• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! (2003-2012)

beans

• 2 weeks later...

I've been eating hot dogs this week. I read recently about the King's Hawaiian split top style buns and I prefer that style but can't get them around here so when I spotted these at my local market I picked up a package and have been trying to use them up. Yesterday I pulled a couple of Sabrett's wieners out of the freezer, steamed them and the buns, added some store-bought sauerkraut and Lowensenf's Medium Dusseldorf mustard, another recent acquisition I love and have been using in everything that needs mustard.

The sweetness of the buns didn't go with the Sabrett's as well as it did with some hot links the day before and I definitely prefer toasting these buns to steaming them but - live and learn. Also had some Chobani and a black plum.

summer rolls.jpg

A very unlikely and inauthentic summer roll - canned salmon, seasoning, scallions, spring mix and some grape tomatoes.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

chicken karaage on seasoned rice.jpg

Chicken karaage on seasoned rice.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

We had "Darienne's World Famous in Cavan Fruit Pancakes" with yogurt. Never thought to photograph them. We eat our main meal at lunch always...except when we are having company at dinner time.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Sesame noodles.jpg

A very free interpretation of sesame noodles with asparagus and green onion omelet.

My 2004 eG Blog

Last night I made a simple beef and lamb stew and served it over mashed potatoes. I deliberately made extra mash and today combined the potatoes with grated zucchini and chopped scallion, added a beaten egg and formed small patties which I fried until golden and heated through. A little leftover stew and I had a hearty lunch:

stew and potato cakes.jpg

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna N, beef looks very nice even it is simple, this tomato gives nice aroma and decoration in same time.

Thank you.

Today something I have been meaning to try for ages:

chawanmushi.jpg

Chawanmushi - savoury egg custard Japanese-style.

My 2004 eG Blog

And how was it?

Quite pleasant and comforting. Definitely something to consider along with chicken soup for those days when food loses its allure. A liitle too like invalid food to make a regular appearance.

My 2004 eG Blog

And how was it?

Quite pleasant and comforting. Definitely something to consider along with chicken soup for those days when food loses its allure. A liitle too like invalid food to make a regular appearance.

Fair enough. I've been looking to try it for a while, too, and I can see how that might be the case.

• 3 weeks later...

The latest in a recent series of killer BLTs. Homemade bread, pulled out of the oven 45 minutes before toasting, thick cut bacon, perfectly ripe, home grown Brandywine tomatoes, iceberg lettuce (sorry, I like it for this sandwich), and a schmear of mayonnaise. I would have enjoyed a cigarette afterwards, but I don't smoke.

the perfect blt 8-24-12 (small).jpg

• 3 weeks later...

When I'm trying to get back on track health wise I sous vide a bunch of chicken breasts, shred into a tub and make wraps for lunch.

Chicken, cabage, farro and just a tablespoon of texas thunder bbq sauce is enough for the flavor.

523220_10151420134769908_423348049_n.jpg

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog