• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! (2003-2012)

beans

while coming home from a conference in massachussets over the weekend i saw a sign that prompted a longing so for lunch today....

a grinder. slightly hollowed out steak roll lightly toasted, pickled peppers, virginia ham, thinly sliced gherkins, hot cappacola, sliced provolone. run it under a broiler until the cheese melts and then serve with some coleslaw..........

almost as good as the ones elsie made at tony's restaurant in sag harbor.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

OOh- I'm glad this thread has been bumped. Did somebody mention Gyros?:

gallery_21237_2037_2101.jpg

That baby is from a place in Glen Cove, Long Island, NY. I'm not sure the photo really does it justice, but it is as tasty as it is big. And it is big, a real gluttonfest (I'm so bad sometimes :hmmm: ). I've gotten to the point that I don't even bother with the side of fries anymore. Anyway, the place has a real old-school charm, like it's been there forever (and the guys tending the grill as well); I just wish I could go more often.

I do most of my restaurant hopping during the lunchtime hour, and some weeks I cover a lot of territory. I'll have to remember to bring my camera along. I'll leave you guys with an older shot, though I am here at least once a month and the quality never wavers. This is a thali lunch from the House of Dosas in Hicksville, and I am convinced that it is the best 7 bucks you can spend on the Island:

gallery_21237_1811_92508.jpg

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

Normally, I eat in my company's cafeteria, but after nearly 5 years of that, I'm starting to get bored...

So today... I went to the 'wichcraft kiosk in Bryant Park. Got the roast turkey sandwich with avocado, bacon, onion relish on a ciabatta roll. I automatically love anything that has avocado and bacon in it and the onion relish was sweet and savory at the same time. For dessert, I had the peanut butter creamwich cookie. I think this may be the best peanut butter cookie in nyc.

-spaetzle

Those Witchcraft sandwiches always sound so good. They have to open up a place in southern Queens, which is where I am most of the time. Speaking of which...

If you work in and around JFK for a while you will eventually hear about Biordi's Italian Deli. It's a friendly small neighborhood spot in a residential area that you would never find on your own (at the corner of 135 Ave and 128 St). Their version of the 'Italian Hero' (similar to the one Sandy posted above) is the best I have found in the area, and that includes Howard Beach.

gallery_21237_2037_61725.jpg

I just love this kind of sandwich to begin with- all of the flavors are so complimentary to one another and blend so perfetly. Biordi's uses capicola (Carando), none of the 'cappy' stuff, soppresata (Citterio- gotta love those peppercorns), genoa salami and provolone. It is dressed with hot peppers, lettuce, onion and tomatoes. It may not be the best in the city but it's good to have something of this quality close by.

aka Michael

I ate at subway. I order a veggie 12 inch veggie with everything. I got just what I asked for. Bunch of tasteless stuff and a few hot peppers on a souless bread. I don't know what I was thinking. That's one meal I won't get back.

• 2 weeks later...

That sandwich looks great, TongoRad...

I made a nice Saturday lunch today...Susan in FL's Champagne Vinegar Chicken. I like mine with lots of veggies (mirepoix plus tomatoes...yum) and plenty of freshly ground black pepper. Served on a small bed of no-yolk egg noodles tossed with parsley, pepper and salt.

gallery_26775_1880_37094.jpg

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

That sandwich looks great, TongoRad...

I made a nice Saturday lunch today...Susan in FL's Champagne Vinegar Chicken.  I like mine with lots of veggies (mirepoix plus tomatoes...yum) and plenty of freshly ground black pepper.  Served on a small bed of no-yolk egg noodles tossed with parsley, pepper and salt.

gallery_26775_1880_37094.jpg

oh Megan, that looks amazing! Your pasta dishes are always so colorful and light looking. :smile:

~Radio

the tall drink of water...

• 3 weeks later...

I found myself on Long Island around lunchtime again today, and no trip that puts you close to the Nassau/Suffolk border (I came from Farmingdale- that's not too far, is it?) is complete without a stop in Massapequa for...

gallery_21237_2037_31661.jpg

a stop at All-American for a burger and some of their legendary fries (they've been doing it the same way for decades). I mentioned these in another thread, but I figure they are always worth another shot:

gallery_21237_2037_26679.jpg

Those are the real deal, folks- twice fried genuine potatoes, complete with the little crispy bits in the bottom of the container. The burgers are very good indeed (today's photo was lousy, though- my fault) but the fries are what brings you back again.

aka Michael

• 2 weeks later...

So, I had roast chicken for dinner last night...the idea behind that is to use the lefovers for the next few days in different ways.

Today for lunch, I piled up some of the cold breast meat (which I drizzled with pan juices before refrigerating last night) and topped it with a warm corn and tomato salad. I used frozen corn (nothing good at the market this morning), which I defrosted and then sauteed briefly with a little garlic and olive oil. Tossed that with some plum tomato, parsley, salt, pepper, and a little red wine vinegar.

Yum!

gallery_26775_1880_39569.jpg

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

a stop at All-American for a burger and some of their legendary fries (they've been doing it the same way for decades). I mentioned these in another thread, but I figure they are always worth another shot:

gallery_21237_2037_26679.jpg

Those are the real deal, folks- twice fried genuine potatoes, complete with the little crispy bits in the bottom of the container. The burgers are very good indeed (today's photo was lousy, though- my fault) but the fries are what brings you back again.

OMG, those are so beautiful. I want fries now, but I know nothing I can find in Midtown will even begin to compare...sob. :wink:

Queenie Takes Manhattan

Thanks for the kind words Megan and christine007. Would you believe that those fries are only $1.25? (even more reason to be jealous, I'm sure :wink: ). No wonder the line is always out the door at lunchtime...

Nice looking chicken salad, Megan. I'm sure that it'll be even better in a few months with summer corn and tomatoes.

christine007- I saw your post last week and it definitely put me in a chicken salad frame of mind as well. I did mine for dinner and posted it on the Dinner thread, but you definitely pushed me in that direction so thanks!

aka Michael

The other day I bought way too much pancetta so since then I've had to use it up by including it in as many meals as I can. Forced to eat lots of pancetta, I know, life is hard :raz: Last night was rigatoni all'amatriciana, and lunch today it was a quick pancetta and spinach risotto.

gallery_38684_2093_93820.jpg

I'm still pretty new to risotto, and this was the first time I didn't make the careless mistake of cooking off almost every drop of liquid and ending up with sticky rice. Next time I think I'll make the pancetta even crispier. Nonetheless, warm and perfect for this overcast day!

Dr. Zoidberg: Goose liver? Fish eggs? Where's the goose? Where's the fish?

Elzar: Hey, that's what rich people eat. The garbage parts of the food.

My blog: The second pancake

OOh- I'm glad this thread has been bumped. Did somebody mention Gyros?:

gallery_21237_2037_2101.jpg

That baby is from a place in Glen Cove, Long Island, NY. I'm not sure the photo really does it justice, but it is as tasty as it is big. And it is big, a real gluttonfest (I'm so bad sometimes  :hmmm: ). I've gotten to the point that I don't even bother with the side of fries anymore. Anyway, the place has a real old-school charm, like it's been there forever (and the guys tending the grill as well); I just wish I could go more often.

I do most of my restaurant hopping during the lunchtime hour, and some weeks I cover a lot of territory. I'll have to remember to bring my camera along. I'll leave you guys with an older shot, though I am here at least once a month and the quality never wavers. This is a thali lunch from the House of Dosas in Hicksville, and I am convinced that it is the best 7 bucks you can spend on the Island:

gallery_21237_1811_92508.jpg

Where in Glen Cove? I went to highschool there and my mother still lives there part of the year.

I had two, yes two bagel dogs from Einstein Bagels...delicious. Ddesert was a drumstick! MMMM SO GOOD. I am lazy today yes I know. And my breakfast, also from einstiens - blueberry bagel with loads of cream cheese!

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

I had two, yes two bagel dogs from Einstein Bagels...delicious. Ddesert was a drumstick! MMMM SO GOOD. I am lazy today yes I know. And my breakfast, also from einstiens - blueberry bagel with loads of cream cheese!

The "special sandwich of the week" at Pret a manger. It consisted of Curried Turkey salad, sliced cucumbers, arugula, and pignoli nuts on WW bread. YUM

Where in Glen Cove?  I went to highschool there and my mother still lives there part of the year.

Andros Grill, right in the heart of town. I have also gotten very good reports on the Peruvian chicken place next door by my friend who lives in Oyster Bay, but I haven't been there yet myself.

aka Michael

Made Buffalo Wings... Bought the wings, cut them with a pair of scissors, had them frying on the range in minutes.. Tossed them in Hooters Wing Sauce I purchased after discovering it on some random trip.. There sauce tastes like its a few pumps of Movie Butter combined with a Cayenned Frank's Hot Sauce ..

gallery_15057_2971_61925.jpg

Edited by Daniel (log)

Stopped off at the Yankee Smokehouse in Osipee, NH on the way back from a long weekend up North. As the waitress said, it's all about the pig. Not bad for the money, and I've had leftovers for lunch for days now.

gallery_38820_2994_22655.jpg

gallery_38820_2994_15919.jpg

gallery_38820_2994_6217.jpg

gallery_38820_2994_1320.jpg

gallery_38820_2994_19416.jpg

Eating pizza with a fork and knife is like making love through an interpreter.

Made Buffalo Wings...  Bought the wings, cut them with a pair of scissors, had them frying on the range in minutes..  Tossed them in Hooters Wing Sauce I purchased after discovering it on some random trip.. There sauce tastes like its a few pumps of Movie Butter combined with a Cayenned Frank's Hot Sauce ..

1) I thought Frank's RedHot! Sauce was a cayenne pepper sauce.

2) You do know that Frank's now makes a RedHot! Buffalo Wing Sauce. You don't even have to add the butter yourself any more.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

After telling some random construction workers (who arent allowed inside the building) that our cafeteria food is lame and I either get pizza or a bad expensive burger... I went in and found peanut noodles with watercress, jicama and cucumber salad.....damn tasty even if the noodles were fetuccini

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association