• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Competition: Round Twelve

Manet's "Dejeuner sur l'Herbe," a painting so enigmatic it's haunted me since I was five. (How many of your parents owned "Art Treasures of the Louvre?")

Whassup here? Food and naked ladies are happening, but not a whole lot of fun.

Please write me a story, send me an Art History Major dissertation, or explain what was on the menu. A smart-ass caption would also be welcome.

manet_dejeuner_sur_lherbe.jpg

I feel underdressed. Post your entries here:

"I should have brought a jacket and a green bean casserole!"

Edited by maggiethecat (log)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Manet's "Dejeuner sur l'Herbe," a painting so enigmatic it's haunted me since I was five.  (How many of your parents owned "Art Treasures of the Louvre?")

Whassup here? Food and naked ladies are happening, but not a whole lot of fun.

Yes, to my parents owning a lot of art books (grew up thinking our true last name was "Abrams!") and taking me to the Louvre at 8 years of age ... took my own child there for her 25th birthday ... a wiser notion on my part, it would appear ...

it was, naturellement, as I grew to adulthood that I came to have a greater appreciation of art, food, naked anybodies, and the joys of enigmas ... (do be a dear and don't read this as relating to colonics of any sort!)

I think of this painting as either seductive foreplay for these two men or perhaps a little enjoyable "cigarette" after the first act ... has a certain je ne sais quoi quality to it .. personally like Renoir's Boating Party Luncheon better and Seurat's Afternoon in the Park ... neither makes women look unduly foolish ... but that is just my opinion (credit here to the one and only Dennis Miller ... now he would have just the right caption!!)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One of my art history professors always had a thing for fruit and sexuality, so in honor of her, here goes:

Traditionally, fruit has been used as a symbol of sensuality. In the picture before you, you see the sensual and ripeness of the models echoed in the sensual and ripe fruit in the foreground: apples, plums, cherries. It is no coincidence that soft curves of the fruit are mimicked in the soft curves of the models - they play off each other to draw the view into the decadent world of the artist.

Wow! It's like I'm back in that dark classroom, discussing slide after slide of fruit symbolism, except I'm not falling asleep after the second hour...