• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! (2003-2012)

beans

SB: Im very much with you! what are you times and temps on the CkBs? I get these all the time at $ 1.77 LBS. I trim the 'tender' tendon (tease it out ... fundamental) and make Thai/Indian? etc packs out of this

did you find the CkBs' 'dry' ie no fat? what I see above might enjoy an Avocado Slice

cheers!

what are you times and temps on the CkBs?

I do 142 for 3 hours, then leave out at room temp to cool for 20 minutes before shocking. I cook in a little olive oil and 3 smashed garlic cloves per 5 beasts. It's amazing how much garlic flavor/aroma you get.

I heat up everything but the chicken in a skillet then add a shredded breast at the end and turn the heat off. Such juicy chicken, you will love! Making a cesar one tonight with my silken tofu dressing. 1/2 the calories and fat of regular cesar with all the creaminess and flavor.

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog

I heat up everything but the chicken in a skillet then add a shredded breast at the end and turn the heat off. Such juicy chicken, you will love! Making a cesar one tonight with my silken tofu dressing. 1/2 the calories and fat of regular cesar with all the creaminess and flavor.

Care to share your silken tofu dressing recipe for those of us that are intrigued....

Edited by Pilori (log)

Adjust the pepper/garlic to taste

1 crushed garlic clove

1 Lemon juiced

8 ounces silken tofu

1/3C red wine vinegar

2oz grated Parmesan

2oz Pecorino Romano

1/4C good olive oil

2t ground black pepper

2 anchovies

Salt/lemon juice to taste

Throw all that crap in a blender and whiz.

2T serving

64 calories and 6 grams of fat

Edited by ScottyBoy (log)

My eGullet Foodblog

Also when I store the chicken, the juices are in the tub as well. So after sauteing the stuff that will go in I hit it with a bit of that juice and then throw the chicken in/turn heat off. All about keeping the filling juicy but not running all over the place.

My eGullet Foodblog

Really more like brunch. I started out wanting some bacon for breakfast and thought I might have some fried eggs with it. But then I remembered I had some tomatoes that would make a great sandwich with the bacon. Then I remembered I had some avocados, so considered a bacon, avocado and tomato sandwich. But, that sounded a bit heavier than I wanted, so I ended up with this Salad:

BLAT-02.jpg

Applewood Smoked Bacon, Avocado, Tomato, Romaine, Chopped Egg and Dried Cranberries

BLAT-03.jpg

lightly dressed with Honey Mustard Dressing and freshly ground Black Pepper.

Edited by robirdstx (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, my! Everything looks so delicious that I had to get a bite before I sat down and read it all. Unfortunately, all I had was a half of a leftover brie, turkey and cranberry relish croissant from lunch out the other day, but it will have to suffice.

For lunch yesterday we went to the Festival of India. Indian food is one that I am very ignorant of. I’ve never cared for any curry that I’ve ever tasted and I wasn’t crazy about butter chicken the one time I made it, but I really want to learn more about it, so I was happy to go. We tried a sampling of things and I was happy to find that there were things that I liked quite a lot. Unfortunately, the thing that I liked the most – Kachori – was too spicy for me.

Butter chicken:

med_gallery_3331_122_163142.jpg

Mr. Kim and Jessica loved it – I still didn’t much care for it.

Samosas:

med_gallery_3331_122_43310.jpg

Liked the flavor a lot, but they were too spicy for me.

Kachori:

med_gallery_3331_122_8672.jpg

This was delicious – I wish I could have eaten it, but it was too spicy. This was the favorite thing at the table.

Jalebi:

med_gallery_3331_122_25461.jpg

Fabulous – like sticky small funnel cakes!

Other assorted sweets:

med_gallery_3331_122_48105.jpg

Our choices:

med_gallery_3331_122_68013.jpg

Gulab Jamun

med_gallery_3331_122_32059.jpg

The one on the left is laddu – I didn’t much care for this. I didn’t get the name of the one in the middle (maybe Nariyal Burfi?), but it was very moist and creamy and SWEET with coconut and (probably) sweetened condensed milk – it was good, but took a while to eat since it was so very sweet. The one on the right was maybe basin laddu or doodh poda? I really, really hated it. It had almost the texture of halva (one of my favorites) but some flavor in it was very unpleasant to me.

I’m glad we went. I was hungry when we left, but there were some things that I liked and I want to learn more. I’m not sure that I’d ever choose an Indian restaurant on my own, but it’s nice to know that I could go and manage to eat something!

• 1 month later...

Eating an improvised lunch right now and it is so good I had to report... I pan fried some homemade pancetta, then browned some shredded brussels sprouts in the pancetta fat... Added lemon juice, and some cooked red rice, pan fried a little more, and then topped with shredded romano cheese. It is killer good!