• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! (2003-2012)

beans

Chris - you take the most amazing food pictures!

Ditto.

I haven't had lunch yet, but I'm planning on having some leftover wings from Buffalo Wild Wings and some ramen. And probably an apple and Stacy's Cinnamon Sugar pita chips (I'm so in love with them!) :wub:

There is no love sincerer than the love of food. - George Bernard Shaw

star shaped cookies - my blog

Monday Leftover lasagna

Tuesday Leftover lasagna

Wednesday, is it Wednesday already? Leftover Lasagna

what should I have tomorrow? I think ...Lamb

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

• 2 weeks later...

I'm happy. We just got a new restaurant in town this week. Lebanese food cooked by a Lebanese family. I plan to single-handedly keep them in business. :biggrin:

Yesterday was lamb shawarma and labneh, today was falafel and tabbouleh, both meals ended with nammoura. I'm supposed to be shedding the winter pounds to get ready for the cycling season. Oh well. I told them I'm coming in during a slow time next and I want them to give me what they think I should try prepared as they would eat it. They were agreeable so I'm looking forward to it.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Bruce -- that spinach sounds amazing. I don't suppose its "adapted" enough that you could post a more exact recipe with some proportions?

Emily -- Thanks! A little googling turned up a recipe: Parsi-style braised greens. I hope you like it (and do try it with ghee instead of oil :smile: ).

Lots of wonderful looking lunches, folks! I am so jealous - I work in a dr's office and have only 1/2 hour. We have drug reps who bring lunch in, which is really nice, but it tends to be chain restaurant fare - lots of Olive Garden pasta and faux deli sandwiches :sad: !

Here's a lunch from back on Saturday, the 5th that I made. St. Louis Toasted Ravioli w/

roasted tomato sauce, Cheese stuffed pretzels and Salad:

gallery_34972_5891_194738.jpg

Kim:

DROOL!!!!

I love THOSE prezels - frozen section of the grocery store...right? I cannot remember the brand - but they come in mozzerella/pizza sauce filled, apple/cinnomon filled, and a new one I spotted and purchased a few weeks back GRILLED CHEESE FILLED - YUM - they're good!)

Toasted ravioli are something I have WANTED to try for quite some time - but never have. Did you make those? If so how? recipe and technique por favor????? If you bought them and re-heated...please tell me the brand and where I might find them. They look marvolious.

P.S. did I mention I LOVE cheese....so cheese filled anything I love. Stuff a sock with cheese and I might even eat it! (kidding....or am I?)

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

Kim:

DROOL!!!!

I love THOSE prezels - frozen section of the grocery store...right? I cannot remember the brand - but they come in mozzerella/pizza sauce filled, apple/cinnomon filled, and a new one I spotted and purchased a few weeks back GRILLED CHEESE FILLED - YUM - they're good!)

Toasted ravioli are something I have WANTED to try for quite some time - but never have. Did you make those? If so how? recipe and technique por favor????? If you bought them and re-heated...please tell me the brand and where I might find them. They look marvolious.

P.S. did I mention I LOVE cheese....so cheese filled anything I love. Stuff a sock with cheese and I might even eat it! (kidding....or am I?)

Lindsay Ann - Here's the recipe. You do use frozen ravioli (you can use meat or cheese stuffed), but you do all the breading and frying yourself, so they are Semi-homemade, I guess :laugh: . It's a Cuisine at Home recipe.

The pretzels were the grilled cheese ones. They were wonderful! I woke up the other morning thinking of them and wondering if I had time to make one before I had to get to work! Thank goodness for my counter top convection oven :wink: !

• 2 weeks later...

I had a hankering for scallops today and bought a handful for lunch,

gallery_16643_1028_7198.jpg

Sauteed ginger slivers in peanut oil, six scallops (a little over an inch wide) about a minute or two on each side, then a bath of mirin & soy sauce that boils when added. A few seconds of that thickens the sauce. It's like candy I tell you!

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Johnny, can I come too? I might try that recipe when I get some fresh scallops here from the street market. Would the bath of mirin be a splash or a couple of splashes?

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

About an ounce each of soy and mirin goes in and bubbles up right away. Swirl the pan so the scallops get coated. The liquid evaporates quickly and the sauce thickens. Remove scallops to plate and pour sauce over them - be careful not to let the sauce get too thick. Pour water into pan to facilitate cleaning.

Bon Appetit!

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

Portland Food Map.com

Those scallops look amazing.....I'd kill to have those for breakfast, lunch, or dinner! I miss the Digby scallops I used to get in Nova Scotia, soft and pillowy, and succulently sweet- I just can't find the like here in Japan.

I made hiyashi chuka for the first time for lunch today - it's a kind of cold noodle salad made with fresh ramen noodles, and in the version I did, it has a dressing made with white miso and ground sesame seeds. The recipe sounded promising, but the taste was just too bland for me. The recipe calls for an alternate version with a vinegar/soy sauce-based dressing that I think I'll try next time - it sounds sharper and more interesting.

gallery_41378_5233_43949.jpg

Those scallops look amazing.....I'd kill to have those for breakfast, lunch, or dinner! I miss the Digby scallops I used to get in Nova Scotia, soft and pillowy, and succulently sweet- I just can't find the like here in Japan.

I made hiyashi chuka for the first time for lunch today - it's a kind of cold noodle salad made with fresh ramen noodles, and in the version I did, it has a dressing made with white miso and ground sesame seeds. The recipe sounded promising, but the taste was just too bland for me. The recipe calls for an alternate version with a vinegar/soy sauce-based dressing that I think I'll try next time - it sounds sharper and more interesting.

gallery_41378_5233_43949.jpg

Nakji - this looks looks like my favorite kind of salad. I love noodles or rice mixing with the cool crunchy salad. Good job, but sorry about the dressing. I'm curious, what are the pink strips under the tomatoes?

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

• 2 weeks later...

Ham Sandwich... with pineapple!

gallery_16643_1028_49986.jpg

Smoked ham, domestic swiss, grilled fresh pineapple ring, red onion, dijon mustard.

Hey, why not?!

Portland Food Map.com

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am still testing recipes for Mr. Kim's fantasy football draft party, so for lunch on Sunday, we had these:

gallery_34972_3580_185454.jpg

That's mini reubens - two ways. One is open faced and broiled, the other regular sandwiches wrapped in foil and baked. Both had the same ingredients - mini rye bread, corned beef, 1000 Island, Swiss cheese and sauerkraut. We preferred the open faced one, but both were very good.

• 2 weeks later...