• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! (2003-2012)

beans

I was feeling homesick so I fixed Fried Bangus (Milkfish) with soysauce-calamansi juice dip. I also panfried some homemade gyoza which we also dipped in the soysauce-calamansi mix. I haven't ladled the rice yet since it was still finishing up on the stove after I fluffed it up and turned off the heat.

gallery_48583_5441_75143.jpg

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Well I am doing a pre spring purging of the larder (if you want to join us check out the thread)

and using every thing up ..for the next ten days I am not buying anything but Oil and eggs ...no going out to eat either ..I am on a kitchen larder diet!.. .and am using up everything I have ..out with the winter in with the spring I say ..the Hell with that damn Groundhog ..he is across the country anyway what does he know???

yesterday I had this wonderful bowl of boiled peanuts for lunch with a Jamaica flower spritzer ...and had no idea it took three freaking hours to boil these things!!! oh well they are so good it was worth every steamy moment!

gallery_51681_4569_24653.jpg

today I am taking this soup to work it is a spicy/creamy acorn squash soup ...with ground up roasted peanuts in there...I need a new camera badly...(maybe not shopping for ten days will buy me one :smile: ) the soup is actually deep buttery yellow not white and fuzzy!

gallery_51681_4569_30212.jpg

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

unfortunately no pictures of the food as they would not let me take them but after running some errands i ended up in this place;

gallery_403_5778_146362.jpg

it si in a strip mall in ledgewood new jersey.

here's the menu

gallery_403_5778_677386.jpg

i had a meat pattie fresh and hot out of the oven, the goat curry and a ginger beer. total was 18.18 and it was wonderful. just enough spice to make you warm but not so much that you blew your mouth out.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Fresh Sardines at Harbor Fish Market, Custom House Wharf, Portland ME

gallery_16643_1028_46001.jpg

Served with tomato/onion/cilantro in red wine vinegar, and country bread slices. This was a typical beach shack dish in Portugal only they were butterflied and grilled.

gallery_16643_1028_30834.jpg

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Enmoladas de Pollo - shredded chicken folded in corn tortillas and covered in Mole. The Mole is Mole Coloradito, made using mole paste purchased at our local Oaxaca mercado.

gallery_58047_5582_98771.jpg

While the mole wasn't made from scratch, the stock we added to it was - using a chicken purchased at the same market. Feet and all.

gallery_58047_5582_24155.jpg

Food Blog: Menu In Progress

That looks good!  But where's the bechamel?  I love the rich goodness of bechamel with my croque!

I've never had one with bechamel, or mornay. I guess I should add that to my list of things to try... would not have worked well with this one, I don't think. This bread choice was a mistake.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Wouldn't that (and a fried egg) make it a croque madame? Or can t he monsieur have bechamel too? I feel dumb.

Easy to get confused, since there are a number of "croque" variations, but I always thought that the egg was all that was required to turn a "monsieur" into a "madame." I have never had one with a sauce on top, but I have heard of it, and it was still called "monsieur," at least on that menu. Any food historians care to shed some light?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Easy to get confused, since there are a number of "croque" variations, but I always thought that the egg was all that was required to turn a "monsieur" into a "madame." I have never had one with a sauce on top, but I have heard of it, and it was still called "monsieur," at least on that menu. Any food historians care to shed some light?

I'm no food historian, but I can search wikipedia with the best of them, and it agrees with what you said.

Food Blog: Menu In Progress

Had a very chill day of being alone in the house after cooking till late last night.. In efforts to not get out of my drawls today, I Made venison steak au poivre (with half and half).. Used an armagnac cause thats the only thing besides Campari, gin, or wine in in my house...

Made a large Cafe au lait (w/half and half) and stole half a twix from the little one's Halloween bag we forgot about.. To finish, I drank a little glass of a 79 sherry and made had some cheeses left over from last night.

I feel rather slothy.

Edited by Daniel (log)

Was going to McDonald's for a quick lunch as I usually get get something to go and come back to work but this time I said no. So off to the sushi bar I went. Spicy scallop hand roll, Hamachi hand roll, albacore hand roll, rainbow roll. I'm stuffed.

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band