• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! (2003-2012)

beans

Peanutbutter and strawberry jelly on white bread. Squishy cottony supermarket white bread.

This is the routine, if I am unpacking groceries/white bread any time near lunch I put away the cold stuff then make a PB&J and eat it.

Then I put away the rest of the food and invariabley find something refridgerated hiding at the bottom of an unpacked bag.

oh well

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

• 3 weeks later...

I just made some bibim guksu for lunch. It's a korean dish of cold buckwheat noodles mixed with: lettuce, salted cuke, chopped kimchi, and a mixture of gochujang, sugar, sesame oil, sesame seeds, and some rice wine vinegar. It's really easy to make, its great since it's cold and plus it's like 90 degrees here in the kitchen. Their is no ac here :angry:

gallery_44829_4802_26610.jpg

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

I need to get a new digital camera so I can post pics. In the meantime, text only:

Today was a fritatta with just-blanched sea beans and some fresh basil from my garden. Shaved pecorino on top. Homebrewed hard cider (dry and very crisp).

Tim

Here in my country, with great variability, breakfast, lunch, and dinner have equal weight. That is, the same amount of rice for all 3 meals. However, since July 4 was Fil-American friendship day, I thought I'd give a light lunch a try with something (er) Italian-American: Italian Cornbread with Sundried Tomatoes, then I made up for its lack of sweetness (which I love in cornbread, sue me!) with a side of baked beans. Mmmmm.... Fiber-y....

gallery_53129_4592_40872.jpg

Thankfully, I'm not hungry yet! Though it's 3PM already, which is about time for an afternoon snack (merienda).

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

Today, a portion of smoked salmon (rubbed with smoked habaneros, dried garlic and kosher salt and smoked over applewood) and the end of a loaf of homemade french bread. Very simple, as my co worker commented, but extremely tasty.

Dave's current blog has inspired me to fix my very first Salad Nicoise. My version doesn't have anchovies (I ran out) and green peppers for red bell peppers. It was still mighty tasty.

gallery_48583_3621_172750.jpg

Close-up of yummy goodness...

gallery_48583_3621_54606.jpg

The beans and tomatoes were freshly picked yesterday from a friend's farm. Everything was delicious!

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Steamed pork buns and sauce, tangerine teriyaki tofu, edamame, cherry tomato, and pepperonata (roasted red peppers in rustic tomato sauce). Packed in 8 minutes: how-to at my packed lunch blog.

gallery_8185_4873_164340.jpg

My preschool-age son had the same, plus doctored macaroni and cheese with ham, sauteed red bell peppers, onions, zucchini, green onions, and jarred mild ajvar (roasted red pepper and eggplant spread) for a little something different.

gallery_8185_4873_59875.jpg

You know, I'm going to have to start carrying my digicam whereever I go.

Chicken parm with yellow rice, sauteed onions and peppers.

By the way, I'm sure there's a topic somewhere about food preparers wearing plastic gloves. I had asked for some peppers and sauce, and he scooped up some with his [covered] hands. :wacko: It would've been nice if he'd used a spoon instead.

Bigfoot, I love your nicely packed lunches. I also love that you made sure your son got plenty of vegetables in his mac and cheese!

gallery_53129_4592_33291.jpg

Ham and Mozzarella cheese sandwich with caramelized onions, pineapple glaze, and onion rings as described in the Onion Rings thread. Best and most well-behaved onion rings I've ever tasted. I ate them with barbecue sauce :smile:

edit: My bad. I thought I read my onion ring method from here, but it turns out it's not there. I just picked it up from the Inter-nets.

Edited by jumanggy (log)

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

Bigfoot, I love your nicely packed lunches. I also love that you made sure your son got plenty of vegetables in his mac and cheese!

Thanks jumanggy! That's one way I got him to eat pretty much anything -- chop it up small, saute it, and mix it in with something else.

Thanks jumanggy! That's one way I got him to eat pretty much anything -- chop it up small, saute it, and mix it in with something else.

Gorgeous lunches! What is tangerine-teriyaki-tofu?? do you make it ? What a wild combination! At least to me.

I lurk, but rarely post on this thread, but the weather has been gorgeous, so it's been lunch on the roof most days this week.

2 days ago: red wine and zucchini flower risotto

gallery_14010_3559_63384.jpg

And today was a cold lunch: hard boiled eggs stuffed with yolk, anchovies, onion, capers, parsley, and some mustard/olive oil/red wine vinegar, tomatoes with oregano, mozzarella with basil, lentil salad, cucumber salad, aged pecorino, and some Sicilian tuna fish. How come Italian tuna fish tastes sooo good?

gallery_14010_3559_13186.jpg

Edit because I forgot to post the picture! See what happens when you have a little wine with lunch?

Edited by hathor (log)

Judith you have a roof deck?? thats it we are coming over....someday

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Gorgeous lunches! What is tangerine-teriyaki-tofu?? do you make it ? What a wild combination! At least to me.

Yup, I made it from a recipe in Steve Raichlen's "How to Grill" book. Press firm tofu for an hour to get out excess water, marinate at least 1-2 hours in the fridge with a combo of teriyaki sauce, tangerine juice & peel, star anise and garlic, then either grill on skewers or pan fry. We had extra marinated tofu leftover from grilling before, so I just had to pull it out of the fridge and give it a quick sear on the stove. Handy and FAST!

I had some leftover Japanese chicken curry from dinner, so today’s lunches are a Leftover Remake using the curry and frozen unsauced pasta: curry pasta. I packed curry gemelli with chicken, carrots, onions, potatoes and added broccoli. The fruit layer has fresh figs, half an apricot, blackberries and mango nectarine. Packed in 6 minutes. Full info on the curry, reusable hard plastic food cups, packing delicate fruit, and packing details is here if anyone's interested.

gallery_8185_4873_123978.jpg

Edited by Bigfoot (log)

Invited my korean teacher and my russian friend Oksana for lunch and I made Chicken Adobo for them.

Chicken Adobo

gallery_48583_3621_109471.jpg

With Bruce's eternal cukes and cherry tomatoes as sides...

gallery_48583_3621_178252.jpg

I also served garlic fried rice but I forgot to take a picture of it. :rolleyes:

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

My son and I had dolmas, slow-cooked salmon with yuzu miso sauce, plum tomatoes, tabbouleh, a bunch of tiny Champagne grapes, baba ghanouj and Hami melon. Morning prep time: 6 minutes, using leftovers and deli food. Recipes for the salmon and yuzu miso sauce, and detailed packing info here at my blog.

gallery_8185_4873_66914.jpg

gallery_8185_4873_37559.jpg

this was my lunch yesterday ..Samosa's from Pablas in Renton WA ...my husband brought these back while I was varnishing 938475 miles of trim for our basement ...I kissed him :smile:

gallery_51681_4569_23492.jpg

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Today's lunch on the roof was a grilled chicken, a simple cold potato salad and a tomato salad. The chicken was marinated in a thick paste of garlic, sweet red onion, oregano, fennel seed powder and hot chili oil. It's so hot here....I'm thinking of opening an Indian restaurant....maybe if we all eat chilis we'll feel cooler?? :blink::huh:

gallery_14010_3559_2705.jpg

Invited my korean teacher and my russian friend Oksana for lunch and I made Chicken Adobo for them.

Chicken Adobo

gallery_48583_3621_109471.jpg

Domestic Goddess, hi.

Is your adobo the version that's cooked in coconut cream and vinegar, without soya sauce, it seems pale? Another version I know is cooked in patis(fish sauce) and kalamansi lime(calamondin orange), with coconut cream.

Edited: I finally figured out how to post pics.

Edited by Fugu (log)

You know how sometimes you just stumble onto something that is sooooo good that it suprises you? That happened to me today! I toasted some roasted garlic Italian bread, rubbed with fresh garlic, spread a bit of mayo on it, sliced avacado, S&P, Olive oil, lime juice, diced jalepenio pepper, and cilantro. OMG! It was Just Amazing tasting! Course, :wink: could be just the time of month for me?!..........But, I don't think so.

gallery_48503_4932_569384.jpg

Add fresh from the vine tiny tomatoes and o.O., how could it be wrong!?

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

Pork and Chinese spinach gyoza with dipping sauce, purple kale with garlic and red wine vinegar, curly leaf lettuce, black Corinth Champagne grapes, and a peeled fresh lychee. Morning prep time: 12 minutes. Kale recipe, preschooler and husband lunches, and detailed packing notes are at my speedy packed lunch blog.

(Edit: Just realized I actually ate this for dinner instead of lunch -- anyone know how to delete a post?)

gallery_8185_4873_8077.jpg

Edited by Bigfoot (log)