• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! (2003-2012)

beans

In an effort to save money, I bought bone-in chicken breasts last week, and have been boning them myself, mostly cooking them on the grill pan. For lunch today, I quickly marinated one in a little olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Grilled it and served it with two salads.

Potato salad: yukon golds, cut into quarters and boiled in salted water, tossed, when warm, with shallots, whole-grain mustard, a little mayo (Hellman's, mais oui!), red wine vinegar, parsley, salt and pepper.

Cucumber salad: one kirby cucumber, sliced, tossed with sliced white onion, rice wine vinegar, a littler sugar, salt and pepper.

Summer is here!

gallery_26775_1880_21768.jpg

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

While sitting at my desk at work: A greek type salad with cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, olives, sundried tomato and oregano feta cheese and shrimp with olive oil, red wine vinegar, oregano with a bit of C citrus salt. One of my favourite lunches to bring to work, lots of flavor with the least amount of effort.

I bought the salt on my last visit to Vancouver and LOVE it. :wub:

A fresh bun (to sop up all those yummy juices), yoghurt and banana bread on the side.

A truly destitute man is not one without riches, but the poor wretch who has never partaken of lobster. - anonymous

So, the other night, inspired by Klary's delicious-looking noodles with beef and Sriracha, I made these. And then, this afternoon, I decided I wanted some more! Luckily, I didn't make the mistake this time of making too many noodles. :laugh:

gallery_26775_1880_47575.jpg

Today, in addition to the basil and Sriracha on top, I added some lime zest...such a good, easy dish. A perfect lunch, pungent, sweet, and spicy.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

No lunch today...just breakfast of leftover tacos...LOL..

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

Today..... a cheese omelet, a pate de campagne, green salad with vinaigrette, black and green olives, cornichons, lightly toasted day-old baguette generously spready with butter, a delicious Israeli rose (Yatir winery, 2005), espresso coffee.

As Damon Runyon would have put it, "nicely, nicely".

Some smoked salmon (lemon pepper and candied nuggets) while waiting for my local seafood market to pack up 6 oysters to go (2 beau soleil, 2 malpeque and 2 effingham). They will shuck them for you and place them on a bed of ice in a styrofoam container so that you don't lose all those delicious juices. Sat and slurped them at my desk, naked, just the way I like em. :wub:

Best $6 lunch I've ever had while sitting in front of the computer at work!

A truly destitute man is not one without riches, but the poor wretch who has never partaken of lobster. - anonymous

Leftover crab from a Chinese restaurant...it was fried and wok-fried with salted egg yolk used as a "sauce".

What did you think of it? I've tried it before too, as leftovers, and it sounded better than it tasted. My favourite is still "qing jing" (plain ol' steamed).

Sloppy joes. I'd been craving them forever, but didn't want to use the manwich sauce. And the recipe I used came from none other than RACHEL RAY! :shock: Yes, I know that many of you despise her in a way bordering on pathological but these were, as she would say very loudly, DEELISH! :biggrin:

RR's Sloppy Joes

I made the addition of a little louisiana hot sauce, and bumped up the vinegar and worcestershire sauce. Yum-oh. :wink:

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Mmmmmmm, pad thai!

I had a chicken salad sandwich today...poached a chicken breast (skinless, boneless) in some chicken stock and gave it a large, rough chop. Tossed it with some homemade mayo, chopped cucumber (seeds removed) and red onion, salt, pepper, and curry powder. Threw it on a couple of slices of delicious bread that I bought this morning at the new Real Food Market at Lafayette and Spring along with some crisp romaine and sliced plum tomatoes.

gallery_26775_1880_15955.jpg

On the side, a tomato and onion salad with some homegrown, windowsill basil. :smile:

gallery_26775_1880_23411.jpg

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

Queenie Takes Manhattan

Stopped at a local fish market and bought some fresh oysters to slurp,...and soft shelled crabs to sautee up. Next stop, wine shop to pick up some Sauvignon blanc.

Not a bad lunch, huh?

Edited by Cook456 (log)

I had dim sum...tripe with black pepper, pan-fried Chinese radish cake with Chinese bacon and dried shrimp, egg tarts, taro and shrimp-filled spring rolls, shrimp dumplings, fried tofu with minced pork, shark fin dumpling with bamboo pith, and tapioca pudding with chestnut paste.

It was quite a lot of food for two people, but we finished it all! :smile:

Had kind of an odd lunch...I was craving potato salad, and needed to eat some green veggies. So...lunch was a warm potato salad and a tossed salad.

gallery_26775_1880_41563.jpg

Queenie Takes Manhattan

I made use of some leftover london broil from dinner on Saturday night:

gallery_2_4_53099.jpg

I sliced open some hot dog rolls and laid them flat on the broiling pan, and topped with leftover sliced london broil, shredded cheddar cheese, and sliced fresh vine ripened tomatoes. Broiled in the toaster oven for 4 minutes.

gallery_2_4_46169.jpg

This time, the poodle didn’t get any.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host