• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pounds of Chestnuts

fifi

I thought that I had included this wonderful and informative link about chestnuts in one of my posts from a year ago, however I don't see it - may have been in another thread.

This site has a plethora of information about chestnuts, including some recipes and ideas about how to use chestnuts.

One link is no longer active but I am adding it here.

one of my favorites is a recipe for chestnut bread that is excellent -Captain Pugwash chestnut bread

Especially toasted.

I love chestnuts and have them canned, dried, frozen and and some that are steamed, roasted and peeled in jars.

I puree roasted chestnuts in a little maple syrup with some really good salted butter for a heavenly spread for scones, biscuits, toast or waffles. You can also spread this on crepes and roll up for another tasty snack.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 1 year later...

*bump*

It's that time of year again! I'm still searching for the perfect chestnut tool, and I came across this one. Do any of our resident gadget addicts have a chestnutter? I'm seriously considering buying one, but I'd like to know how well it works.

-L

• 1 year later...

Well, it's that time of year yet again and if there are any other chestnut lovers out there, I'd like to know if it seems normal for me to pay €3.5 (about $5) for 18 chestnuts, and then half of them are either wormy or mouldy? And this happens every time, no matter where I get them. So does this happen to everyone or is it just me?!

• 11 years later...

How to prepare chestnuts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hKm2WcXgzo

Having watched the above charming vid, i ordered a gardening pruning knife and followed his instruction, do you know "they will open like clams". It is true!

C3BE31F8-6C1E-439B-A699-3DA02E6CE234.jpg

Edited by naguere
spelling. (log)

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

On 11/24/2007 at 5:04 PM, pennylane said:

Well, it's that time of year yet again and if there are any other chestnut lovers out there, I'd like to know if it seems normal for me to pay €3.5 (about $5) for 18 chestnuts, and then half of them are either wormy or mouldy? And this happens every time, no matter where I get them. So does this happen to everyone or is it just me?!

pennylane (2007), i bought mine from M&S , not looking at the price, they were glossy and a reasonable size, i have six left :)

Edited by naguere
for elegance. (log)

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.