• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Battle of the fake potato chips: Stax v. Pringles

Fat Guy

And, just for the record, I like the Pringles cans.  Modern packaging all looks the same to me.  Makes me want to yawn.  I like the distinctive plain-ness of the Pringles can.  And it brings back memories of making crafts in grade school.  Anyone else ever cover a Pringles can with wallpaper scraps and call it a pencil holder?? :raz:

I like the Pringles cans, too. Two empty ones with the lids on make the best impromtou bongos in the snack aisle :biggrin:.

Chad

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

An old boyfriend of mine and I challenged each other to finishing the entire can of Pringles before we got them home from the 7-11, which was like 3 minutes away.  :wacko:

We did it.

No spillage, that I can recall.

I bet you were using the NEW! IMPROVED! PATENTED! NEAT-O Pringles extraction and consumption tool!

Gustatory illiterati in an illuminati land.

How do the fat contents compare. My experience shows a simple formula: %fat + potato chip = good eats.

The scary thing about Pringles -- I have never been able to duplicate this with a normal potato chip -- is that you can hold a match to one, and it will catch on fire and burn like a little potato candle until there is nothing left.

Pray tell, why did you set a Pringle on fire?

It just occurred to me, the Pringle is a potato flake tuile. :raz::laugh:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

How do the fat contents compare. My experience shows a simple formula: %fat + potato chip = good eats.

The scary thing about Pringles -- I have never been able to duplicate this with a normal potato chip -- is that you can hold a match to one, and it will catch on fire and burn like a little potato candle until there is nothing left.

To see if I could do it.

There has to be a lot of fat in something like that to burn like a candle. You can see the fat bubbling out of the burning Pringle like tar from a Russian cigarette.

--

OK, raise your hand if you're heading to a store within the next 12 hours to buy some Pringles so you can light them on fire.

*raises hand*

:blush:

These demonstrations were performed on a closed track by a trained driver. eGullet and slkinsey, inc. do not recommend using Pringles in a manner inconsistent with the manufacturer's instructions, and are not responsible for any property damage or bodily injury that may result from such use. :cool:

--

OK, raise your hand if you're heading to a store within the next 12 hours to buy some Pringles so you can light them on fire.

*raises hand*

:blush:

What I wanna know is, if I light a Pringles can on fire, will it fly up into the air like a giant Amaretti di Saronno wrapper?

Gustatory illiterati in an illuminati land.

Upon further examination of the Stax cans, I've found something new to admire: I really appreciate that they refer to the plain flavor as "original," even though all the flavors came out on the same day.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

To see if I could do it.

I think you mean, "Because it was there."

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

And, just for the record, I like the Pringles cans.  Modern packaging all looks the same to me.  Makes me want to yawn.  I like the distinctive plain-ness of the Pringles can.  And it brings back memories of making crafts in grade school.  Anyone else ever cover a Pringles can with wallpaper scraps and call it a pencil holder?? :raz:

I like the Pringles cans, too. Two empty ones with the lids on make the best impromtou bongos in the snack aisle :biggrin:.

When you two are the only Pringles customers left in the universe, we'll be sure to note that you bravely stood together against the tide of progress.

Is there such a thing as stock in Pringles? Sell it now, people!

I agree that the Stax are somewhat better.  But they are SO much more expensive.  And people buying fake chips probably care as much about that as they do convenience or taste.

Why do you think they care about price? Aren't Pringles themselves significantly more expensive than regular potato chips?

I'm sure the Stax people can compete on price if they determine that's the way to go -- they can even sell the product at a loss for however long it takes to put Pringles out of business. But my guess is that they're pricing them higher in order to create the impression that they're a premium item that's better and fancier -- more prestigious, if you willl -- than Pringles and therefore worth the extra money.

Okay, looking at the nutrition labels, it appears there's very little difference between the two products on that front: both claim to have 160 calories per ounce, 90 of which are from fat. Interestingly, that's 14 Pringles but 13 Stax, according to the labels. Sodium content is pretty close -- a little higher for Pringles -- though Stax have added sugar and Pringles don't seem to.

Stax doesn't list corn and wheat as ingredients -- that's probably why they taste more potato-like -- but does list both modified and unmodified food starch.

One advantage of Pringles.  They are virtually ALWAYS on sale somewhere.

If you live by a Rite-Aid Pharmacy, for example, they are 99 cents this week.

If you go to http://www.laysstax.com you can spin the virtual roulette wheel and get up to a $1-off coupon.

Also noted, regarding Stax: "Questions or Comments? 1-800-352-4477 weekdays 9 to 4:30 central time."

But we have not answered the seminal question... Can you make decent duck lips with the competitor? :laugh:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

You have to eat more of the Stax and you have to do it side by side with Pringles. I can virtually guarantee you that you're just reacting against an unfamiliar product. Objectively the Stax have roughly the same amount of salt and grease in them as the Pringles -- they just seem to have a snappier texture.

OK. Will purchase Pringles and consume side by side with Stax.

Thanks for taking a bullet for the team! :laugh:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

So I steeled myself and went down the junk aisle in the Loblaw's Superstore.

Pringles. Lots of Pringles. A wall of Pringles stretching over my head like a vast wall of, well, round cans filled with Pringles of varied chemistry.

No Stax. No Munchos.

Before retreating I saw that Loblaws' No Name brand has a version of potato-slurry tuiles too.

Several years ago I actually used Pringles as tuiles with, I think, creme fraiche and chives and caviar just to see if I could get away with it. They were quite well-liked. :blink:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM