• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! (2003-2012)

beans

gallery_16643_1028_14335.jpg

Mussels in a curry/mayo sauce, with a touch of cumin and chipotle powder, wrapped in basil

gallery_16643_1028_22287.jpg

Man, Johnny that looks to die for!

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Thanks, though it ended up looking lots cooler than I planned:

I placed the mussel mixture in a small bowl lined with large basil leaves, which I managed by some sort of comical contortion to drop straight down on this plate. A tuck here and a tuck there, a little plastic wrap, and we have a presentation I never imagined at first, but will continue to experiment with from now on.

Edited by johnnyd (log)

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Tupac - gorgeous souffle! I love Idiazabal cheese and think it must make a wonderful souffle!

Made this for a potluck lunch that we had at work on Monday:

gallery_34972_3580_44744.jpg

It's Marlene's red pepper jelly cheesecake. Always one of the most popular things I make. It always disappears before anything else.

Kim, that looks amazing.  What type of cheese is that?

It's cream cheese and monterey jack. Very versatile as you can use any kind of jelly you like. We've done it with a apricot/jalepeno jelly and Marlene has had good results with garlic/wine jelly.

Here's the recipe on my webpage.

We celebrated Mr. Kim's birthday yesterday with friends and family. It ended up being a sort of late lunch. I served cheese and crackers:

gallery_34972_6177_239669.jpg

stilton w/ mango, 3 year cheddar, aged goat w/ rosemary and Brie

and fruit

gallery_34972_6177_13031.jpg

I also served Crunchy Milk-Chocolate and Peanut Butter Cake and banana pudding, posted HERE.

gallery_61092_6180_14923.jpg

I've been really into cooking simple Japanese dishes since i got my hands on this wonderful cookbook with photos detailing the different steps. I made oyako don (chicken and eggs on rice) for lunch today. It was so tasty and so easy to put together!

Now i've got to get over my aversion for deep frying and try that deep fried Japanese chicken- with sake and ginger juice in it, it has got to be good! :biggrin:

One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating. ~Luciano Pavarotti and William Wright, Pavarotti, My Own Story

• 1 month later...

Made some brocolli rabe and kale last night.. Steamed with some garlic, vinegar, red pepper.. Used this wonderful freshly made Portuegese Cheese that I bought for 1.49 a button.. Lightly toasted these wonderful, wonderful Portuegese Rolls.. They are so light and airy with a crisp outside, they are amazing..

2910159380_3235c834b3.jpg

Cheese was wonderul.. At the office, so I microwaved the greens. Added this crush red pepper we made from dried peppers from this ladies garden.. Mixture of habeneros and such.

2910193880_14edb3e7d4.jpg

Added hot sauce to one side, added sichuan chili oil to the other..

2910157300_2c39caa21e.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Good Lord! One year later and I'm the only person to post on this thread!

This snowy day just seemed to call for this for lunch:

med_gallery_3331_141_14116.jpg

Brunswick stew (not homemade, but a local brand that is really good) and grilled cheese. Mr. Kim’s has American, Swiss, Dijon and pepper relish.

• 6 months later...

sunday it was lobster roll all around.

friday found some pre-steamed lobster claws so picked up two packages. picked the meat and tossed gently with some finely minced shallot, homemade mayo i made using some tarragon vinegar i have and a fine sprinkling of minced tarragon, flat leaf parsley and chives. pop into a butter toasted new england hot dog roll and serve with a side of tomatoes. now that is summer on a plate.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 1 month later...

I usually don't hang anywhere outside the pastry & baking board, but I'm particularly happy with today's lunch (even though, as usual, I am eating in my office). It's day 2 of no refined carbs: tuna salad with loads of lovely veggies for dipping/spreading. Given how much I enjoyed my morning snack of teeny sweet peppers stuffed with veggie cream cheese, I think this low carb thing might just be manageable!

IMG_03791.JPG

I really should invest in some paper plates.

Patty

yesterday i was craving - CRAVING - the curry puffs at a local thai restaurant so after the gym and a power food shop i picked some up along with some spicy mushroom soup.

today my brunch was one of my favorite things: 2 eggs scrambled dry, corned beef hash and home fries. had some homemade corned beef in the freezer, some local potatoes that had been baked and stopped to pick up 2 dozen local eggs.

john's lunch today was the fredonia version of beef on weck. didn't have time to make kummelweck rolls so i did a cheat and used some potato bread sliders, brushed the top with a bit of egg wash, put fennel and a really coarse sea salt on top and popped them in the oven for about 10 minutes. very thinly sliced roast beast, thin sliced swiss(we use Finlandia Heavenly Light - the only lower fat swiss that tastes like swiss), some shredded iceberg, one of john's tomatoes and thousand island dressing. made a side from Dorie Greenspan's new book - avocado with walnut oil. will see how he likes it.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

It not being lunch time yet, I'll detail yesterday's. As I live in one of the barbecue havens of the world, I indulged: Purity Barbecue's lunch special, a choice of ribs, beef, ham or pork shoulder, sliced or chopped, with two sides (I chose baked beans and slaw)and iced tea. For $7.75. And it's enough beef and beans (I did eat all the slaw) that it served for dinner that evening.

Can't beat it.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Couple lunches this week,

The taco truck that Bourdain went to in the SF episode is 10 minutes away from me in Oakland.

5031416776_6d91301366_z.jpg

The best Bún bò Huế in Oakland at Pho King near that same taco truck.

5040459548_5f94760ceb_z.jpg

Yum

Edited by ScottyBoy (log)

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog

• 3 weeks later...

DSCF0280.JPG

The rest of the jellied yellowtail stock I made last week was looking at me accusingly from the fridge shelf. Beside it was an identical plastic container with two or three tinned tomatoes and lower down were again identical containers with (dashi not included) miso in them. Stock from blue fishes can be hard to pair up, but here were the beginnings of a plan.

I sauteed a sliced clove of garlic briefly in a knob of butter, then mashed the toms up with the wooden spoon as I stirred them in. I added a tablespoon of miso once that had come to a simmer (sorry, miso soup purists), added the stock, tasted (salt OK; ground in some black pepper) and simmered for 5 or ten minutes.

Back from the weekend I've no bread, so i zapped a 7-11 100yen frozen pilaf that I had on hand and blessed it with a medama-yaki (cooked eyeball, or to you and me, a fried egg).

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

lunch at 230 today just before i went on the floor. homemade tomato basil soup that i drizzled with some balsamic olive oil and accompanied by a slice of pumpernickel bread that i spread with some tangy blue cheese.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

lunch at 230 today just before i went on the floor. homemade tomato basil soup that i drizzled with some balsamic olive oil and accompanied by a slice of pumpernickel bread that i spread with some tangy blue cheese.

Oooo- pumpernickel and tangy blue sounds like a great combo

• 3 weeks later...

I spied these oysters last night when I went out for fish. They're from the cold, clean waters of Iwate prefecture - as opposed to the, umm, nutrient-rich Hiroshima area. The shells were on the friable side, so when it came to opening they were a shucking nightmare, but after breaking two bottom shells in half and losing all the juice from the first oyster, I got a feel for them:

DSCF0064.jpg

DSCF0067.jpg

- followed by some sliced parmesan between toast, and a quick stir-fry of leeks with a little home-salted-pork.

• 3 weeks later...

Blue Nile - veg combo 001.jpg

I've been visiting our Ethiopian restaurants over the last several months and last Friday I had my second visit to Blue Nile. The Doro Wat I had here on my first visit was excellent and they do the best injera, thin, spongy, and diaphanous, but I was a little disappointed in the vegetable combo. The Timatim Fitfit was fine and the Gomen and Shiro Wot were very tasty, interesting because those have been the ones I liked the least at other places, but otherwise everything seemed very bland.

El Punto Criollo - patacones 001.jpg

I was running a bunch of errands on Saturday and stopped off at El Punto Criollo, a Venezuelan cart, for a quick bite. I knew they did very good empanadas here but I tried the Patacones this time, the Venezuelan sandwich that substitutes mashed, fried plantain for bread. The carne mechada was perhaps the best I've had at our limited number of Venezuelan places but the plantains had soaked up a lot of grease and this was really heavy. Still, quite a bargain for just a buck. I neglected to get the name of the cheese and they didn't offer and I didn't remember to ask for the guasaca, which would have helped.

El Punto Criollo - hallacas 002.jpg

They were advertising their hallacas in the window so I picked one up for later and steamed it the next day. This is the first time I've been able to get one of these - they're available for such a short time - and it was very good. Beef, chicken and pork, green olives, capers and raisins. I went back the next day and got several more for the freezer.

• 2 weeks later...

Tomato soup (starter size) at Ceramic Kitchen, Cherngtalay, Phuket. Damn good and fine value - a lovely creamy body and nicely chunky texture that lets you taste individual elements - biting into wee lumps of black pepper was perfect.

DSCF0211.JPG

Clam chowder and a salad, the daily lunch special today at Culinary District, the Surfas store here in Hot Springs. No photos; didn't have a camera with me. Damn fine!

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com