• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! (2003-2012)

beans

gallery_21505_2541_55979.jpg

Braised escarole and beans. This was the hit of the evening. Everyone oh'd and ah'd over this! Really delicious, fragrant with lemon juice, garlic and chili, the sweet beans and slightly bitter greens.

Inspired by this rave (+ the link Klary so kindly sent me after I PM'd her - thank you!), I made these for lunch today. Well. Bowl one, I was thinking, hmmm, these are all very well, nice enough but a bit ho-hum. Bowl two, on the other hand, with more lemon, more salt + at room temp rather than hot, was amazing! Leftovers for breakfast I think...

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

gallery_21505_2541_55979.jpg

Braised escarole and beans. This was the hit of the evening. Everyone oh'd and ah'd over this! Really delicious, fragrant with lemon juice, garlic and chili, the sweet beans and slightly bitter greens.

Inspired by this rave (+ the link Klary so kindly sent me after I PM'd her - thank you!), I made these for lunch today. Well. Bowl one, I was thinking, hmmm, these are all very well, nice enough but a bit ho-hum. Bowl two, on the other hand, with more lemon, more salt + at room temp rather than hot, was amazing! Leftovers for breakfast I think...

I made these based on all the raves, too, and had the same delayed reaction. But, man, once you get "the reaction," you're hooked! I think this is a fine example of the whole being greater than the sum of the parts (or whatever that lame expression is).

I like it closer to room temp, too. The lemony, spicy, almost creamy sauce is better that way.

I had a turkey and brie sandwich with tomato, onion, cucumber, basil, and honey mustard on foccacia from Panino. This place makes awesome sandwiches, and I just had to share this picture.

panino9.jpg

Edited by Restorer (log)

-- There are infinite variations on food restrictions. --

Crooked Kitchen - my food blog

• 2 weeks later...

In Germany the main meal of the day is lunch. The day before yesterday we decided to make Sauerkraut and Nuernberger Bratwurst.

1024_3664363237356635.jpg

Because the weather in the last few weeks was hot and sunny we took the meal on the terrace with a good Erdinger Weissbier and had fun.

1024_6562646637653837.jpg

H.B. aka "Legourmet"

Nice looking lunch, Heinz! We haven't had sun in over a week, so I'm jealous. Although today is turning out to be gorgeous.

Fresh fava and mint pesto on pasta. I adore fresh fava, and I don't care how long it takes to peel those stupid, slippery, little buggers!

gallery_14010_2363_39898.jpg

gallery_14010_2363_75425.jpg

Judith: you're really an inspiring photographer!

Down in the Italian forum we have to start a retrospective thread once the 2005-2007 survey has ended, detailing what dishes were new to us when we picked up Kevin's lead and prepared meals based on local traditions of all of Italy's regions.

Before we began, I had purchased fresh fava beans from my beloved vegan farmer, Heinz, once. So-so results. THEN, all of a sudden the beans started to appear in the upscale grocery chains and a month spent in Liguria introduced me to the wonders of maro. Your batch looks spectacular! I made some last week and after seeing this post, I suspect it will be dinner tonight.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Grilled cheese sandwiches for me.

I used some plain medium cheddar for some good melty action and shaved a few slices of Maple Dale six year old Private Reserve cheddar for an extra blast of cheesey goodness with a thin slice of ham on whole wheat bread. Fried them up on my new Kitchen Aid Support Breast Cancer Research non stick pan. A quick lunch but pretty tasty!

About two months ago, I bought a Mr. Bento lunch thermous. I love this thing! It's made packing my lunches for work a whole lot more fun.

Here are some pictures of my Bento lunches. (Be gentle with me, this is my first attempt at posting pictures, and they're from my camera phone since I was at work!)

Homemade tomato soup, salad with greens, almonds, craisins, goat cheese and walnuts, chicken sausage, homemade sourdough:

gallery_45424_4661_73261.jpg

Spaghetti with Marcella Hazens tomato sauce with butter, spinach salada with pine nuts and parmesan, tomato olive salad:

gallery_45424_4661_124951.jpg

Pasta with red sauce, vegetables marinated in Italian dressing, homemade cheddar garlic bread:

gallery_45424_4661_3504.jpg

Deconstructed salad Nicoise - tuna salad, green beans, tomatoes, olives, and potatoes in olive oil dressing, homemade cheese bread garlic toast:

gallery_45424_4661_137354.jpg

"Nothing you could cook will ever be as good as the $2.99 all-you-can-eat pizza buffet." - my EX (wonder why he's an ex?)

My eGfoodblog: My corner of the Midwest

I'm at home, I feel like shit (I'm having withdrawal symptoms from not taking some medicine for a week- and I just started taking it again today), and I have no digi cam sooooooo

Im having a cup of hot genmai cha (it's rainy and cold here in boston). I am also eating a tiny tiny bowl of some steamed rice with corn. I had a cob of corn laying around, so I cut the corn off and threw it in a my rice cooker with some korean rice.

I am having the most boring and bland lunch ever!!! (:

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

Rich Chocolate Royal Slim-Fast...Mon-Tues-Wed-Friday...Thursday I had cookies

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

About two months ago, I bought a Mr. Bento lunch thermous.  I love this thing!  It's made packing my lunches for work a whole lot more fun. 

Good for you! I've been packing bentos for my daughter for quite awhile now. I'm going to get a Ms. Bento and start bringing my own lunch, too.

Dividend, I LOVE that Mr. Bento thermos. What a great idea! Very cool lunches.

Thanks for the kind words about maro, that was one of my favorite flavor discoveries in the Italian regions. Who would put mint and fava together??

I've had a terrible, awful, very bad stomach bug, and today was the first day that I could eat lunch. Good roasted pork Cuban sandwich and some chicken soup.

Zoe's By the Lake - about 3 miles on the road for us

so johnnybird and i have been married 25 years...and three days now. we were down in the crest at our place for 10 days but didn't really go out much(and missed egulleteer Katie Loeb, unfortunately), were coming north on the parkway just as that flare was dropped and hit traffic up at denville curves onto 15 north....i did not feel like going out. wednesday was spent restocking pershibles... back to work on thursday for me but today, after stocking up for the reappearance of the cookie monster (brother-in-law) for the Heaven and Hell concert tomorrow....I WAS HUNGRY.

get dressed. you are taking me out to lunch...

glass of lillet blonde (shared)

the bread basket with a country french bread, garlic bread and the warm rosemary rolls served with butter and a garlic herb butter. i am not a bread person. i bake it, i use it but i don't get turned on by it. get the freakin' rosemary rolls and DO NOT SHARE.

for me the baked three onion soup and the baby golden beet salad with apples, smoked bleu cheese, walnuts and sherry vinaigrette. the onions and broth were wonderful, just what was called for on this cool, dreary day though about half the bowl was congealed gruyere cheese at the end - way too much cheese for me. the salad was a cold composed one. didn't notice the apple but the vinaigrette and beets and cheese were incredible.

for my beloved the roast wild king salmon with artichokes, baby tomatoes, black olives, capers, red onion, yukon gold potatoes with a lemon thyme buerre blanc. now johnnybird is extremely lactose intolerant. asked for the salmon to be cooked in olive oil and without the beurre blanc. the dish was served with a lemon thyme reduced sauce of some sort on the side. since he had snarffed down 1.5 slices of garlic bread and, despite my best efforts, a rosemary roll he ate all of his vegetables and half the salmon. the other salmon was removed from the skin and placed, delicately, between the slices of country french bread that was drizzled with the reduction and brought home for a lovely late afternoon snack.

we shared a split of 2001 "Les Charmes" chardonnay.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

judith and sheena - clear broth my darlings

thanks for the best wishes. tonight the johnnybird is off the the heaven and hell concert with Ronnie James Deos(?) with 2 brothers and a sister-in-law.

today tried a Taste of Asia spicy hot and sour noodle soup i got on sale with a coupon. too much sodium for me(brought on a massive hot flash) but i tasted wonderful

tracey - tooooooo funny.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Finally some properly nice weather, so lunch in the park around the corner from the library:

peanut butter sandwich, dried figs, apple, orange, and a flask of tea

gallery_22182_2693_125656.jpg

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

I had my Slimfast for breakfast so my supervisor could take me to California Pizza Kitchen for lunch. I ordered the half caesar salad and we shared the Southwest Chicken Pizza, the boss looked a little confused when I asked the waiter for some extra dressing on his swing by. Then I showed her under all the cheese there was No dressing :blink:

Ah well it was a free lunch

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

My wife hates to cook and rarely does. Yesterday though, out of the blue, she took a notion to make quiche. She wanted no help from me and spent a few hours on the computer learning how it was doen. She made the pastry, used beans as pie weights and cooked it perfectly. She sauteed some onions and mushrooms, added bacon and grated cheese and put it in the oven. It was a terrific dinner yesterday and I am enjoying it just as much for lunch today.

She has forever blown her "I don't know how to cook" excuse.

Well done Glynis!!!

My wife hates to cook and rarely does. Yesterday though, out of the blue, she took a notion to make quiche. She wanted no help from me and spent a few hours on the computer learning how it was doen. She made the pastry, used beans as pie weights and cooked it perfectly. She sauteed some onions and mushrooms, added bacon and grated cheese and put it in the oven. It was a terrific dinner yesterday and I am enjoying it just as much for lunch today.

She has forever blown her "I don't know how to cook" excuse.

Well done Glynis!!!

Dramaaaaa!!!! She's not the woman you thought you married!

(Anyway, learning is living, so good for her! It won't be long before she's an eGulleter, heh heh.)

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.