• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! (2003-2012)

beans

Spanakopita, crisp Fuyu persimmons, teriyaki pineapple chicken meatballs (Aidells brand), hummus sprinkled with Aleppo pepper, and vegetable sticks of carrot, cucumber, red and yellow bell pepper, and snow peas to dip in the hummus. Morning prep time: 4 minutes, using leftovers. Details at my blog.

gallery_8185_4873_22855.jpg

gallery_403_5359_385131.jpg

Wow! I can almost smell it. I miss a good bowl of Bun Bo Hue.

Day 2 of my great boxed lunch adventure:

gallery_41378_5233_364647.jpg

Leftover chicken with teriyaki sauce, some broccoli stem and red pepper kinpira, and some mushroom rice. I had some kabocha squash I wanted to put in the top as well, but I'm still getting used to the dimensions of my box. So I plopped it on the rice, instead.

Carrot salad with parsley, olives, feta, and pine nuts. Apple and two clementines. Not pictured: mug of tea, square of Valrona Guanaja chocolate.

gallery_22182_2693_59202.jpg

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

Packed myself lunch and dinner for tomorrow, since I'm on campus till late. Lunch is on the right, its a mayoless tuna salad and lettuce on a pita that's about to fall apart (it's more like a lettuce sandwich thats wrapped in bread), carrot sticks, and half an apple. In the middle are snacks: peach yogurt and a leftover from packing a previous lunch: tortilla spread with cream cheese and chopped olives. Dinner's on the left: spaghetti, tomato sauce, and mini chicken meatballs from the freezer, and coleslaw mix with a vinaigrette. I love me my lock&lock boxes, they're completely watertight :smile:

2010392379_4ff7945e4c.jpg

Kate

• 2 weeks later...

After teaching in the morning stopped off for lunch at a new place in town, Doc's. They are a steak house and offer lunch Wednesdays- Fridays. I could only eat half of the food since I also had a nice, cold draft Stella Artois so here is what I will be having for lunch at work today:

gallery_403_5444_24013.jpg

gallery_403_5444_129840.jpg

real onion rings in a light batter perfectly fried, burger with blue and bacon done MEDIUM on a warmed bun and homemade coleslaw - very creamy. and the grill man can actually cook it to medium!!!

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I had an urge to have roast potatoes for lunch, and being the weekend that's exactly what I did. This was my first attempt at a technique I saw Jamie Oliver do (although no doubt countless others have done it as well), where you par-boil the potatoes first, then drain and smash around in the pot to rough up the edges before roasting. I was very impressed, these were the crispiest roast potatoes I've had. For added flavour I added some rosemary and garlic cloves to the cooking water.

gallery_38684_2093_11107.jpg

Dr. Zoidberg: Goose liver? Fish eggs? Where's the goose? Where's the fish?

Elzar: Hey, that's what rich people eat. The garbage parts of the food.

My blog: The second pancake

We had a special birthday lunch for my Mum, so it was a nice big meal!

Dad cooked a mixed vegetable "curry" and some spicy potatoes, and I made moong dal with tomatoes and courgette and also a delicious rice and green peas pilau, in which the rice was cooked in coconut milk. For pudding I made home-made rasgollas and they were divine!

I had the same mabodoufunasu that I had yesterday, but this time I had the brilliant idea of adding an onsen tamago!

gallery_11355_878_4550.jpg

It was awesome!  I wish the egg had been a little runnier, but what can you expect from store-bought onsen tamago?

gallery_11355_878_18176.jpg

Ahh, onsen eggs! I used to have to make those in bulk for a restaurant that I worked for. Those were a pain to make, you couldn't really keep your eyes off of them.

• 1 month later...

for johnnybird's lunch (since he is in a no wheat position now) deconstructed ham and cheese sandwich - finlandia heavenly light, nature's promise black forest ham, roasted red pepper and a smear of light mayo. the center was filled with baked potato chips.

gallery_403_5610_216281.jpg

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

had the early afternoon off and wanted to enjoy something light and summery...since we had sunshine here on tuesday before the snow came. sauteed some cherry tomatoes with lemon, zest, garlic, and tarragon. grilled some bread and poured them ontop. boy was it good. more info and the recipe on my blog.

tomatotarragon.jpg

tami h.

food stylist and food blogger

Running With Tweezers

Ahh, onsen eggs! I used to have to make those in bulk for a restaurant that I worked for. Those were a pain to make, you couldn't really keep your eyes off of them.

I love onsen tamago, but if I had to make them myself, I'd never have any.

The beauty of living in Japan...store-bought onsen tamago. :wub:

Before calories or cholesterol mattered, I used to make fettucine Alfredo at least weekly. Scrounging around for a bite, I was surprised to see heavy cream and parmigiano reggiano in the refrigerator. No fettuccine, so I used angel hair pasta and Marcella Hazan’s recipe from The Classic Italian Cookbook.

Served with extra parmesan sprinkled on. Yum.

gallery_42956_2536_1292.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Round 2, week 2 of my little one being home with a virus.  After a long morning of playing Polly Pockets, Mommy deserved this for lunch...if only it were not too early for a glass of wine. :wacko:

Duck Breast with a Sherry Shallot Reduction & Asparagus

gallery_15437_3722_8586.jpg

That looks lovely!

And, it's NEVER too early for wine :wink:

Leftover Japanese chicken curry with rice and rakkyo pickled scallions. Here it is assembled donburi-style, nuked and ready to eat:

gallery_8185_4873_18162.jpg

I packed it to go in a microwave-safe donburi bento box I picked up in San Francisco's Japantown -- pretty cool. Full details and a review of the box are on my blog.

gallery_8185_4873_17896.jpg

I decided I wanted pasta alla bolognese for lunch today (getting out of my grilled sandwich rut) since I had five containers of bolognese in the freezer. Evaluating my dried pasta selection it occurred to me that I could probably make fresh pasta in the amount of time it took to boil the water, which sounded like an interesting challenge. It turns out that it took about 3 minutes longer... doh! :smile: And I look like I've been dredged in flour... :biggrin:

Fettucini alla Bolognese on fresh egg pasta:

gallery_56799_5710_84206.jpg

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I decided I wanted pasta alla bolognese for lunch today (getting out of my grilled sandwich rut) since I had five containers of bolognese in the freezer. Evaluating my dried pasta selection it occurred to me that I could probably make fresh pasta in the amount of time it took to boil the water, which sounded like an interesting challenge. It turns out that it took about 3 minutes longer... doh! :smile: And I look like I've been dredged in flour... :biggrin:

Fettucini alla Bolognese on fresh egg pasta:

gallery_56799_5710_84206.jpg

I have to applaud that. Those noodles look FANTASTIC. And now, at 11:30 at night, I want pasta... :blink:

Erin

"American by birth, Irish by the grace of God"

Based on last night's pork roast, I followed the January 2008 Fine Cooking recipe for "Grilled Roast Pork Cubano Sandwiches":

gallery_56799_5710_63314.jpg

I definitely recommend this one, although I think you need to cook them over much lower heat to get everything warmed up at the same time, or you need to pre-warm the meats, etc.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org