• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! (2003-2012)

beans

Sharp cheddar cheese with mayo on white bread (has to be white bread) with jalapeno potato chips and a granny smith apple.

Reminds me of summers at my grandparents farm.

Today is going to be one of those days.....

Since I retired and closed my retail store, I have been working out of my home by selling my remaining inventory on eBay. Occasionally, I join some fellow AtlantaCuisine participants to explore a new restaurant - but most of the time I fix lunch at home.

Yesterday, I had a ham and provolone sandwich on wheat bread and a peanut butter and grape jelly on wheat bread along with two lemon stuffed green olives and one mild pickled okra and a can of Diet Rite tangerine soda. A golden delicious apple for dessert rounded out the meal.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a leftover lemongrass pork chop from dinner last night, so I cut that up and made a salad with romaine, red onion and a red wine vinaigrette.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Today I had a toasted whole wheat bagel with hummus spread on it and a very large vanilla latte. From my favorite little cafe in South Philly - Benna's at 8th & Wharton Streets.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Fish heads, fish heads, roly poly fish heads...

ala Eden:

gallery_20334_1469_72613.jpg

Lunch today was fresh bread with butter & some honey. We meant to have soup with the bread, but you know how it is when you get a loaf hot from the oven...

there's not really much left now except the bones :laugh:

gallery_20334_1469_94902.jpg

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

My cousin took me out for a Thai lunch.  Everything was amazing. 

That's so cool-looking, Yetty! Wow - how nifty!

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

As an act of kindness I ordered lunch for the office today.. Everyone's came but mine, the guy paying for everything.. So I bought 8 lunches and ate none.. Looks like its diet pepsi and a whole bunch of nothing for the kid..

Edited by Daniel (log)

I stir-fried some pork shoulder with sliced "pressed" tofu in a Taiwanese hot sauce (it's kind of sweet too), soy sauce, fermented black beans...

It was salty, spicy, and a bit sweet. Delicious.

Is this Shaing Gan Rho Szi (sp)? I've been trying to make this at home for years and it never comes out quite like at the best Chinese restaurants. Do you have a recipe you can share?

I made a grilled panino with lamb prociutto, aged provolone, fresh basil, truffle salt, ground pepper, and caramelized onions and peppers. All ingrediates bought from the Pike Place Market in Seattle, except for the lamb prociutto which I got from Salumi.

Edited by hhlodesign (log)

Megan, your risotto looks delish.

The organization provides catered plated lunches gratis, which we either eat together at a round all-purpose table or at our desks.

Basically, it's a rice-and-three meal; sometimes with soup and always with a cracker/chip/crisp. Dessert is usually fresh fruit: bananas, oranges, melons or whatever is convenient at the market and/or in season.

Yesterday, it was pulled chicken in soy sauce, fried noodles and capcay - stir-fried vegs. I ate the slice of watermelon first :raz:

gallery_11814_1914_15255.jpg

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Today, started out with some of these rolls.

gallery_11814_1914_32008.jpg

And then, some Indonesian style egg foo yung with spicy tomato sauce, cucumber salad tossed with egg dressing, and a piece of chicken fried fish.

gallery_11814_1914_20996.jpg

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

"Many Treasures" - in other words, leftovers! Castellucio lentils with shallot; brown rice; roasted courgettes; green beans with parsley + garlic - all tossed with a little tomato + olive sauce + pinged in the microwave for a warm rice salad. Then, two cheap chocolates from the giant tin on the reception desk.

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

• 2 weeks later...

Had an avocado to finish off, so I whipped up Avocado and Pistachio Crusted Snapper and a little green salad (a very green meal). I totally forgot the panko in the crust, but didn't miss it. I'm sure it would have provided a nice crunch, though.

Oh, and a kick ass flourless chocolate cake leftover from yesterday's New Year's Day lunch (which was seafood gumbo, black-eyed peas, and coleslaw).

Edited by bavila (log)

Bridget Avila

My Blog

Not the healthiest lunch in the world. I heard two people in the office talking about how they drank Johnny Walker Blue for NYE.. Walking by hearing this, I told them about the bottle I had in the trunk of my car.. One things leads to another and we are standing around a double shot in the break room.. Really busy today so that counts as lunch..