• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! (2003-2012)

beans

I had a sunflower seed butter and grape jelly sandwich on a buttermilk white bread. Nothing too exciting. I've been nauseous all day (and who says you only get morning sickness the first trimester of pregnancy) and it's all I've been able to keep down besides a single mango hi-chew.

Cheryl

Cheryl

Tossed salad (romaine, cucumber, orange pepper, red onion, tomato) with chicken.  I sauteed the chicken in a little olive oil, then used the pan drippings to cooks some shallots.  I deglazed the pan with sherry vinegar and whisked in a bit of butter (inspired by Susan's butter dressing from last month), and added the warm dressing to the salad.

Eaten after cleaning my apartment from top to bottom, and while watching BBC's Pride and Prejudice.  No better way to spend a rainy Saturday.

gallery_26775_1880_106054.jpg

I want YOUR Saturday!!! I'm ordering one just like it for next week.

Ours was sunny and gorgeous, with a bit of patio sweeping, flower de-heading, and lunch of salad: romaine, slivered sweet onion, parmesan shreds, homemade skillet-toasted Challah croutons, with dill dressing. I came in from the garden with my shirtfront held up, filled with just-picked tomatoes. We quartered two and laid them on the salad. Microwaved a little cup of leftover yellow rice cooked with tomatoes, black beans and cumin.

We're in the middle of the city, but I imagined I could smell the drift of leafsmoke from an Autumn fire somewhere in the neighborhood.

One of my favorite sandwiches -- skirt steak, greens, cheese curds, and plenty of Louisiana pepper sauce. Usually I braise the steak (and I don't always use cheese curds, since we can't get them year round), but this was a spur of the moment thing, so I just seared it on cast-iron with a little salt, wilted the kale in the pan and plonked it on the bun while the steak rested, and then tossed the steak and curds on the still-hot pan long enough to melt the cheese before plonking them on top of the greens.

left over buttermilk pancakes (leftovers from Sunday's breakfast :shock: they sat happily in the fridge for 2 days until I remembered them an hour ago).

Briefly heated in the microwave to take the cold off, spread with soft sweet butter, sprinkled with crunchy cane sugar.

I like leftover pancakes better than fresh ones. I remember as a child, when we had had pancakes for dinner (don't ask - it's a dutch thing, large pancakes with bacon & syrup or cheese & syrup or just plain..) I would take the leftover plain ones to school with me the next day for a special lunchtime treat.. These were large and thin, the size of a plate, and my mom would spread them with butter, sprinkle with sugar, and roll them up. They were a kind of guilty pleasure and such a nice change from the healthy and sensible cheese sandwiches that made up my lunch on any other day.

So I had a taste of the playground just now.. tasted exactly like it did

20-something years ago...

Edited by Chufi (log)

:rolleyes: That sounds good, Chufi!

Today I had a tossed salad with mixed greens, cucumber, tomato, red onion, alfalfa sprouts and beets, with balsamic vinaigrette. On the side, a honey whole wheat role and a Diet Coke (I'm an addict!). For dessert, one of the chocolate chip cookies I baked last night.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

After having a decent sized breakfast yesterday, I was not too hungry, so I tried some mini Masala Dosas (rice and lentil crepes stuffed with spicy potatoes) that I had purchased at the store.

gallery_21049_162_6858.jpg

gallery_21049_162_63975.jpg

Just pop them in the toaster oven for 10 min or so. Not as good as fresh ones made at home or in the Indian restaurants, but not bad in a pinch.

Cheers

Percy

Edited by percyn (log)

Deli roast beef sandwich with mayo and country-style dijon on Pepperidge Farm white bread; big bowl of fresh homemade applesauce spiced with cinnamon, cloves, and allspice

~ Lori in PA

My blog: http://inmykitcheninmylife.blogspot.com/

My egullet blog: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=89647&hl=

"Cooking is not a chore, it is a joy."

- Julia Child

Yummy leftovers today: a few slices of smoked duck breast, a wedge of Marechal cheese and some baguette. Followed by an apple off one of my dads trees. Too bad there was no wine!

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

A big salad - arugula, walnut oil, walnuts, D'Anjou pear, and a decent local sheep's milk bleu cheese. Generous sprinkles of pepper and fleur de sel.

I love being able to go home for lunch.

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

And they were oysters two.

Two oysters met two oysters

And they were oysters too.

Four oysters met a pint of milk

And they were oyster stew.

Today I had a single perfect ...leftover lamb chop, and a test meatball while cooking the meatballs. After which I remembered (ok he called) my husband wasnt going to be home for dinner. Into the fridge with the meatballs off to a job interview.

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

tuesday it was raining so a day off. after the gym took myself out to lunch at a newly reopened place. new owner/chef - new menu. best bargain i've seen in a while. entree was two pieces of stuffed cabbage, side was pan fried vegetables ( and believe me he isn't shy with the garlic!!). the veg were wonderfully crispy soft and the sauce for the cabbage was sweet and sour. total cost - 8.48 plus tip.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites