'd been going at a salt lick.

Edited by cheeseandchocolate (log)

She blogs: Orangette

I've been without my stove for over 48 hours (gas leak, needed a valve replaced) so as soon as the repair man left I made myself a cup of tea and some god awful chili-in-a-cup. It was great finally being able to have something hot. For dessert was a sliver of flourless chocolate cake.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

For lunch, a French Burger from Carla's Drive-in, a local drive-thru burger joint. No indoor seating, just picnic tables outside.

The French Burger is two small grilled hamburger patties side by side on a french roll (hence the name) topped with the usual lettuce, onion and tomato along with cheddar cheese and bacon. The "sauce" for a French Burger is usually 1000 Island salad dressing but I think Carla's just uses mayo on theirs.

It came with a large side of fries which were not the pitiful, flat-sided, thin fries that all the fast food joints foist upon the public but, instead, were crinkle cut fries, comparatively thick, hot and lightly dressed with seasoned salt.

And the drink with this combination was a large vanilla Pepsi. Note this was not the Vanilla Pepsi by Pepsi, but a soda fountain Pepsi with vanilla syrup added in (20 cents extra, which I gladly paid).

Sometimes a Mom & Pop place hits the spot in a way the fast food joints never will.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

after i got to work - 2 cups of tea with sugar and a coffee with milk and sugar to thaw out then some split pea soup and 2 openfaced tomato and swiss sandwiches on whole wheat toast....

course breakfast was macaroni and cheese with healthy choice hot dog pieces but that's another thread :wink:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I'm supposed to be on a diet too, but I blew it off today.

Met friends for lunch at Delta Grill on 46th and 9th. Had share of fried okra, red beans and rice - with andouilie sausage and a chicken breast, and two beers. My friend gave me half his muffeletta which he couldn't finish to take home.

Since I was so close, I went to 46th and 11th and got a pulled pork sandwich, Kansas City ribs, and a large side of beans from Daisy May's.

Now we have lunches and dinners for 2 more days. :wub:

So much for blood sugar control this week.

I should be recovered for Burger Club on Saturday :biggrin:

--mark

Everybody has Problems, but Chemists have Solutions.

With diet coke.  At $5.25, it's a hell of a deal, and the service was actually both polite and quick today (we've taken to calling it the place that serves "rude Chinese").

:laugh: Chinese was yesterday's lunch too. Steamed veggies with this awesome garlic brown sauce and brown rice. I giggle because this is the take out with the happy, grandmotherly lady with the eternal smile at the counter. I've never seen her frown in the four years of popping in for take out. My friends and I often refer to it as 'up for some happy Chinese today?'

Yesterday:

Tried out a new pizza place with the girls: Ralph-O's. Had to intervene when they whined "let's just go to brick oven..." -- I am so sick of that place.

Proprietor is eager ("hey girls, where do you work? really? so you're on your lunch hour then? we make our own bread here fresh every day. we do party platters...") H asks him if he's Ralph. No, he bought it from Ralph. He is Frank but lets people call him Ralph. He lacks the gruff nonchalance of your usual pizzeria owner. Nice, but a little too much.

We order a large pie (half sausage, half plain) and get a free order of baked ziti along with fresh bread. Everything is undercooked and the ziti is a little soapy. Probably he's worried we'll get impatient and pulls it out of the oven early, but the pies he has out under glass look the same. They are covered with plastic wrap. First time I've seen that. Guess it's more hygenic but it makes me wonder how much business he does.

Stay tuned to find out if babyluck eats the leftover soapy ziti for lunch today or gets Korean...

Edited by babyluck (log)

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA