• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Battle of the fake potato chips: Stax v. Pringles

Fat Guy

Pringles lovers click here.

Egad.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Remember O'Boisies, the freeform potato-batter chips? I believe the slogan was "O'Boisies are o'boisterous." When I was a kid I wondered, hey, if they're using a batter, why make the chips the same size as regular chips? Why not make them unbelievably huge?

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

I haven't tried Stax yet - tho I am a recovering Pringles addict (i once was sent 37 cans for my -- you guessed it -- 37th birthday). In retrospect, that may be why I don't eat them anymore....

Anyway, as regards flammability, potato chips are extremely flammable. I read a book recently about the worst serial arsonist in history -- a fireman in California who set something like 400 fires over 15 years -- and one of his favorite spots to start fires was under potato chip racks (the open, wire kind). Once a bag at the bottom burned open, the whole rack would go up like gasoline. Makes sense - the potato chip is basically a starch matrix with many of the spaces filled with very flammable oil. Get any grain or spud dry enough, and it will burn just fine w/o oil -- add the oil, and stand back...

Great posts!

All right, I now have samples of both Pringles and "original" Stax in-house. I will conduct a side-by-side comparison tomorrow.

Uh, and if any of you works for Financial Advisor Resource, the Society of Manufacturing Engineers or American Business Journals, Inc. -- this is not why my article is late. Nuh uh. No sir.

Chad

Edited by Chad (log)

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com