• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! (2003-2012)

beans

Actually, I had a hair appointment for lunch today, fortunately I had had a nice cranberry muffin for breakfast.

My colorist has gone to Paul Labrecque...I was sitting between some soap opera star (no idea who) and a journalist who is working on a big "dangers of botox" story. :blink:

Fortunately this color tends to last several months. Labrecque = not cheap.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

Bought some really good bread at the greenmarket this morning. So I had tuna packed in oil on a roll (the roll is square and has tomatoes baked into the top) smothered with basil mayonaise. Mint ice tea to drink.

Yummy. :smile:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I had a slice of pepperoni and mushroom pizza and then slkinsey shared 1/2 of his spinach, broccoli and ricotta slice with me.

...and a diet coke.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

Oh no! babyluck, you poor thing.  If I had co-workers like those, leaving kimchi in their desks would be the least of their worries. :unsure:

Thanks for the support. But here's the secret that keeps me from going completely postal: they'll be in my novels someday. Heh-heh-heh.

I've been neglecting this thread -- wanted to be diligent for my own records if nothing else, so here's what I missed:

Last Thursday: Ack! Had visitors in from France. H makes the mistake of going into the meeting & asking what they're doing for lunch & gets slapped with the job of arranging it. Boss wants to go to Santa Lucia. H tells her it's not there anymore (a shame; I loved that place) and she thinks there's a Chinese pizza place there instead but doesn't know if it's open yet. Boss says, inexplicably, "Well, that would be fun!!" and says if it doesn't work out to order sandwiches because she absolutely doesn't want to go further and Steve's Lunch is on the outs since G claims he got sick from the bbq wrap -- all 3 times he ordered it! Anyway, H can't get a phone number for the new Santa Lucia's anywhere. Thinks it's called "Mr. Pang's Pizza." An hour goes by. H is pleading for someone to take the responsibility away from her. Calls Frank aka Ralpho and tells him we're not ordering from him but if he knows what the pizza place is that used to be Santa Lucia. Not surprisingly, he doesn't help. E offers to drive down and check it out, but is upset when we take her up on the offer. Calls from her cell to tell us it's called "Ping Pong Pizza" and opens at 4. Wonder if it is a night club featuring ping pong and pizza. We are all low on blood sugar and getting zany. I tell H to call Ralpho back & order the sandwich platter. Tells us to give him a good 20 minutes. We do, and when we arrive he wants 4 more minutes. Ask him if he takes credit cards (d'oh! pizza places never do) and he says no. No problem, there's an ATM next door at the minimart. Next door at the minimart: "do you have an ATM?" "No, bank is one block that way." One block turns into 5 and a good 12 minutes later we're back at Ralpho's. He dillydallies over plates, forks, etc., and my cell rings. It's my little boss G, or my N+1. "Where are you?" Grit teeth and say, "at Ralpho's picking up the food." "Awwww," he says, petulant, "but we wanted to take everyone out to eat!" I look at poor Ralpho -- sorry, Frank -- dithering over how to cut our bread and think "there's no way you're getting me to cancel this order." I talk him down until he's convinced that a sandwich platter from Ralpho's would be just the thing. We get back to the office around 2. The French are impressed with Frank's homemade bread -- score! -- and the mesclun salad is pretty great. I have 2 roast beef-and-provolone sandwiches with salad on top and some Coke.

Friday: I slice plain & 1 slice sausage pizza at the office Halloween party. Coke.

Yesterday: Sausage & peppers & baked ziti from Theo's & a Cherry Coke. Pretty good.

Today: Leftovers from yesterday plus 2 slices of E's bread from Villagio's & a can of Coke. I have to admit their bread is better than Ralpho's. E didn't want to give me any because she was annoyed I was using the microwave since she thought she was the only one who had to heat up food.

P.S. The latest word is that it's called "Ping Pang Pizza" and no one knows whether it's Chinese or if it has anything to do with Ping Pong or why it doesn't open until 4 PM.

I've been eating way too much Italian lately. Tomorrow I'll have to go down to the cafeteria (Puerto Rican food). I've been neglecting it. Got to work on my bean tolerance.

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA

I did as I promised & went downstairs for lunch today. Roast chicken (leg+thigh), plain white rice and corn. They were out of the beans & yucca to go on top of the rice. Have to go earlier next time. Oh, and a Coke. A grain of rice went up my nose. Happens to me a lot. Had dinner with an ENT nurse once who told me it's because of all the Coke I drink with my meals--the fizz tricks the uvula into opening up the nasal passages.

I'm happy to report that it slid down my throat a little while later--rather disconcertingly--and did not remain lodged up there for days as they sometimes do.

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA

This was not my lunch but was so disgusting (and smelt feral) I had to post. My receptionist had for lunch two "lasagne" meat pies. Bearing in mind this is Australia and the pie is sacrosanct - even I had to balk at a pastry filling that was filled with [really ordinary] lasagne, then covered with the usual beef pie filling (beef and gravy). Smelt disgusting, and when she bit into it all that fatty, bright red oil from oddly cocked lasagned spurted all the way down the from of her white silk shirt.

Guess they were worth the $1.20 (australian) each .............not :smile:

I am in the midst of scarfing down a schwarma that I bought over on 47th St. Mmmmm, it is good. With techina (which is too watery, but what the hell) and sides of fried eggplant, minted carrots and red onions. Oh, it is good. Love those red onions. :rolleyes: Keeps my co-workers away.

A meatloaf sandwich on floppy rye bread with thinly sliced onion and a kiss of ketchup.

It was good, but I like a tougher rye. Maybe some of that gum bleeding rye bread :wub::wub:

A diet Stewart's root beer and a small bag of cottage fry potato chips. Yummy! :biggrin:

Iris

GROWWWWWLLLLL!!

Poached chicken and cheddar sammich on sourdough, one side mayo, one side Sierra Nevada mustard. I'm making chicken soup, and I'll have a bowl of that later, because were going to a wine tasting and THEN dinner tonight, and i don't want to go on an empty stomach. My son is home from school, he had bacon and grilled cheese, and I was thinking about the Perlow's teflon bag thingy, casue my small non stick was in the dishwasher.

Went to a new French bistro, very close to my house. My lunch partner had a lovely ham and brie savoury crepe. It was better while it was still hot. I had a very strong boned, sourdough baguette sliced and filled with brie, chopped walnuts and seedless red grapes. We both had 2 cups of full bodied French roasted black coffee. All in all delicious.

:wub:

I must return sometime soon for the prix fixe weekend dinners, brunch on Sunday morns and many more lazy afternoon lunches.

Leftover rare strip steak, sliced thinly across the grain and heated up just a little bit in the microwave, sandwiched between two lightly toasted slices of Zingerman's farm bread. Sprinkled with a little salt and pepper. Transcendent - definitely more than the sum of its parts.

Yum.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

A bowl of creamed spinach, made according to Paula Wolfert's technique as described in this thread. (Not the butter spinach method, the creamed spinach method.) Pretty good, and I've almost gone through the big bag of spinach I bought at Costco last week because of it. :blink:

I've been sick for the past week and haven't done much cooking apart from making a HUGE pot of minestrone this weekend to tide me over until things get better.

It's been lots of liquids, water, orange juice, grapefruit juice and more water along with the requisite Theraflu and Dimeatapp and lots and lots of sleep for the past nine days. This weekend, for instance, I slept all of Saturday and went to bed around 8 pm Sunday. Thankfully the light is at the end of the tunnel. Being medicated (as I type this from work) has its benefits, not the least of which is NOT noticing how blah the food is from our cafeteria of horrors.

Today was broiled lemon sole (which for some ungodly reason was bathed with creamed spinach on top), orzo and steamed zucchini/yellow squash. Washed down with OJ and water. Took a cup of non-drowsy Theraflu about half an hour ago.

I am so ready to jet, it's not funny.

:sad:

Soba

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)