• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! (2003-2012)

beans

sunday lunch for two: asparagus with herby camembert. i blanch the asparagus briefly, arrange 2 slices of the cheese on top of the spears and bake in the oven until gooey and melted. the cheese would've been even better a few minutes longer in the oven but i almost collapsed from hunger!

The strawberry cake is based on Patrick's recipe from this thread. I made it once before and really liked its flavour and colour. For this most recent occasion, I baked it in an 11 x 17 sheet pan, halved it, stacked it and created an 8 x 11, letter-size cake. To frost the cake, I whipped up a batch of cream cheese whipped cream. I thought the cream cheese and strawberry flavours came together quite well. The cake was a hit, especially amongst the female guests.

The strawberry cake is based on Patrick's recipe from this  thread. I made it once before and really liked its flavour and colour. For this most recent occasion, I baked it in an 11 x 17 sheet pan, halved it, stacked it and created an 8  x 11, letter-size cake. To frost the cake, I whipped up a batch of cream cheese whipped cream. I thought the cream cheese and strawberry flavours came together quite well. The cake was a hit, especially amongst the female guests.

Zee, which one of the three cakes that Patrick did on that thread is the one that you worked from? They all look good! And yours was beautiful, too!

Zee, which one of the three cakes that Patrick did on that thread is the one that you worked from?  They all look good!  And yours was beautiful, too!

It is his third cake. With the incorporation of strawberry puree and Jello, the whole kitchen smelled like strawberries.

Left-over rice fried with spinach, fermented black beans, soy sauce, egg, garlic, cayenne & toasted sesame oil. This was a very successful experiment. Especially served with roast chicken and steamed carrots as well (dinner last night).

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Made a chicken salad for lunch today...poached a chicken breast in some stock, then mixed with chopped yellow pepper, cucumber and red onion. Dressed it with some mayo, Dijon mustard, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper.

gallery_26775_1880_36042.jpg

On the side, a tomato salad with basil from my freshly-pruned windowsill plant! Also dressed with some olive oil, a touch of balsamic, some kosher salt, and pepper.

gallery_26775_1880_37435.jpg

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Needed to fortify myself for a trip to the Greenmarket, so I had some pasta today. Also, since I had nothing in the house (and hence the trip), I had to get creative with leftovers. I ordered in steamed chicken and broccoli last night, so I used the broccoli to make penne with garlic, balsamic, and a little chicken.

Also used a lot of hot pepper flakes...

gallery_26775_1880_13868.jpg

A little brown, but tasty!

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

Lunch today was supermarket sushi...a nice example of supermarket sushi. AND a vanilla frosted donut with rainbow sprinkles.

I know that Dunkin Donuts stink, and that Stop and Shops are even worse. I even know that Shoprite has good ones, I had just forgotten How good they are. It was an effort not to drive across town for another one, and to actually go back to work instead.

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Had a the organic beef burger and Better Fries (they're actually baked) for lunch today at Better Burger on 2nd Avenue. It was pretty good! The burgers all come with tomato, lettuce, pickles, and red onion, and you can choose from a number of organic ketchups and mustards. I went for regular organic ketchup, chipotle ketchup, and chipotle honey mustard, which went great with the burger AND the fries.

gallery_26775_1880_44011.jpg

gallery_26775_1880_222409.jpg

gallery_26775_1880_17014.jpg

Queenie Takes Manhattan

These pretty tomatoes on toasted brioche with some purple basil.. I sliced the tomatoes and added a little sugar, sea salt, and pepper.. Let sit for 20 minutes.. Then added to a mayo'd up brioche..

gallery_15057_2971_109817.jpg

gallery_15057_2971_110897.jpg

Sick..

gallery_15057_2971_22825.jpg

Was playing around with dinner for tonight.. Made this basil pasta dough so I was trying to see how I liked it best.. Fettucinni in a quick sauce with some of the left over tomato slices,garlic, and olive oil.. Tortellini stuffed with ricotta, mozzarella, and parm reg.. I am making a ravioli with the same stuffing..

gallery_15057_2971_13494.jpg

gallery_15057_2971_166524.jpg

• 6 months later...

Well it`s supper time here now ..........but lunch today was butterflied pan fried pigeon breasts(marinated in evoo/garlic and rosemary) in pitta bread with salad and pease pudding.

V. tasty if I don`t mind saying so myself :biggrin:

"It's true I crept the boards in my youth, but I never had it in my blood, and that's what so essential isn't it? The theatrical zeal in the veins. Alas, I have little more than vintage wine and memories." - Montague Withnail.

.......... and pease pudding.

V. tasty if I don`t mind saying so myself  :biggrin:

Nine days old?

I've had snert, but never pease pudding. Is it made with the same stuff that you use for mushy peas that come with fish and chips, or something else entirely?

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Is it made with the same stuff that you use for mushy peas that come with fish and chips, or something else entirely?

No it`s made with yellow split peas and traditionally the water used to boil a Ham shank and I like to sweat an onion and celery in butter and process this into it to add a little sweetness to the salty pea mush :raz:

"It's true I crept the boards in my youth, but I never had it in my blood, and that's what so essential isn't it? The theatrical zeal in the veins. Alas, I have little more than vintage wine and memories." - Montague Withnail.

Well it`s supper time here now ..........but lunch today was butterflied pan fried pigeon breasts(marinated in evoo/garlic and rosemary) in pitta bread with salad and pease pudding.

V. tasty if I don`t mind saying so myself  :biggrin:

That sounds really, really good! I love pigeon...but its hard to find in the States.

P.S. Thanks Pontormo!!

Another of my sporadic contributions to the ongoing chronicles of What We Cooked (or, in the case of lunch, What We Ate Regardless Who Cooked It).

I'll just begin by saying that after today and yesterday, if I don't see another chocolate anything for the next month, I won't complain.

That's because I've spent the past two days at the Hotel Hershey, a luxurious resort facility in The Town That Chocolate Built, Hershey, Pa. The College and University Public Relations Association of Pennsylvania holds its annual conference here, and this was my first time in attendance.

We wrapped up the affair with lunch in the hotel's famed Circular Dining Room.

gallery_20347_2076_97690.jpg

When Milton S. Hershey built the Hotel Hershey in 1932-33 as a way to provide employment for his workers during the Depression, he insisted on building the hotel's main dining room on a semicircular floor plan. As a hotel brochure explained it, Hershey noted that if you tip a maitre d' poorly, you often get seated in an out-of-the-way corner of the restaurant. He didn't want that to happen here, so he built a restaurant with no corners--and a panoramic view of the hotel's garden terrace and the Hershey Gardens beyond.

The lunch buffet was fabulous! I'm sorry I didn't get more pictures; I felt a little self-conscious working in shots of the food while fellow CUPRAPers were helping themselves to it. "These for eGullet?" my Widener Law colleague Mary Allen asked me as I moved in to shoot this:

gallery_20347_2076_81674.jpg

Seared Pink Snapper with Thyme Beurre Blanc

I also had some of this:

gallery_20347_2076_27072.jpg

Roast Angus Beef with Sauce Chasseur

and this:

gallery_20347_2076_93942.jpg

Assorted Cheeses: Blue, Pepper Jack, Brie

but not this:

gallery_20347_2076_42581.jpg

Assorted cold cuts and sandwich cheeses

Instead, I also had a tangy chilled crabmeat and seafood salad that I thought was even better than the snapper, roast turkey breast with okra remoulade, fusilli with mixed vegetables and cream sauce, and <mumble>, a mushroom-seafood bisque.

Finally, there was dessert.

gallery_20347_2076_13703.jpg

Clockwise from extreme right: Fruit medley, mini chocolate cream tarts, chocolate cheesecake, chocolate tarts topped with dark chocolate wafers, chocolate tarts with pretzels dipped in white icing, <mumble>, chocolate bread pudding (in chafing dish), chocolate mousse (behind plant), chocolate mousse tarts with shaved dark chocolate.

I had the chocolate bread pudding and the chocolate cream tarts.

As if that weren't enough chocolate, every dessert we were served at the other meals at the conference incorporated chocolate, there were mini-Hershey bars (milk, Krackel, Mr. Goodbar, Special Dark) in bowls at every table at the conference sessions, and the housekeeping staff placed four Kisses on your pillow at nightly turndown.

I was surprised that they didn't serve us mole poblano chicken at some meal.

I'd totally do this again -- same time, next year. I'm going to start saving now so I can afford the chocolate facial and wrap at the hotel's spa.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

wow, sandy - what a spread. if it does you any good johnnybird knows the head of the cardiac unit at hersey medical...

late wake up and work so an odd day

snyders pretzels with cheddar

mini 100,000 bar

my first slurpee, ever. :blink:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

The strawberry cake is based on Patrick's recipe from this  thread. I made it once before and really liked its flavour and colour. For this most recent occasion, I baked it in an 11 x 17 sheet pan, halved it, stacked it and created an 8  x 11, letter-size cake. To frost the cake, I whipped up a batch of cream cheese whipped cream. I thought the cream cheese and strawberry flavours came together quite well. The cake was a hit, especially amongst the female guests.

What a beautiful cake! And it is decorated so beautifully! May I ask how you made your cream cheese whipped cream? That sounds like a wonderful topping for the cake! How long will the topping last on the cake in the fridge?