• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! (2003-2012)

beans

I remember some absolutely wonderfully prepared cafeteria food (!) from when I did the corporate law thing at Eaton. The WHQ had an incredible cafeteria and a separate, top floor sit down restaurant (jacket required, which was something for a company that was one of Cleveland's first to go "Eddie Bauer" casual dress, everyday). Same was true of legal giant (debatable) Jones, Day's in-house diningroom.

I also remember some fabulous 3 cocktail lunches too... or my favourite bakery/deli's Tomato Florentine Soup with a half sangie of herbed cheese, lettuce and tomato on an oven fresh multi-grain roll. Sometimes lunch was the most looked forward to meal of the day!

When I worked for our fair city's municipal law department, lunch time was legendary. I became friends with the chief of the photography department and we would often dash off to Chinatown for dim sum or Villa y Zapata for Mexican or Minh Ahn for Vietnamese. Other times we'd have lunch in the comforts of the photo lab sharing homemade goodies. I'll never forget when we walked in on a somewhat embarassed coworker already knee deep in the process of lunching. He had covered his enlarger with clean photolab towels, lit a candle, opened a hearty local microbrew to accompany a hunk of hard salami and crusty bread (I forgot his veggie of choice, which might have been kolrabi!).

Fun times, good memories and wonderful food. :wub:

Early yesterday afternoon, my neighbour came over and we made pita bread together, from scratch. Yes, the first few didn't puff. :hmmm: But enough did to have a delicious lunch with left over roasted chicken breast. I made it into a salad of homemade mayo, cranberry raisins, a dash of left over dry white wine, toasted walnut pieces, a pinch of garlic powder, sea salt, pepper and dried rosemary from my garden.

This was really lovely stuff.

In the similar spirit to the Dinner thread, what's up for lunch? :wink:

edit: spelling!

Edited by beans (log)

hmmm..not sure yet - right now i'm on a culinary lunch tour of downtown Atlanta, with one splurge a week. So far I've had some fabulous jerk chicken (best i've ever had, i'd say) and some mediocre pad thai.

i'm not sure what's on today's menu - i'm waiting to get hungry.

now i can really play...

bacon lettuce and fried green tomato on whole wheat toast with pimento cheese spread and pepper-pear relish, and a tomato cucumber salad on the side.

and coffe and donuts ice cream for dessert. :wub:

Edited by tryska (log)

I finished up a loaf of Pugliese and had a Rhode Island Greenling apple.

Pathetic, I know. But RI Greenling is my new favorite apple variety. It's really tart. And has a nice crunch. Granny Smith has nothing on this one.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Just making lunch now. My dad brought over a Honeybaked ham last night ("It's on my way home - can I bring you one?" Who would say no to that?), so ham on a slice of sesame Ezekiel bread, topped with some sharp cheddar, toasted. A braebrun apple to go along with it, plus some celery sticks.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Just polished off a bag of Dolly Madison Powder Puff donuts the baby sitter left at our house. She brings her own junk food because we usually don't have anything good (We are eating only locally grown food for a year as part of a book project). And now I have to figure out how to explain this to her. And how to cover my sin in the book.

But enough did to have a delicious lunch with left over roasted chicken breast.  I made it into a salad of homemade mayo, cranberry raisins, a dash of left over dry white wine, toasted walnut pieces, a pinch of garlic powder, sea salt, pepper and dried rosemary from my garden.

Beans: That chicken salad sounds really, really good...

Bertucci's for me today. Met my friend there and we each had a cup of sausage/rice soup and split a medium Margherita. I'm stuffed. There wasn't very much mozzarella on the pizza, so I'm trying not to feel too guilty.

Usually lunch is here at my office building (AKA "The Bunker") downstairs at the cafeteria (AKA "The Trough"). My bosses buy my lunch at The Trough. Usually one of them runs out to the local grocery store and gets soup for everyone (there's only 4 of us) and then we round it out down at The Trough.

I love my job.

:wub:

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Ever since I introduced them to it, my coworkers have been anxious for another trip to Chipotle, so we made the 12 block hike -- what a great excuse to go out and enjoy the lovely weather.

I had the carnitas burrito with black beans, cheese, tomatillo-red chili and roasted chili-corn salsas. It was yummy. Brought it all back to the office and dined in one of the meeting rooms. I'm about ready to hit the Coke machine for a quick sugar fix. :wacko:

Speaking of corporate cafeterias, I used to work at the Marriott HQ in Bethesda, MD and they had an enormous cafeteria which was always open for breakfast and lunch. Nearly every employee ate there. Surprisingly, the food wasn't that good (you'd think one of the world's largest food service companies would get it right, but no...) and they charged an arm and a leg for the food (easy to blindly spend the money though, as you just swiped your ID card and the money was deducted from your paycheck). Sadly, there weren't many other options nearby unless you felt like getting in a car and driving to some chain-type place or walking over to the food court at the mall down the road.

Sherri A. Jackson

salad of wild rice, Puy lentils, celery, green onion, roasted peppers + tomatoes, walnut oil dressing, then a piece of leftover apple frangipane with vanilla creme fraiche.

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

Thanks Basilgirl! It was a great way to use up the last of the roast chicken!

Today: remaining homemade pita and some baba ghannouj, ice tea and a slice of the cinnamon crumb cake I made yesterday. Yup, I'm a carbo loader today.

store brand peanut butter (because i was being cheap that day, it was a mistake, its too salty) and grape jelly my mom made on martin's potato bread. and two pieces of processed american cheese on the side.

sure it isn't healthy, but why deny oneslf?

I had smoked turkey, brie, honey mustard and crunchy (but unfortunately almost tasteless) apple slices on a baguette, with a diet A&W and some potato chips. Sam had a meatball sandwich, a diet Dr. Pepper and chips, both meals were from the Exit deli nearby. Fortunately, a friend talked me out of buying an almost unbearably adorable Halloween cupcake from Zaro's by reminding me that the one we ate last year really, really sucked (it was the nasty frosting, as I recall. How do you fuck up frosting? :blink: )

Sherri--we should go to Chipotle together sometime.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

Coworker H's uneaten lunch from yesterday (her description): "FRESH turkey and some nice provolone cheese on a FRESH whole wheat baguette -- I got it from FRESH DIRECT!" It was all fresh two days ago, but still pretty good after I scraped off the congealed mayo and toasted the bun and cheese in the new exciting addition to our break room: The Magnificent Toaster Oven. A few Ridges sour-cream-and-onion chips -- too much flavor dust. Can of Coke. A few spoonfuls of my carrot-ginger soup circa at least a week ago that I found in the fridge. Passed on the FRESH strawberries -- everyone who tasted one grimaced -- and mini Oreos.

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA